"Tweeting From The Bench" Edition of Post of the Week

POTW Bot

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topic: Brian Cushing

that turned out to be a baseless rumor... and the guy who reported it got in huge trouble from his employer.

true story a "source" told DD the same rumor and we passed on it, for a variety of reasons... foremost is we don't participate in bad news mongering, we want to report good news.

by the way everyone in the NFL is on juice. Even Chad. Even Kickers. Everyone.

The Nomination: "+1" Pragmatic Bus

Editor's Note: So, the rumor is baseless, but everyone in the league is doing it? Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Topic: Rex Ryan says F them to the Pats (Video)

I like how easy the two teams I hate the most make it so easy to hate them.

I mean going deep like that, seriously, what the ****? Bellichick has so much karma stacked against him later on in life, it's ridiculous. I bet he's going to be Ron Jeremy's hemroid cream in another life.

The Nomination: "i hate phags fans.....but this was funny!!!" neckdemon

Editor's Note: Yeah, it's tough on us Jets fans. The Dolphins, with Jason Taylor and Joey Porter, and their fans, are just so gosh darn lovable.

Topic: The Schotty stat-line (QB stats before, during and after Schotty)

[url=http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1451000#post1451000]

[Note: This is a sequel to my other thread, “Schotty’s ****t-ty Resume”, I wanted to look at the stats of QBs Schotty has had an influence upon, and their stats before, during and after his presence… Mods if you could hold off on merging this, I put a lot of time into this… thanks]

Black= Stats before Schotty

Green = Schotty was either the QB-coach or the Offensive Coordinator

Red = Stats after Schotty

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1999: (USC) Carson Palmer, 490 yards (73.6%) 3 TDs; 3 INT

2000: (USC) Carson Palmer, 2914 yards (54.9%) 16 TDs; 18 INT

2001: (USC) Carson Palmer, 2717 yards (58.6%) 13 TDs; 12 INT

2002: (USC) Carson Palmer, 3942 yards (63.2 %) 33 TDs; 10 INT

Carson Palmer is a terrific QB in the NFL, and it’s easy to see why. He has the size, the smarts, and the arm to get the job done. These stats don’t tell much of a story, but I find it interesting that Schotty-lead QBs tend to throw a balanced TD/INT ratio. As you can see, his first year was spot-play, maybe it was one or two games. But in his sophomore year, under Schotty, Palmer was called upon to be “the man”. He responded with decent yardage, a below average completion pct, and the standard Schotty TD/INT ratio. In 2001, it’s apparent that the team allowed Palmer to scale back his presence; he threw for fewer yards, had fewer passing TDs, but his comp pct rose. I believe this scaling back effort actually enabled him to become the QB he was in 2002 with his gaudy stat-line, which made him the first overall draft pick. The Trojans allowed him to develop within their offense so his skills could be honed… As a result, Carson Palmer has become a mature QB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000: (BAL) Tony Banks, 1578 yards (54.7%) 8 TDs; 8 INT

2001: (WAS) Tony Banks, 2386 yards (53.5%) 10 TDs; 10 INT

2002: (HOU) Tony Banks, backup to David Carr; accumulated no stats.

2003: (HOU) Tony Banks, 693 yards (59.8%) 5 TDs; 3 INT

Tony Banks was never a good QB in the NFL, he was just too wild with his passes. In fact, he was benched in favor of a game-managing Trent Dilfer in the Raven’s Super Bowl year. When Marty Schottenheimer took over as the Redskins HC in 2001, he did something no other coach has been able to do. He took his Redskin team from 0-5, to 5-5. That means he got a winless team to win 5-straight after losing 5 straight. That is pure coaching magic. Something that Brian the QB “guru” was unable to work with Banks. Tony Banks, notorious for having a balanced TD/INT ratio and a ridiculously low comp pct. probably taught Brian a thing or two… However, It is curious that despite being an already horrible passer, Banks was able to decrease his already low comp percentage from the years sandwiching his time with Schotty. I’m not saying it is conclusive because he had far worse years… but it is curious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001: (SD) Drew Brees, 221 yards (55.6%) 1 TD; 0 INT

2002: (SD) Drew Brees, 3284 yards (60.8%) 17 TDs; 16 INT

2003: (SD) Drew Brees, 2108 yards (57.6%) 11 TDs; 15 INT [only played 11 games]

2004: (SD) Drew Brees, 3159 yards (65.5 %) 27 TDs; 7 INT

2005: (SD) Drew Brees , 3576 yards (64.6%) 24 TDs; 15 INT

2006: (NO) Drew Brees, 4418 yards (64.3%) 26 TDs; 11 INT

2007: (NO) Drew Brees, 4423 yards (67.5%) 28 TDs; 18 INT

Drew Brees is a Beast. Period. The only time Brees isn’t playing at a beastly level is when his own beastly actions (like reaching into a pile to retrieve a fumble) gets his shoulder ripped out. He is so Beastly, that even Brian Schottenheimer couldn’t ruin his career… he could merely stunt it. Brian followed his pop to San Diego in 2002 to continue his QB-coaching legacy beside Offensive Coordinator, Cam Cameron. The year before, in 2001, the Chargers traded their first overall pick to the Falcons for the 5th overall, Tim Dwight, a 3rd round pick and and 2002 2nd rounder. This turned into trading Michael Vick

Topic: So I'm the d*ck that's been.....

