Mark Sanchez-- Was it worth it?

MikeJetsWord

All anyone has to do is look at USC's record this past season to know what motivated Carroll's comments.

Carroll didn't want Sanchez to leave and admitted such later on.

I don't see where this kid's lost all confidence. He's not as ****y as he was early on, he's been beaten down a bit but I don't see a scared kid out there.

Sanchez will be fine. In fact, he'll be more than fine.

Agreed...Petey just wanted to keep Mark for himself for another year, after seeing what they did this year with Barkley (their worst season in a while) I know why.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jets braintrust handed the starting job to Sanchez with no competition. That's negative reinforcement. They then told him throw all the iNT's you want, we won't pull you. That's more negative reinforcement. He hurts himself, sit's out one game, and although Clemens was rusty, the team wins. The following week, Sanchez is back behind center, throws 3 picks, but he'll be starting a gain next week. That's negative reinforcement. I'm not sure what is the message they are trying to send this kid? We love you unconditionally?

That's not negative reinforcement.

OK...his rookie season is almost over and we've got your typical extremist's on either side. Some are already calling him a major bust and a general ******* in life. Others are preaching the few things he does right and creating every imaginable excuse for his mistakes.

Reality is, his performance is somewhere in between just like everything. I've heard people say, "What has he shown?"

Well, he's shown he can throw a lot of picks....which is the answer the people asking the question are looking for...but he has shown a lot more too. I, personally, am not anywhere near giving up on him and I still think he'll be a good QB. Remember, don't compare him to Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, etc. Those are some of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game...we don't need that to win a lot of games and a Superbowl. I highly doubt Ben Roethlisberger(however you spell that) is going to the Hall of Fame...but I don't think any Steelers fans are complaining.

In Mark Sanchez's Rookie Season...

...he has 8 games where he has thrown and INT and 5 where he hasn't. Showing me when it rains it pours, something I think is expected with a rookie, but he has the ability to have great games.

...he has 3 games out of 14 with a passer rating over 100. Only 6 QB's are averaging over a 100 QB rating this season. He has his good games, but just like every rookie, he has games where he totally lays an egg...

...he has a 62.3 QB rating, just above fellow 1st round rookies Matthew Stafford and Josh Freeman. They're all rookies, and they all have passer ratings in the low 60's...go figure. The average QB rating in the NFL usually hovers around 78. I won't do the math, but I imagine Sanchez' rating takes a jump if you take out that 8.3 QB rating clunker against Buffalo.

...he has thrown 12 TDs to 20 INTs. Stafford has thrown 13 TD/20 INTs and Freeman 7 TDs/14 INTs. Again, right on par with his colleagues. What you have to remember about the INTs is a lot of them will come from trying to make decisions on throws in half a second that worked in college, but simply won't in the pro's. They'll eventually retrain themselves to not make these throws.

...he has thrown for 175 yards a game on average...well below Stafford's 226.7 but almost exactly even with Freeman's 176.5. However, dive further into the stats and you realize that because the Jets ground game has been so strong Sanchez hasn't needed to throw the ball as much. Sanchez has 25.3 attempts per game and Stafford has 37.7. Break that all down and you realize Sanchez has 6.9 yards per attempt and Stafford only 6.

...How about passes over 20 yards? Sanchez has 34...Stafford 26...Freeman 21. Interesting considering Stafford and Freeman were the big armed QBs who could chuck it 20-to-20.

...has almost an identical completion percentage with the other two 1st round rookies...Sanchez = 53.5...Stafford = 53.3...Freeman = 53.5

Now, none of this proves anything in either extreme. It doesn't prove he is the next big thing at QB...and it doesn't prove he is the next big bust at QB. It only proves his performance warrants further consideration.

I am definitely still excited about Sanchez's career as a Jet. He plays a bit like Brett Favre (I hate direct comparisons but sometimes they help get a point across), in that he moves around a lot and is very active in the pocket (or completely out of it), and he'll run around for a while trying to find an open receiver. He'll also seem to take unecessary riskes at times, part of that gunslinger mentality. Nothing like Peyton Manning who will sit in the pocket and throw essentially only from there. You hardly ever see Peyton move outside of the pocket. Both styles have proven they can be very successful. But, I am not at all trying to say Sanchez will be anything like either QB or anywhere near as good. Those are future hall of famers...

I'll add that these are what team have to go through with rookies. The early on is always rough but if they pan out your set for 10 years

Wow, that was one of the most rational posts I've seen here in a while and I like that it was supported with some stats. I completely agree with your overall point.

All anyone has to do is look at USC's record this past season to know what motivated Carroll's comments.

