PER ESPN Source: Sanchez has sprained PCL

JETSorDIE

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

Jets Back To .500

Initial tests revealed Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez has a sprained posterior cruciate ligament, and if he can handle the pain, he would be able to play Dec. 13 at Tampa, a source close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter Friday morning.

Sanchez sprained his right knee Thursday night in the Jets' 19-13 win against the Buffalo Bills in Toronto, when he dived headfirst on an 8-yard scamper up the middle.

That was enough to pick up a first down on the Jets' second possession of the third quarter. And it happened in the same week in which the Jets brought in Yankees manager Joe Girardi to provide the first-round draft pick sliding lessons after Sanchez hurt his left knee in a 17-6 win against Carolina on Sunday.

Jets coach Rex Ryan was visibly upset following the game, after having to watch Sanchez hobble off with a knee injury for the second time in five days.

"Sometimes, the kid's got to understand we're trying to teach him to slide," Ryan said. "I love the kid, but he's got to grow up and understand he represents our entire organization. We want what's best for him."

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4712888

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sit him against Tampa. No need at all to do anything stupid against a team that we should be able to beat with Brad Smith at QB!

Tampa is playing a lot better and we are not in a position that we can afford any margin for error. If he can play, he should (he'll have extra time to rest).

Sit him against Tampa. No need at all to do anything stupid against a team that we should be able to beat with Brad Smith at QB!

I strongly disagree.

This is the NFL. If Sanchez is cleared by the Doctors to play, he needs to learn to play with pain.

Seriously. QBs are not supposed to be pussies. He needs to man-up and play.

Incidently, Philip Rivers is now beloved by his Chargers teammates. Originally a lot of players were pissed that the team went with Rivers over Brees (in not bringing Brees back). Players thought Rivers was a loud mouth punk. Rivers gets hurt and plays through pain for nearly the entire season and the players loved him for it. He's the unquestioned leader.

Again, if he gets the Doctor's clearance, Sanchez NEEDS to play against Tampa.

PCL sprains arent terrible injuries, you can play on them as long as there isnt too much pain. Luckily for Sanchez, he has 10 days to recover.

And I dont know why you would assume victory by this team over anyone.

I strongly disagree.

This is the NFL. If Sanchez is cleared by the Doctors to play, he needs to learn to play with pain.

Incidently, Philip Rivers is now beloved by his Chargers teammates. Originally a lot of players were pissed that the team went with Rivers over Brees (in not bringing Brees back). Players thought Rivers was a loud mouth punk. Rivers gets hurt and plays through pain for nearly the entire season and the players loved him for it. He's the unquestioned leader.

agree...pussies need not apply

you're way too confident. there aren't many easy wins in the nfl. and we are certianly not the team that shoudl be going around taking any other team as a gimme win.

Tampa is playing a lot better than their record. They should have beaten Atlanta this past week and their defense is playing very solid right now. Tampa is better than Buffalo, in my opinion.

I strongly disagree.

Great post SMC, and you know what? You're friggin' right. Namath played with a jaw broken by a Ben Davidson forearm.

Great post SMC, and you know what? You're friggin' right. Namath played with a jaw broken by a Ben Davidson forearm.

True. Namath's ability to play through pain was one of his assets.

I'm a huge Sanchez supporter and if he fails to gut-it-out playing in Tampa (assuming he's cleared), I'll be waaaaayyyy more concerned about that than his turnovers or inconsistent accuracy.

Cutting down turnovers and and improved accuracy can be learned. Pain tolerance can't.

Are you joking? This is the team that lost to Buffalo once and Miami twice, and has struggled or had close wins against other weak teams. No game is an easy win for this bunch...and I don't want to see Clemens start a game if I can help it.

Are you joking? This is the team that lost to Buffalo once and Miami twice, and has struggled or had close wins against other weak teams. No game is an easy win for this bunch...and I don't want to see Clemens start a game if I can help it.

100% agree. We barely beat Buffalo this week.. the offense didn't do ANYTHING with Clemens in. If he plays they'll stack 9 in the box all game.

Buffalo was still a game until the Revis interception... and Buff stinks.

I strongly disagree.

Couldn't agree more and I don't know if anyone saw that inside the NFL when the Lions beat the Browns. Stafford got hurt, he's agonizing over his shoulder on the ground but when Man-genius(LULZ) called the time out he's running over to his coaches saying "I can throw the ball if you need me to, I can throw the ball." If the PCL is something he CAN play through then he should. I guarantee you if you go out there and make some throws that's gonna fire up everyone else, the O-line to get a bigger push to run the ball better to protect him, etc.

Good, if this is true.

If it is just a strained PCL, he should be in the lineup 10 days from now and any one who thinks he should sit against Tampa is an idiot and must not want to see this team head into the final three games at 7-6.

Have those people seen Kellen Clemens the past two weeks? :eek:

I know we're the Same Ol' Jets and all, but we need to sit him against Tampa Bay. Are you guys kidding me? They have absolutely no offensive threats whatsoever. Be smart, and sit him out this game.

Thank God he's fine.

and play whom?

Kellen 'Dropsy' Clemens

I would rather have Richard Todd

Archived