'Avatar' early reviews through the roof

SouthernJet

• 2 weeks later...
WTF, how is this movie selling so many ****ing tickets? I wanted to shoot myself after 30 minutes and the ****ing thing is almost 3 hours long.

Who wrote this crap Green Peace, Al Gore and some hippie chick?

Yeah pretty much. This movie is absolutely awful. I didn't see Transformers but lots of people loved that too and I know it sold very well. Also Hannah Montanah concerts always sell out and I think the tickets get scalped higher than NFL playoff games.

This movie again has proven that if you market to stupid people, no matter if you're in a recession or not, they will somehow come up with the money to watch your crappy film and then tell everyone how great the film is. Who was it that had that quote about the stupidity of people and how it's impossible to overestimate it?

Man I wish I could get a refund for my time and money. Most likely two weeks from now this movie will be totally forgotten...but that won't change anything, I've still wasted part of my life on that ****ty film.

this is a jump in 3d tech,,dvd ok, but i prefer to see it in 3d

Saw it in 3-D and really thought it added nothing.

I think South Park hit on the head:

It's Dances with Wolves but with Smurf people.

"Man goes to fight foreign culture, somehow ends up IN foreign culture, is assimilated, falls in love with native girl, fights against his OWN culture because he sees injustice, insert tragic death of native"

South Park rocks, and totally nailed the movie.

That said, it's another one where I had fun and my 14 year old is already looking forward to the sequel. Don't see all the Oscar talk, but it was a fun, blockbuster type flick. I guess if I was on the other side of the political spectrum, it'd piss me off, too, but I'm not. I tend to agree with the idea that it's not okay to invade a land and destroy a culture just to steal their natural resources. Silly, I know.

That said, it's another one where I had fun and my 14 year old is already looking forward to the sequel. Don't see all the Oscar talk, but it was a fun, blockbuster type flick. I guess if I was on the other side of the political spectrum, it'd piss me off, too, but I'm not. I tend to agree with the idea that it's not okay to invade a land and destroy a culture just to steal their natural resources. Silly, I know.

No, you're a liberal nut job. I've been meaning to catch it in 3-D but it's been sold out. Thought the buzz would die down by now.

That kind of the way America and the rest of the world became what it is.

go

see

this movie

right now

I am a confessed sci-fi geek, I was 10 when star wars came out, 13 for empire (saw the first showing on opening day and a total of 7 times in the theatres) and 16 for jedi.

I'm sure a lot of people won't like this movie, think it was too long, think it was boring whatever, and that's cool

I LOVED it

here is the best way to put it for me;

about half the movies I see, I'm happy if I don't wind up checking my watch every 20 minutes and having my mind wander to other things

about 1 out of 5 movies actually make you care enough about the characters so that the chase scenes have a little stress involved

about 1 in 10 movies is so engrossing you never notice your butt is getting numb

about 1 in 50 movies gives you chills

about 1 movie every 10 years gives you a legitimate emotional rush. ET was the last time for me

AVATAR goes this distance, the final score for me was 3 chills and 1 emotional rush

there were people sitting in the aisles, screaming and gasping, and applause at the end

love love loved this movie!!!!! just got home from it.

saw it in IMAX 3D..

this movie is not about the story ( it is good vs evil stuff) it isnt about the acting..

it is about the world cameron creates.

frankly i dont like cameron, i think he is a pompous a$$...

BUT i loved this movie.

yep i am a sci-fi geekess too :D

i am totally with you Larz ;)

People were applauding when I saw it too. I don't care much about special effects, it seems that people that liked this film rate that as the most important part of the movie. So that's how you know if you'll like this I guess, if special effects and visuals are the only thing you want in a movie and that is an enjoyable experience for you, then you need to go see this movie, definitely in 3D (I think it's only shown in 3D) and preferably in IMAX. If however, like me you don't fall into this camp, you are far better off skipping this movie as you will absolutely hate it, as it has nothing beyond the special effects.

saw it in IMAX 3D..

this movie is not about the story ( it is good vs evil stuff) it isnt about the acting..

BUT i loved this movie.

I totally agree, it's a love story and it's escapism and story telling at it's finest. I thought the central idea was more about getting caught up in a dual life or alternate reality, which is why they repeated the phrase "you always have to wake up" at least 3 times

the special effects and the military stuff were all secondary to me

saw it in IMAX 3D..

BUT i loved this movie.

The sci-fi geek in me loved this movie. Just got home from seeing it in 3D with the wife and we both loved it. 100% with Larz and GG on this one.

It's worth seeing in 3-D, if only for the sake of seeing how movies are going to be made. It's certainly the future. Simply incredible job from a filmmaking standpoint.

That being said, the script was flat out awful. The whole thing is a tacky condemnation of Iraq done via cheesy retelling of Dances With Wolves. You kind of have to go in with an immediate willing suspension of judgement in regards to any of the story or dialogue completely. If I had been watching this at home without 3-D, I would have certainly turned it off within the first hour.

It's worth seeing in 3-D, if only for the sake of seeing how movies are going to be made. It's certainly the future. Simply incredible job from a filmmaking standpoint.

That being said, the script was flat out awful. The whole thing is a tacky condemnation of Iraq done via cheesy retelling of Dances With Wolves. You kind of have to go in with an immediate willing suspension of judgement in regards to any of the story or dialogue completely. If I had been watching this at home without 3-D, I would have certainly turned it off within the first hour.

This!

I have zero interest in going to see Avatar....sci-fi cartoon crap 'aint my thing...although I did love Happy Feet. :)

Saw Up In The Air - great performances, really interesting storyline, good direction and DEPRESSING.

LOL, now Avatar isn't just a crappy liberal movie now it's a crappy racist liberal movie. I've been reading stuff like this for a few weeks now and it still hasn't stopped.

http://news.discovery.com/human/avatar-racism-james-cameron.html

I kind of thought one of the bigger points of the movie was showing how we should respect all living things and that kind of stuff.

Archived