I don't see where this kid's lost all confidence. He's not as ****y as he was early on, he's been beaten down a bit but I don't see a scared kid out there.

Sanchez will be fine. In fact, he'll be more than fine.

I bet he was scared after he not only left the pocket, ran and refused to throw the ball away at the end of the game...

He ****ing dove, head first, again...

Rex was not a happy camper... As you could see when he flew into a rage and ran 10 yards onto the field...

I know, I know... I didn't think he could do that either...

I hope the oxygen mask was waiting when he returned...

While I agree Schotty has been bad since day one on the job and gets way too much credit due to his lineage, you can't look past the issue with Sanchez. Not that Sanchez is an immediate bust by any means. The problem is Sanchez has so little experience playing football, period. Not even NFL football, just football in general. Yesterday was the first time in his entire life that he played in cold weather. The only time he has played in anything but dry, warm air is learning as an NFL pro. He has a TON of work to do to get up to NFL speed. I just can't possibly see how he reaches his full potential any time soon whatsoever. He's going to have issues next year as well because he will still be learning. I think he can become a very good NFL QB, but I don't think that Jets fans have that patience. I also don't that the team is built to patiently wait for him either. If he only plays marginally better next year there will be a divide in the locker room. Especially if the coach continues to place the blame on a D that holds opponents to 10 points. I just don't see this marriage ending well.

I bet he was scared after he not only left the pocket, ran and refused to throw the ball away at the end of the game...

Rex was not a happy camper... As you could see when he flew into a rage and ran 10 yards onto the field...

Looke to me that Rex was mad at the defensive player who rolled on Sanchez after the play had stopped. He did not do that because of Sanchez' dive. Reading his lips he said thats ****in bull****.

Rex ran on the field yelling at the ref's. If you recall Faneca just got hit with a chippy personal foul for blocking a guy a little late or "finishing the play" as Rex later described it. A couple plays later 2 defenders jump on his QB after the first one already made the tackle and no flag was thrown. That's what he went running out there about.

Wow, that was one of the most rational posts I've seen here in a while and I like that it was supported with some stats. I completely agree with your overall point.

It was a good post but does leave some things out. Most importantly are the advantages he had over some others. Stafford is in Detroit, home of the 32nd ranked defense. Sanchez is on the Jets with the #1 defense. One is chasing opponents in must-pass situations a hell of a lot more than the other. The evidence is in the number of passes they've thrown. Stafford has thrown 377 passes in 10 games. Sanchez 329 passes in 14 games.

So gross interception totals are one thing but it negates the desperation the offenses were in more often. It also doesn't take into account that Stafford has Calvin Johnson and no one else to throw to.

Stafford has thrown an average of 38 passes per game. Sanchez has never been asked to throw 38 passes in a game, and the 32 he threw yesterday was the 2nd-most attempts he's thrown all season.

None of this means Stafford will turn out better than Sanchez. But the two QB's weren't placed in remotely similar situations.

The ypa is also based a little on the situations (for all three of them). All three have virtually identical completion percentages at 53.3%, 53.5%, and 53.5%. That Sanchez has a bit higher ypa shouldn't come as any surprise to Jets fans as we know it is a rarity to see him dump off to a RB.

Detroit's RB's have about 75 receptions (27.3% of Detroit's completed passes).

Tampa's RB's have 56 receptions (23.0% of Tampa's completed passes).

Jets RB's have about* 30 receptions (15.7% of NYJ's completed passes).

*Woodhead has 7 and I don't know offhand how many came out of the backfield and how many came as a WR so I guessed 3 as RB and 4 as WR.

So while this is a disadvantage for Sanchez the player, it is an advantage for Sanchez statistically in terms of ypa when all three have identical completion percentages.

And I'd just like to add, as others have today, that Schottenheimer is an out of control imbecile for having Sanchez (and Clemens in his one game) throw so few passes to their backs. Is it not enough that Sanchez was so raw that he needs to force the ball downfield so much in mostly close ballgames? Friggin' jackoff.

While I agree Schotty has been bad since day one on the job and gets way too much credit due to his lineage, you can't look past the issue with Sanchez. Not that Sanchez is an immediate bust by any means. The problem is Sanchez has so little experience playing football, period. Not even NFL football, just football in general. Yesterday was the first time in his entire life that he played in cold weather. The only time he has played in anything but dry, warm air is learning as an NFL pro. He has a TON of work to do to get up to NFL speed. I just can't possibly see how he reaches his full potential any time soon whatsoever. He's going to have issues next year as well because he will still be learning. I think he can become a very good NFL QB, but I don't think that Jets fans have that patience. I also don't that the team is built to patiently wait for him either. If he only plays marginally better next year there will be a divide in the locker room. Especially if the coach continues to place the blame on a D that holds opponents to 10 points. I just don't see this marriage ending well.

