We all owe Hackett a apology.

RSJ

• 2 years later...
That would be a decent argument if Paul Hackett was a head coach and not a ****ing quarterbacks coach with Tampa Bay.

Gruden serves as the OC - but in reality Hackett does most of the OC work. Fact is it is pretty much the same role he had with the Jets. Why do you think there are so many ex-Jets on that offense?

Gruden serves as the OC - but in reality Hackett does most of the OC work. Fact is it is pretty much the same role he had with the Jets. Why do you think there are so many ex-Jets on that offense?

He doesn't even call the plays. You can't compare records when you're talking about a head coach vs. a quarterbacks coach.

He doesn't even call the plays. You can't compare records when you're talking about a head coach vs. a quarterbacks coach.

He is a heavy influence on the gameplans per Gruden and was blamed here for everything that was wrong with the Jets at the time he was fired.

Honestly, if Hackett got run out of town for actually winning with the Jets O and getting us three playoff appearances, Schotty should be getting the moving boxes ready. You don't get to 90-54 as an NFL OC by being a worthless piece of trash, and if anything, all of Herm's offenses become plodding messes. Wasn't the hiring of Heimerdinger supposed to open up the Jet O? Even before that Jags loss that year, his O was leaving much to be desired, and it looked worse than what Hackett gave us. And considering his first three years with the Jets he was working with Herm (who seems like he spreads a conservative disease to his OCs) and Ted Cottrel (who was not a good fit here, but I'm happy to see him having success in SD), maybe Hackett had a lot more to do with any success we got from 2001-2003 than we really thought. Notice how when we got a competent DC in 2004 (still don't know why Henderson was never retained) and a QB tailor made for his system playing at his best (before the first shoulder injury in Buf), we had a pretty good 2004 campaign. I know it's all hindsight, but when you look at the history of offenses under Herm, I think the overall crucifixion of Hackett was unjustified.

Honestly, if Hackett got run out of town for actually winning with the Jets O and getting us three playoff appearances, Schotty should be getting the moving boxes ready. You don't get to 90-54 as an NFL OC by being a worthless piece of trash, and if anything, all of Herm's offenses become plodding messes. Wasn't the hiring of Heimerdinger supposed to open up the Jet O? Even before that Jags loss that year, his O was leaving much to be desired, and it looked worse than what Hackett gave us. And considering his first three years with the Jets he was working with Herm (who seems like he spreads a conservative disease to his OCs) and Ted Cottrel (who was not a good fit here, but I'm happy to see him having success in SD), maybe Hackett had a lot more to do with any success we got from 2001-2003 than we really thought. Notice how when we got a competent DC in 2004 (still don't know why Henderson was never retained) and a QB tailor made for his system playing at his best (before the first shoulder injury in Buf), we had a pretty good 2004 campaign. I know it's all hindsight, but when you look at the history of offenses under Herm, I think the overall crucifixion of Hackett was unjustified.

So we were wrong because he sucked less?

• 15 years later...
1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Paul Hackett was not a bad OC, he was a conservative OC. I remember sometimes his play calling would drive the fans nuts. I never thought he was bad as he had a philosophy and he stuck with it. 

IIRC, he was known for the 3rd and 8 draw play that usually picked up 4 yards.