Does PR guide the FO decision-making?

JerryK

First, forgive me if this is an old, oft-discussed topic.

I've been reading poster's comments and getting a vibe that when the FO picks coaches etc, their decision weighs heavily on the NYC media attention the person will get. (and NOT that person's qualifications). Someone stated earlier that one of the FO's priorities is to keep the Jets in the headlines more than the Giants. Is this true or am I wrong?

*Does this mean Mangini was only picked because the Belichick controversy would sell newspapers?

*Does this mean Schotty's "famous dad" trumped more qualified OC applicants?

*Favre - well, that sold a few papers. Was a better long-term candidate available?

Do I need to be nervous about this, or am I imagining things?

*Does this mean Mangini was only picked because the Belichick controversy would sell newspapers? - No one could have guessed it would have took the ugly turn it did

*Favre - well, that sold a few papers. Was a better long-term candidate available? - What does selling papers have to do with it.

I think Tanny felt that the Jets were a win now team last year and Favre gave him a better chance than Pennington. And ticket/merchandising sales was the icing on the cake.

Jets have been in the news more this year then in years past because the team is A LOT more vocal. Everyone from Rex on down.

Favre obviously still is a good QB. It just so happens that the OC is a retard, and really needs to be replaced, what more proof do you need?

I just finished watching the show on SNY from last night and both Lucas and Schein agree that Schottenheimer doesn't fit Ryan's vision of what this team needs to be going forward. That's good news Jets fans b/c BS hasn't had many good games called in the past year-since last December...

Favre obviously still is a good QB. It just so happens that the OC is a retard, and really needs to be replaced, what more proof do you need?

The only good PR is WINNING. Everything else is short lived and eventually pisses fans off. WINNING cures everything and yes, a retarded OC is bad.

First, forgive me if this is an old, oft-discussed topic.

I've been reading poster's comments and getting a vibe that when the FO picks coaches etc, their decision weighs heavily on the NYC media attention the person will get. (and NOT that person's qualifications). Someone stated earlier that one of the FO's priorities is to keep the Jets in the headlines more than the Giants. Is this true or am I wrong?

*Does this mean Mangini was only picked because the Belichick controversy would sell newspapers?

*Favre - well, that sold a few papers. Was a better long-term candidate available?

Do I need to be nervous about this, or am I imagining things?

PR doesn't. The thoughts of selling PSLs does. Minor distinction but you can get good PR and not sell tickets. Like winning 10 games this season with Jeff Garcia as QB would have the fans saying good things. But not moving much when it came to writing checks.

Playing the Sanchize and winning 10 games, has a better chance of "moving" people.

Archived