Big Least Football be prepared to give up another team to a better conference

PFSIKH

Notre Dame makes rthe most sense, but they are too full of themselves and have some mis-placed idea they are relevant.

West Virgina would be a nice fit. I imagine JoePa would campaign for Pitt. Cuse? Doubtful as long as Boeheim is there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

Alvarez: Big Ten to push for 12th team

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says the Big Ten will soon make a more aggressive push toward adding a 12th member.

Speaking to Wisconsin's athletic board on Friday, Alvarez, the former longtime Badgers football coach, said the conference already has investigated possibilities for expansion "from all over the country." And though he places no timetable on the search, Alvarez thinks conference commissioner Jim Delany will respond to a group of athletic directors and coaches who want expansion.

"I have a sense he is going to take this year to really be more aggressive about it," Alvarez told the board. "I just think everybody feels [expansion] is the direction to go, coaches and administrators."

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has been the most vocal advocate of a 12th Big Ten team, and he has support from several of his fellow coaches.

A 12th team would allow the Big Ten to split into divisions and hold a conference championship game. The Big Ten typically ends its football season two weeks before the other BCS conferences, though the addition of a permanent bye week in 2010 will shrink the gap by a week.

"We're irrelevant for the last three weeks of the football season because we're not playing," Alvarez said Friday.

Paterno has stumped for expansion several times, but Delany -- who was unavailable for comment -- told ESPN.com this spring that the league has no immediate plans to add a 12th team.

"There's not an obvious move," Delany said in May. "There might be to some coaches, including Coach Paterno, but it's not as obvious to the university presidents and to the athletic directors.

"There are a lot [of schools] that could take a lot away, but there aren't a lot that could bring so much to make the choice an easy one. You have to have a lot to make something go like this, and it's broader than really a championship game or a basketball tournament."

The Big Ten most recently expanded with Penn State, which began competing as a league member in football in 1993. The league has made runs at Notre Dame but hasn't had serious discussions for several years.

Notre Dame makes rthe most sense, but they are too full of themselves and have some mis-placed idea they are relevant.

West Virgina would be a nice fit. I imagine JoePa would campaign for Pitt. Cuse? Doubtful as long as Boeheim is there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

Alvarez: Big Ten to push for 12th team

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says the Big Ten will soon make a more aggressive push toward adding a 12th member.

Speaking to Wisconsin's athletic board on Friday, Alvarez, the former longtime Badgers football coach, said the conference already has investigated possibilities for expansion "from all over the country." And though he places no timetable on the search, Alvarez thinks conference commissioner Jim Delany will respond to a group of athletic directors and coaches who want expansion.

"I have a sense he is going to take this year to really be more aggressive about it," Alvarez told the board. "I just think everybody feels [expansion] is the direction to go, coaches and administrators."

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has been the most vocal advocate of a 12th Big Ten team, and he has support from several of his fellow coaches.

A 12th team would allow the Big Ten to split into divisions and hold a conference championship game. The Big Ten typically ends its football season two weeks before the other BCS conferences, though the addition of a permanent bye week in 2010 will shrink the gap by a week.

"We're irrelevant for the last three weeks of the football season because we're not playing," Alvarez said Friday.

Paterno has stumped for expansion several times, but Delany -- who was unavailable for comment -- told ESPN.com this spring that the league has no immediate plans to add a 12th team.

"There's not an obvious move," Delany said in May. "There might be to some coaches, including Coach Paterno, but it's not as obvious to the university presidents and to the athletic directors.

"There are a lot [of schools] that could take a lot away, but there aren't a lot that could bring so much to make the choice an easy one. You have to have a lot to make something go like this, and it's broader than really a championship game or a basketball tournament."

The Big Ten most recently expanded with Penn State, which began competing as a league member in football in 1993. The league has made runs at Notre Dame but hasn't had serious discussions for several years.

Notre Dame is independent in football...Theyre only in the BE for bball, and quite honestly I seriously doubt they'd prefer B10 bball over BE. I think Cincinnati would make the most sense out of all the BE teams... Now a national powerhouse football school that would be pretty compettitive in the B10 in basketball. Syracuse in the B10? no way! The only reason Penn St is in the B10 instead of the BE is because JoePa was too scared to be in the same football conf as Syracuse. Plus, Syracuse is a basketball school, and the Big East is a basketball conference. The BE is just where they belong.

Notre Dame is independent in football...Theyre only in the BE for bball, and quite honestly I seriously doubt they'd prefer B10 bball over BE. I think Cincinnati would make the most sense out of all the BE teams... Now a national powerhouse football school that would be pretty compettitive in the B10 in basketball. Syracuse in the B10? no way! The only reason Penn St is in the B10 instead of the BE is because JoePa was too scared to be in the same football conf as Syracuse. Plus, Syracuse is a basketball school, and the Big East is a basketball conference. The BE is just where they belong.

That is the only reason why JoePa is not in the BE. Cuse was nothing when Penn State tried to get into the conference back in the 80s.

Cincy does not make any sense, because in three weeks when a lot of their seniors play their last game, they will be irrelevant again. Plus, I doubt Ohio State wants another Ohip school in the Big Ten.

Archived