New Here...

Mike Dee

Ha, I got a temp marketing thing going right now even if it leads to full time theres no way to go up. This would be it until I look for a new job.

I'm making the equivalent of 20k a year on an hourly basis. No benifits. 310$ a week after taxes.

I was making more money working after school in 10th grade...

2 more weeks till I'm no longer covered under my fathers health care.

Awesome.

:cheers:

EY is right though, not having a degree is tempting out of HS, but the degree is better in the long run. In my case I just regret what I got into and now that I got a kid, feel more or less obligated to stay somewhere that gives me a steady pay.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey everyone,

Thor WON'T be on the field for the Jets - Bucs game. He thinks he will but somehow his name just was removed from the list. Weird.

Weird, I just called Melissa in the Bucs ticket office. She had no idea what I was talking about.

8500+ posts wasted somewhere else.

Will I get banned here also for making fun of a troll who spams the board and posts pictures of himself with his gay Dolphin jersey his grandmother bought him by a power hungry psychopath mod from Staten Island?

I would think not Mike. Welcome to JET NATION !!!

This is all true, but is it right?

Sure it makes sense for companies, but whats the use for those trying to find jobs? I just spent 4 years getting an education of "higher learning" for what? To come out and work for free to hopefully get my foot in the door?

If anything, college was a waste of time/money that made me lazy. I should have done a trade/vocational program like Boces in high school and joined a union. I'd be much better off now.

It is a marathon, not a sprint.

Hang in there. Times are tough right now, no doubt. Having a degree will help you in the long run. Get your Masters if you have time now.

BTW, just read some of the board over there. Best decision ever? Banning DWC and Tx.

I like Tx...

You just have to understand, he's a disgruntled Jet fan like the rest of us ;)

DWC on the other hand...

I would love nothing more than to bloody up Gammys Dolphag jersey...

It is a marathon, not a sprint.

Hang in there. Times are tough right now, no doubt. Having a degree will help you in the long run. Get your Masters if you have time now.

Anyone I've talked to told me it would be waste of time to get a Masters in marketing, experience is more valuable. That and there's not chance I'm dumping more money into 'education'.

Anyone I've talked to told me it would be waste of time to get a Masters in marketing, experience is more valuable. That and there's not chance I'm dumping more money into 'education'.

I wouldn't spend a penny on a Masters in Marketing. Getting your MBA would be helpful down the road.

i get what you are saying, but its kinda different from what i am talking about. I got my first job in finance much the same way you are describing here. I was 2o, just coming off my year long cancer battle and without my college degree. I got my foot in the door with a real deal wall street firm by doing temp sh#t work for next to nothing. I busted my hump and got a full time job there for even less pay than the crap hourly temp wages. Within less than 2 years i was a 22 year old sitting on a trading desk as a junior equity trader for a firm that had a few billion in assets under management. From what i was told by sales traders we did business with i was a good 5-8 years younger than anyone else doing what i was doing in any other legit shops. So i totally get someone willing to work for peanuts to get their foot in the door and a crack at a real opportunity. Heck, at 33 i would definitely do the same to work at a real company in an industry i had an interest in with a real future, and this is the case even though i am making an ok living as my own boss. BTW if they are looking for sharp, quick learners over by you let me know ;)

What i was really talking about is the typical small business owner or some crackpot on craigslist who thinks he has an idea for the next amazon or myspace, who wants a site that has everything, wants someone with a long list of impeccable references and past work, but doesn't really want to pay even 20% of what it should cost but thinks by letting me use the job "on my portfolio" that it should be considered compensation enough. They are easy to spot, they are the geniuses who advertise looking for "web design students" thinking that is the way to cheap labor. We are not talking about gigs for companies you may have a future with here or trying to get a foot in the door.

Can't speak for the creative space but the technical one is pretty lucrative and easy to explain to people that they get what they pay for. On the flip side, I also never oversell, if someone explains what they want and I determine a canned solutuion/template would meet their needs just fine, I usually give them some links and some brief instructions and tell them to call me if they find themselves in the position of needing to extend core functions..

This is all true, but is it right?

Sure it makes sense for companies, but whats the use for those trying to find jobs? I just spent 4 years getting an education of "higher learning" for what? To come out and work for free to hopefully get my foot in the door?

If anything, college was a waste of time/money that made me lazy. I should have done a trade/vocational program like Boces in high school and joined a union. I'd be much better off now.

College will be helpful in 10 years when job hunting for a creative director position and you have experience + college

Archived