Rhodes Wants Out???

JetsFan220

If he's a team guy and plays that well the last five games, the Jets will pay him. It's up to him. Hard to tell right now if he really wants out, or if he's taking a macho stance in the face of his benching. Doesn't matter to me. Kerry playing better is better for him and the team whether they're still together next March or not.

He seriously has manure for brains saying that.

Guess what, Kerry? Other teams (as well as Ryan and Tannenbaum) can also read and they aren't all as dumb as you are. Because now they've got good reason to think you're only trying because you think it's a 5-game audition to get a payday from a new team (or get the bonus from the Jets that your current deal calls for), and after that it'll be back to the way you were before.

I may make a separate thread about this, but what is Rhodes' trade value?

I'd feel like given his athletic ability, we should be able to get something in the 3rd round range...maybe even a conditional 2nd, though his contract is a bit high for that. Maybe I'm overrating him though.

Thoughts?

When I first read this I was thinking along the lines as all of you guys, but after thinking about it he may mean he does not want teams to see he is playing like crap on purpose, or as he put it 'in the tank' because if they do they will exploit him on the field

When I first read this I was thinking along the lines as all of you guys, but after thinking about it he may mean he does not want teams to see he is playing like crap on purpose, or as he put it 'in the tank' because if they do they will exploit him on the field

That's a good point.

In re-reading it, I can see both interpretations.

At first I thought he was saying he was auditioning for next year, but it also looks like he's saying that if he dogs it, the opponent will game plan for that and exploit him on the field.

Doesn't seem like he wants out.

Not sure.

Here's a quote from one of the articles SFJ posted. i thought it was an odd comment

"BRIEFS: Ryan had promised that Rhodes will be in a lot of nickel packages and Rhodes said, "yes, I will be in a lot more stuff this week. I just have to do one more thing with [Ryan] and I

Of course he wants out. He doesn't feel that he's a backup and to be honest you'll find that not many NFL teams do either.

He'll get us some good value when the time comes IMHO.

Hes no backup but his quality of play for the first 10 games of the season was backup quality play.

Taylor Mays will make us forget Kerry Rhodes.

Taylor Mays will make us forget Kerry Rhodes.

Great athlete, who doesn't make big plays... taylor mays IS Kerry rhodes

by the way 2.7M roster bonus sounds like alot but against a 110Mil+ cap it isn't. If you want to get cheaper players you are entering into Abram Elam territory.

I'm not sure whether to read into it much either. On the one hand, he could just be saying he's playing hard and taking it in stride. On the other, maybe that means he sandbagged it before then, and that's what he'll do again if he thinks he can get away with it.

People say NY is important for his media career, but I don't buy that because Peyton seems to have the most acting gigs of anyone in the NFL and he's in Indianapolis. If he wants though, San Diego is a great place for that since LA is only a few hours away.

Great athlete, who doesn't make big plays... taylor mays IS Kerry rhodes

by the way 2.7M roster bonus sounds like alot but against a 110Mil+ cap it isn't. If you want to get cheaper players you are entering into Abram Elam territory.

Taylor Mays is NOT Kerry Rhodes.

I may make a separate thread about this, but what is Rhodes' trade value?

I'd feel like given his athletic ability, we should be able to get something in the 3rd round range...maybe even a conditional 2nd, though his contract is a bit high for that. Maybe I'm overrating him though.

Thoughts?

I actually think he has relatively high trade value. I think if you wanted a 2010 draft choice he gets you a 3rd with the potential for a conditional 2 in 2011 where we give the trading team back their 3rd if he reaches the PTI.

I think if you are willing to wait out the compensation entirely you could probably get a 2/conditional 1 in 2011 provided you trade him before the 2010 draft takes place. If Lito Sheppard, who is older and clearly well on the downside, could get a team a 2 if he played alot there is no reason a guy lie Rhodes cant fetch more than that. His salary is not awful since we already paid him so much money. A team that trades for him would owe about:

2009- 5 million

2010- 3 million

2011- 4.5 million

2012- 6 million

So its essentially 18 million over 4 years with zero penalty if you have to cut him.

That

I actually think he has relatively high trade value. I think if you wanted a 2010 draft choice he gets you a 3rd with the potential for a conditional 2 in 2011 where we give the trading team back their 3rd if he reaches the PTI.

I think if you are willing to wait out the compensation entirely you could probably get a 2/conditional 1 in 2011 provided you trade him before the 2010 draft takes place. If Lito Sheppard, who is older and clearly well on the downside, could get a team a 2 if he played alot there is no reason a guy lie Rhodes cant fetch more than that. His salary is not awful since we already paid him so much money. A team that trades for him would owe about:

2009- 5 million

2010- 3 million

2011- 4.5 million

2012- 6 million

So its essentially 18 million over 4 years with zero penalty if you have to cut him.

That

+1. Good post.

Conditionally we could get damn near anything for Rhodes. Then we'll be in the same position that we're in now: praying that Rhodes plays well. Sheppard was also dogging it for his contract and had been demoted 2 or 3 spots so that he wasn't even on the field.

3-4 DE's aren't really pass-rushers.

If that is the case then our system isn't working because Shaun Ellis is tied for the team lead in sacks (4.5)

I think it is important to have a good pass rushing DE regardless of the scheme (In the end a good DE will be able to play good run the D and rush the passer)

If that is the case then our system isn't working because Shaun Ellis is tied for the team lead in sacks (4.5)

I think it is important to have a good pass rushing DE regardless of the scheme (In the end a good DE will be able to play good run the D and rush the passer)

You and EY are correct.

The Jets don't use "pass rushing" DE. The Rex Ryan Jets 3-4 DEs are pocket collapsers while the Mangini Jets 3-4 DEs are blocker occupiers. Under both systems, the real pass rush is from the OLBs.

The Jets need a dynamic 3-4 DE that while not a pure pass rusher, will be able to collapse the pocket which puts pressure on the QB.

You and EY are correct.

The Jets don't use "pass rushing" 3-4 DE. The Rex Ryan Jets 3-4 DEs are pocket collapsers while the Mangini Jets 3-4 DEs are blocker occupiers. Under both systems, the real pass rush is from the OLBs.

The Jets need a dynamic 3-4 DE that while not a pure pass rusher, will be able to collapse the pocket which puts pressure on the QB.

works for me...whatever wins games! :)

As far as sacking the QB... Our system is absolutely not working...

This 'pressure defense' while getting in the QBs face a fair amount, has us tied with 3 other teams for 22nd in the league in sacks.

As far as sacking the QB... Our system is absolutely not working...

This 'pressure defense' while getting in the QBs face a fair amount, has us tied with 3 other teams for 22nd in the league in sacks.

This is proven by the fact that the person Ellis is tied with for the team lead in sacks is David Harris, an ILB.

If the OLB's are supposed to be the ones getting sacks, where are they? But that is another topic for another thread....

This is proven by the fact that the person Ellis is tied with for the team lead in sacks is David Harris, an ILB.

If the OLB's are supposed to be the ones getting sacks, where are they? But that is another topic for another thread....

Pace has 5 sacks.

Archived