Pre End Of Season I'm Bored With Football Jets Draft

New York Mick

WR and CB are two mysteries at this point. We can sign Edwards, which I think we will for not too much since he needs a fresh start and gives us a viable deep threat. At corner we have Shepard who we will most certainly cut but I predict we may then resign him.

That being said many of you seem to want to draft a corner or safety. Our pass defense is outstanding, and would only be better served by some D line depth. Unless a sure thing DE-DT falls to us I would just as soon wait to draft this in the second round or later. I can't see us keeping TJ and Leon. This is going to sound crazy but I think we should sign Leon and teach him to play slot receiver (our version of Wes Welker) He has a burst of speed and has shown he can catch, with some mentoring we may be able to use him in the return game, as a slot receiver and for one to five snaps a running back or seminole. I suggest we trade TJ for a third round selection, which is after all our lucky round, and draft CJ Spiller.

If we follow my blueprint, we will maintain our dominant run game, shore up the D and O lines with some newfound depth, and give Sanchez a big play option out of the slot. Everything will pretty much be the same so we can watch Sanchez develop, this defense further gel under Ryan's new system, and watch our team improve.

Don't get me wrong, Leon is a great back, but he will never be a number one and he wants too much money to be a number two. Besides, what are we going to do with stud back Greene then? He can be a great change of pace third back, a seminole threat, and our third receiver operating out of the slot and full of big play potential. What linebacker or number three corner could possibly hope to keep of with Washington? Our offense needs another dimension, and of course a better O coordinator.

So a year after using 3 draft picks on Greene, you want to trade Jones and switch Leon to WR so we can draft another in round 1? And this is based on finding a trading partner who wants to part with a 3rd round pick for a RB who turns 32 next year?

Most likely scenario:

- we keep Jones because he's coming off another good year and is a locker-room leader.

- we re-sign Leon either to a RFA contract or small dollars given his age and coming off an injury.

- our 3 RB's in 2010 are the same 3 we started with in 2009.

Draft a slot WR to play slot WR. You don't take a deadly 3rd-down back and make him learn a new position he might suck at. You try that stuff with a Danny Woodhead who had little value as a pure RB.

Regarding Sheppard, I think they'll try to redo his contract before he hits free agency and make it official immediately after the pick to Philly is negated. He's not getting the contract he truly wants because he's too injury-prone, and the Jets can see the difference with him in there and lesser CB's. Also we don't need another gaping hole entering the draft. But if Sheppard won't take less money, then we may see him on another team next year. Should that happen expect the Jets to go after a starter-worthy FA's rather than bank on drafting one with their first pick. It would leave too much to chance and they saw how much worse the defense was when the secondary was thin due to injury.

Agree that they'll go with a DE/DT type if the value is there in round 1 but not reach badly for someone. If we pick around #15 and the DE/DT we want is expected to go off around #30 (give or take a half-dozen picks) we could very well see a trade-down at least a few spots to recoup a 3rd rounder or more.

Unless someone remarkable is there who is impossible to pass up, I think trading down a little in the first round is the move to draft a player where need and value coincide nicely plus adding another pick or so.

The team's starters are mostly set so we're finally in a position where we can accumulate more picks for depth.

Locker would have gone over Clausen just based on pure physicality...

However, if he remains unscathed throughout the next season, coaches are going to see this kid isn't all about dollar signs...

That would move him up a teams board higher than a good combine ever could...

They already know he has the intangibles...

But he has a head on his shoulders as well...

I really hope this kid makes it through next year healthy...

Oh, you wacky faux-GM's...

From PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/locker-didnt-get-a-first-round-grade-from-advisory-committee/

Locker didn't get a first-round grade from the NFL's Advisory Commitee

For those of you who admire the dedication and/or question the sanity of Washington quarterback Jake Locker for deciding not to enter the NFL draft in what could be the last year of the big-money windfalls at the top of the pecking order, the decision to stay in school isn't as honorable and/or stupid as previously believed.

As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league."

And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who 'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the top of his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks who scout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the players whom they believe to be good players become good players.

• 3 weeks later...

This is no longer a team filled with more holes than we can plug. We will likely do some sort of cut and resign with Shepard who has been great. I hope we keep Leon, and I think we will. It's true that we need depth at WR, OL and DL, and with Braylon's return in question we may look to pick up a guy like Boldin or Marshall and I hope we do.

But here's the thing most of you aren't getting, we aren't the same team that has gaping holes and is just a player or two away from competing. The biggest difference-maker for the Jets in 2010 will be Sanchez' development; period. We pick late and I hope to God we don't trade up again. We should draft BPA at this point. Of course in doing so we make the pick for line depth and take a really good look at Tate in the first but if there's better available let's take it. Our defense is only getting better, and with Pace and Jenkins healthy next year all year we will be a force. The secondary plays well, our running game is superior without even having a threatening passing attack. Brad Smith is a keeper, Braylon I would only keep at cheap and trade the first pick for a Boldin or Marshall. We used to draft where we had glaring holes but now we are finding no such holes, players are starting to step up in the absence of guys like Jenkins and Leon.

Archived