So the question is are the Jets going to add a capable veteran QB or go into the 2010 season with Sanchez-O'Connell-Ainge?

(I'm guessing Clemens won't be re-signed but his presence would hardly constitute a capable veteran being on the roster).

So the question is are the Jets going to add a capable veteran QB or go into the 2010 season with Sanchez-O'Connell-Ainge?

(I'm guessing Clemens won't be re-signed but his presence would hardly constitute a capable veteran being on the roster).

There's the rub Sperm. If they do and bench Sanchez at some point next year it's a HUGE step back for his development and his psyche. This was the year to have done that. Next year we should swallow our medicine and live or die by Sanchez, just as we did this year. If he doesn't improve substantially, year 3 preseason becomes a competition with a vet that he needs to show that he can earn his job. It's the only way they can go unless they try the Vince Young route.

Rex ran on the field yelling at the ref's. If you recall Faneca just got hit with a chippy personal foul for blocking a guy a little late or "finishing the play" as Rex later described it. A couple plays later 2 defenders jump on his QB after the first one already made the tackle and no flag was thrown. That's what he went running out there about.

Thanks for clarifying :)

I still stand by the fact that I can't believe he ran that far :eek:

There's the rub Sperm. If they do and bench Sanchez at some point next year it's a HUGE step back for his development and his psyche. This was the year to have done that. Next year we should swallow our medicine and live or die by Sanchez, just as we did this year. If he doesn't improve substantially, year 3 preseason becomes a competition with a vet that he needs to show that he can earn his job. It's the only way they can go unless they try the Vince Young route.

To me there's more to it than Sanchez's psyche.

There are 50+ other players who deserve better than two backup QB's with 6 combined NFL pass attempts between them should Sanchez get injured. Like it or not (and I don't) his knees are of at least mild concern.

Bingo

I agree with this 100%

As do I. I understand the reasoning to bring this topic up, but for people to make a statement like he is a bust is ridiculous. How many great QB's had weird and sporadic first seasons? I hate losing like anyone else, but this attitude that everything has to happen in one year or RIGHT NOW!!! is crazy and what is wrong with the league . no long term vision anymore

To me there's more to it than Sanchez's psyche.

There are 50+ other players who deserve better than two backup QB's with 6 combined NFL pass attempts between them should Sanchez get injured. Like it or not (and I don't) his knees are of at least mild concern.

I have to agree with this, more bumps along the way plus age. Definitely a cause for concern.

Great post. This is what worries me. He's not improving and he isnt showing me any reason that will change soon. Lots of work to do with this one. Is one off season enough time? I dont think so, but this team is built to win now. Though we are still rather young, the fear of a division in the locker room is possible if the kid doesnt improve. No doubt, but you cant put him on the pine now. No way. If they should have done that this year, who knows, but its too late to bench him. He's your guy.

I nom'd this btw. But , I'm not willing to predict whether it works or not. It could, I think Sanchez has some talent. He's just a nincompoop at this point in his career who hasnt learned from his mistakes. All the reports said he was a smart kid, lets hope it clicks for him sooner than later because he's a boob right now and we have a team that IMO could make a run with a good QB.

It was a good post but does leave some things out. Most importantly are the advantages he had over some others. Stafford is in Detroit, home of the 32nd ranked defense. Sanchez is on the Jets with the #1 defense. One is chasing opponents in must-pass situations a hell of a lot more than the other. The evidence is in the number of passes they've thrown. Stafford has thrown 377 passes in 10 games. Sanchez 329 passes in 14 games.

So gross interception totals are one thing but it negates the desperation the offenses were in more often. It also doesn't take into account that Stafford has Calvin Johnson and no one else to throw to.

Stafford has thrown an average of 38 passes per game. Sanchez has never been asked to throw 38 passes in a game, and the 32 he threw yesterday was the 2nd-most attempts he's thrown all season.

None of this means Stafford will turn out better than Sanchez. But the two QB's weren't placed in remotely similar situations.

The ypa is also based a little on the situations (for all three of them). All three have virtually identical completion percentages at 53.3%, 53.5%, and 53.5%. That Sanchez has a bit higher ypa shouldn't come as any surprise to Jets fans as we know it is a rarity to see him dump off to a RB.

*Woodhead has 7 and I don't know offhand how many came out of the backfield and how many came as a WR so I guessed 3 as RB and 4 as WR.

So while this is a disadvantage for Sanchez the player, it is an advantage for Sanchez statistically in terms of ypa when all three have identical completion percentages.