bothered by all these expensive free agaency aquisitions. Raining on the parade. Stick in the mud. I believe solid teams like the Pats and Steelers are built for the long haul by retaining solid players and not overpaying FA's. When I think of our lack of continuity in the coaching staff and player personnel, it's no wonder our seasons have been so erratic. Just think of how many Jets are playing well for other teams right now, as we pay through the nose for free agents, who should really be plugging holes instead of making up the bulk of the squad. Kareem McKenzie was a Jet, James Farrior, Derrick Ward (undrafted and dumped for free) Johnathan Vilma, John Abraham, Chad Pennington (no compensation, bad outcome), Pete Kendall...I could go on. Certainly not all players could have been kept--but a core should remain intact. An Identity. Now Baker's gone without replacement, Coles is gone without replacement, I dunno. I seriously hope this new CS is dedicated to drafting and developing young players. Otherwise we're just the Redskins II.

The Nomination: "It's gospel. To disagree with this is to prove that you should be watching soccer." T0mShane

Editor's Note: Easier to stay good when you're good than it is to become good when you suck, and draft horribly for 4 years straight.

Topic: Hey Sperm, when Will You Make a Dunce Cap for Rex?

Agreed. As Jets fans, we've long established the policy of a 12 game grace period for all head coaches. After that, anything short of a super bowl win is an immediate fail and requires immediate replacement.

The Nomination: "funny as hades" JETSorDIE

Editor's Note: Bring me the head of the Pig!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic: Would You Be For Starting Clemens This Week?

This team is far from a 8-2 team, just gave scenerios and you all go ape

sh1t.

Sick of all the Sanchez bashing, for his sake maybe another team

is the right fit.

Cause it is true, now go back to your mafia, they are about to execute

someone, have to answer doorbell now

Be a fan for 40+ years and get back to me.

The Nomination: "This just made me laugh in all sorts of ways." JiF

Editor's Note: Because it's not really funny, nor does it actually make any sense?

Topic: Would You Be For Starting Clemens This Week?

This team is far from a 8-2 team, just gave scenerios and you all go ape

sh1t.

Sick of all the Sanchez bashing, for his sake maybe another team

is the right fit.

Cause it is true, now go back to your mafia, they are about to execute

someone, have to answer doorbell now

Be a fan for 40+ years and get back to me.

The Nomination: "This just made me laugh in all sorts of ways." JiF

Editor's Note: Because it's not really funny, nor does it actually make any sense?

Topic: Do you really want to know why the Jets have no depth?

I think it's a good point. They don't have depth because they weren't very good. First you need good players before you can have depth. Guys that should be quality backups (Eric Smith) were starting and it's much easier for a backup to come in and look good when the players around him are better (think Sheppard, Strickland). Constantly changing coaches doesn't help because every time you swap you lose good players that fit the other system and have to sign pet guys for the new coach.

..but they do "contend". They just don't win. Despite the rookie QB and rookie head coach and key injuries they haven't been outclassed too often. The contend, they just don't win. I don't put that on the GM.

There is some truth to the patch fixing, but what do you want? The whole board cries for patch fixing. Personally I'd prefer to sink or swim with what we have. I think they got all caught up in contending this year. Still, the talent level on the team is not bad.

There may be some truth to the 4 year cycle, but the 4 year UFA thing is out the window. I think it's currently 6 years. The CBA is up in the air and under these circumstances I think I prefer to have a bean counter running the show.

The Nomination: "Good all around Football post." JiF

Editor's Note: Agreed. Put me in the camp of 'this team is a contender with a QB who doesn't turn the ball over twice a game'.

Topic: Do you really want to know why the Jets have no depth?

I think it's a good point. They don't have depth because they weren't very good. First you need good players before you can have depth. Guys that should be quality backups (Eric Smith) were starting and it's much easier for a backup to come in and look good when the players around him are better (think Sheppard, Strickland). Constantly changing coaches doesn't help because every time you swap you lose good players that fit the other system and have to sign pet guys for the new coach.

..but they do "contend". They just don't win. Despite the rookie QB and rookie head coach and key injuries they haven't been outclassed too often. The contend, they just don't win. I don't put that on the GM.

There is some truth to the patch fixing, but what do you want? The whole board cries for patch fixing. Personally I'd prefer to sink or swim with what we have. I think they got all caught up in contending this year. Still, the talent level on the team is not bad.

There may be some truth to the 4 year cycle, but the 4 year UFA thing is out the window. I think it's currently 6 years. The CBA is up in the air and under these circumstances I think I prefer to have a bean counter running the show.

The Nomination: "Good all around Football post." JiF

Editor's Note: Agreed. Put me in the camp of 'this team is a contender with a QB who doesn't turn the ball over twice a game'.

Topic: Yay! We're going to the Super Bowl!

We beat the mighty Panthers! NOTHING can stand in our way! C'mon, Kool-Aiders! Who's with me?

The Nomination: "If this doesn't win, I'm firebombing the servers." G.O.B.

Editor's Note: If it wasn't for Keller's fumble, and the one INT, we'd have dominated. Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get your AbilifyTM ready Jets fans, we just got a win, and still have a wildcard shot. As Rex Ryan says, 'THE JETS ARE COMING'.

I for one, cannot wait until we get our rematch of the Saints in the Super Bowl.

Congrats to Bob for nailing the sentiment! Wear your banner with pride:

potw.jpg

Buffalo on Thursday... GO JETS!!!!!

Archived