Another teacher/student sex scandal in N.J

visajets

17 is legal in NYS, I dont know what the age is in NJ. Most likely it's 17 too.

nah i dont mess with 17 year olds i just always hear that 17 is legal in NY I guess its not in Nj

To clarify I was just joking.

BUT

Its still Sexual assault, doesn't matter the age.

To clarify I was just joking.

BUT

Its still Sexual assault, doesn't matter the age.

Sexual assault only happens when 1 party doesnt consent. If a consenting 17 yr old decides to have sex with a 50 yr old, by law there's nothing you can do. T

Not when its with a Teacher.

SMH it doesnt matter.If a 17 yr old college student has sex with a professor its not sexual assault. Are you missing the part where STATE LAW says it's OK for a 17 yr old to engage in sexual activity? 50 yr old teacher, engineer, lawyer or Indian Chief, it doesnt matter. It would only matter if the person was 16. This is if it's in NY. Its sexual assault because the age in JErsey is 18.

The question becomes is it ethical for a teacher to have sex with a student? Not if it's illegal.

SMH it doesnt matter.If a 17 yr old college student has sex with a professor its not sexual assault. Are you missing the part where STATE LAW says it's OK for a 17 yr old to engage in sexual activity? 50 yr old teacher, engineer, lawyer or Indian Chief, it doesnt matter. It would only matter if the person was 16. This is if it's in NY. Its sexual assault because the age in JErsey is 18.

The question becomes is it ethical for a teacher to have sex with a student? Not if it's illegal.

I'm not missing any point. The teacher is in a position of trust. Plus the parents will press charges, not the student.

Even if it's legal it can still be unethical. Though law and ethics are closely related, they are not mutually exclusive. University professors may be involved with students who aren't in their classes, but it's generally still frowned upon. At the high school level it is absolutely unethical and unacceptable. At the college level, it can be unethical and cause for termination to become involved with any student under your tutelage regardless of whether it's in accordance with consent laws or not.

Even if it's legal it can still be unethical. Though law and ethics are closely related, they are not mutually exclusive. University professors may be involved with students who aren't in their classes, but it's generally still frowned upon. At the high school level it is absolutely unethical and unacceptable. At the college level, it can be unethical and cause for termination to become involved with any student under your tutelage regardless of whether it's in accordance with consent laws or not.

A lot of professors sleep with their students on campuses across the country. It is unethical but it isnt illegal unless some sort of non consensual sexual assault occurred or the student is under the legal age to consent. I do see your point though.

I'm not missing any point. The teacher is in a position of trust. Plus the parents will press charges, not the student.

Drs are in a positions of trust as well, do you think it stops them from getting it in with patients?

I'm not missing any point. The teacher is in a position of trust.

Correct. General ethical theories and most policies for teachers at all levels state that a teacher may not use a professional relationship for a private advantage. There isn't school out there from high school on down that doesn't interpret sexual relationships specifically in this manner. Sexual relationships with a student directly conflict with standards of professional conduct and this is generally the case at the college level as well.

It is very important to note that law has not interpreted the notion in this manner. Which is why law and ethical guidelines are not to be viewed as exclusive with each other.

A lot of professors sleep with their students on campuses across the country. It is unethical but it isnt illegal unless some sort of non consensual sexual assault occurred or the student is under the legal age to consent. I do see your point though.

Correct. However it also isn't illegal for that university to fire you if you're caught. Such is the case when you gamble.

Drs are in a positions of trust as well, do you think it stops them from getting it in with patients?

For the most part, absolutely. Ethical violations happen in every profession though, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

Doctors, professors...etc, we work for years upon years to get to the point where you're able to do what you've been working towards. If you don't think that an ethical violation with the potential to crash your career prevents you from doing something frowned upon, you're way off. I'd love to nail every undergrad that walks into the classrooms I sit in, but I'd never be so stupid as to act upon it and most feel the same way.

For the most part, absolutely. Ethical violations happen in every profession though, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

Doctors, professors...etc, we work for years upon years to get to the point where you're able to do what you've been working towards. If you don't think that an ethical violation with the potential to crash your career prevents you from doing something frowned upon, you're way off. I'd love to nail every undergrad that walks into the classrooms I sit in, but I'd never be so stupid as to act upon it and most feel the same way.

My initial point is "positions of trust" mean nothing. People are gonna do what they are gonna do, whether it be unethical or illegal.

My initial point is "positions of trust" mean nothing. People are gonna do what they are gonna do, whether it be unethical or illegal.

What you're getting into is moral, not ethical or legal. Violations do happen in every profession, but the small percentage of professionals that commit them are far outweighed by those who don't due to the policies that say they can't. (And of course there's those that are guided by personal morals as well). However, it's unreasonable to think that immoral acts wouldn't increase without the possibility of consequences. I can say from personal experience that university work puts you directly in front of a gold mine and the only thing that prevents myself or my colleagues from taking advantage of it is the fact that we'd lose our jobs and jeopardize our careers.

this is true...if you're a person with morals you're gonna act appropriately...for the most part anyway. sometime temptation gets the better of even the best of us. and money is probably the only temptation more common than lust.

this is true...if you're a person with morals you're gonna act appropriately...for the most part anyway. sometime temptation gets the better of even the best of us. and money is probably the only temptation more common than lust.

Whatever. Id work at a baby seal clubbing factory if they paid me in Beer, Chicken wings and Alka Seltzer.

I though 17 was legal?

In NJ it is... Unless you are in a position of authority. As a coach or teacher if you boink a student/player under 18, it's not legal. For everyone else, 16 is the age of consent in New Jersey.

So yeah, if the kid hadn't been one of her swim team girls (or whatever), then she'd be fine most likely.

Archived