And I'd just like to add, as others have today, that Schottenheimer is an out of control imbecile for having Sanchez (and Clemens in his one game) throw so few passes to their backs. Is it not enough that Sanchez was so raw that he needs to force the ball downfield so much in mostly close ballgames? Friggin' jackoff.

That article was completely subjective, thanks for taking that one. Great breakdown.

In their rookie year, Joe Flacco reached the AFC Championship game, and Matt Ryan also made the playoffs. This year, it's possible that both will miss the playoffs.

I shudder to think what Sanchez will do in the typical sophomore slump season.

Ha! I was thinking about this as well while watching the game. But can you have a slump coming off year like this? I mean, he hasnt been good to be in a slump.

I understand that it doesn't take all variables into account, but the overall point it makes is what I think people miss. Watching him play and looking at stats suggest he's playing like an average rookie QB which is wildly inconsistent. No more no less. I'm finding it hard to grasp why fans seem so unprepared for this.

I understand that it doesn't take all variables into account, but the overall point it makes is what I think people miss. Watching him play and looking at stats suggest he's playing like an average rookie QB which is wildly inconsistent. No more no less. I'm finding it hard to grasp why fans seem so unprepared for this.

It doesn't take the BIGGEST variables into account which is the situation each is in. They have different coaches, different surrounding players, and different defense putting them in different situations on offense.

In other words, it looks pretty but it's really not that meaningful.

Does Sanchez throw only 20 TD's if he's attempting another 15 passes every game and a far greater percentage of those drop-backs in must-pass situations? It's possible but not likely.

That's not negative reinforcement.

Riiiiiiight. I see... so if Sanchez got a job driving a cab, and he shows up drunk his first night on the job, and his boss says "thats ok, you can drive anyway!" And the next night he shows up even more drunk and smashes the cab into a parked car and his boss says "No problem! come back tomorrow!" and he drives the cab into an oncoming vehicle and has a head on collision and his boss says "Here's a raise!" so he gets even more ****faced the following night, shows up for work, his boss hands him the keys, and he plows into a bunch of pedestrians waiting at a bus stop and kills a few people and his boss says

"Gee, I think that guy has a drinking problem"

It doesn't take the BIGGEST variables into account which is the situation each is in. They have different coaches, different surrounding players, and different defense putting them in different situations on offense.

In other words, it looks pretty but it's really not that meaningful.

Does Sanchez throw only 20 TD's if he's attempting another 15 passes every game and a far greater percentage of those drop-backs in must-pass situations? It's possible but not likely.

It looks pretty for me because it speaks to a point I think isn't really that deep. It doesn't explain a lot of things but it does show the same trends that most rookie QBs follow. I guess you can make an arguement that he's been slightly below average for a rookie but I've seen nothing from him overall that makes me freak out.

Riiiiiiight. I see... so if Sanchez got a job driving a cab, and he shows up drunk his first night on the job, and his boss says "thats ok, you can drive anyway!" And the next night he shows up even more drunk and smashes the cab into a parked car and his boss says "No problem! come back tomorrow!" and he drives the cab into an oncoming vehicle and has a head on collision and his boss says "Here's a raise!" so he gets even more ****faced the following night, shows up for work, his boss hands him the keys, and he plows into a bunch of pedestrians waiting at a bus stop and kills a few people and his boss says

"Gee, I think that guy has a drinking problem"

I agree with what you're saying, but it appears Aten's pointing out that isn't an example of negative reinforcement.

Negative reinforcement is when you reinforce people to avoid negative consequences by performing as you'd like them to. Punishing someone for bad behavior is negative reinforcement. Rewarding someone for good behavior is positive reinforcement. Rewarding Sanchez for bad behavior (bad play) is neither positive reinforcement nor negative reinforcement. It's just called stupid.

Negative reinforcement would be when a coach benches a player for poor play. They'd be trying to reinforce a desired act (good QB play in this instance) by using the threat of negative influence (benching him).

At least that's the way I always thought it meant. But I'm no authority on clinical psychology.

I haven't been around the forums most of the year. Most of the time because I want to puck when i see what is written about my favorite team. I'm in the minority here but i have 4 words for many Jets fans, Shut the **** up!

they played a rookie QB this year, if you thought they were going to the Super Bowl do us all a favor and punch yourself in the balls repeatedly and spare the world from more stupid children. Sanchez has at times been brilliant and other times putrid, what you should expect from a ROOKIE. At the beginning of the season most of us had tempered expectations of a longshot playoff chance, well guess what we got, a longshot playoff chance.

You have a new coach, a new QB, and your MVP's on both offense and defense injured, they are damn good to be in the position they are now.

Next year things should be more consistent, and two years from now they should be a force. These things take time, but you morons out there are too damn impatient.

I haven't been around the forums most of the year. Most of the time because I want to puck when i see what is written about my favorite team. I'm in the minority here but i have 4 words for many Jets fans, Shut the **** up!

they played a rookie QB this year, if you thought they were going to the Super Bowl do us all a favor and punch yourself in the balls repeatedly and spare the world from more stupid children. Sanchez has at times been brilliant and other times putrid, what you should expect from a ROOKIE. At the beginning of the season most of us had tempered expectations of a longshot playoff chance, well guess what we got, a longshot playoff chance.

You have a new coach, a new QB, and your MVP's on both offense and defense injured, they are damn good to be in the position they are now.

Next year things should be more consistent, and two years from now they should be a force. These things take time, but you morons out there are too damn impatient.

question..

when i perform the sterilization by ball punch procedure, do I wear boxing gloves or go bare fisted?

Cause i dont own boxing gloves..

Sanchez's parents didn't want him to go pro and phoned Carroll and asked him to intervene. Carroll isn't the bad guy in all this like people say.

Also, given that we run the football so damn much, how about not telegraphing pass plays by putting the poor kid back there in an empty shotgun?

I agree with what you're saying, but it appears Aten's pointing out that isn't an example of negative reinforcement.

Negative reinforcement is when you reinforce people to avoid negative consequences by performing as you'd like them to. Punishing someone for bad behavior is negative reinforcement. Rewarding someone for good behavior is positive reinforcement. Rewarding Sanchez for bad behavior (bad play) is neither positive reinforcement nor negative reinforcement. It's just called stupid.

Negative reinforcement would be when a coach benches a player for poor play. They'd be trying to reinforce a desired act (good QB play in this instance) by using the threat of negative influence (benching him).

At least that's the way I always thought it meant. But I'm no authority on clinical psychology.

I've heard it described like that but I always thought the "positive" and "negative" referred to what was occurring to the stimuli in the scenario.

So a positive reinforcer is something added to the environment upon completion of a behavior in order to encourage repeat performance, whereas a negative reinforcer is something removed from an environment upon completion of a behavior in order to encourage repeat behavior.

For example, parental nagging might be a negative reinforcer. When the desired behavior is achieved, the nagging then ends and a child learns to do a task in order to get the nagging to cease.

I Next year things should be more consistent, and two years from now they should be a force.

Yadda yadda yadda wait until next year

I've been listening to this crap for 35 years

"someday" never comes.

Your description of Sanchez sounds exactly the the description of Browning Nagle.

You're a broken record.

Hurry up and get in the pumpkin patch, Linus.

Pack a lunch.

This is a quarterback driven league and we needed a quarterback. Sanchez is better than anyone in the 2010 draft (assuming Bradford is damaged goods), so I think we made a good move. Every organization should draft a QB high at least every 10 years. This was our time and I think we got someone we can work with.

The problem wasn't drafting Sanchez. He has all the tools. The problem was picking up Favre who didn't want to play here, then letting him play injured/tank the season, then letting him go on his merry faux-retirement and play for Vikes while giving up Pennington who rightfully should have been a Mentor for a very inexperienced Mark Sanchez, then sticking the a kid with 16 total college starts into the starting lineup of an New York NFL franchise in order to sell PSL's even though he needed to learn the system better, how to handle the media, the best way to present himself publicly, and how not to act like a "kid" on and off the field. He wasn't ready to start. But he was forced to. That's the problem. The guy's lost in the woods and wandering deeper now.

The problem wasn't drafting Sanchez. He has all the tools. The problem was picking up Favre who didn't want to play here, then letting him play injured/tank the season, then letting him go on his merry faux-retirement and play for Vikes while giving up Pennington who rightfully should have been a Mentor for a very inexperienced Mark Sanchez, then sticking the a kid with 16 total college starts into the starting lineup of an New York NFL franchise in order to sell PSL's even though he needed to learn the system better, how to handle the media, the best way to present himself publicly, and how not to act like a "kid" on and off the field. He wasn't ready to start. But he was forced to. That's the problem. The guy's lost in the woods and wandering deeper now.

You and Boozer summed it all up perfectly.

;)

The only problem with this is that its an odd year and Pennington was bound to get hurt this season, you know, I know it, all Jets fans knew it was bound to happen and it did.

So essentially we'd be starting an experienced QB even with Pennington on the team. And I dont want a conservative QB like Pennington teaching Sanchez. No thank you.

Favre rid of us Pennington, thats a good thing.

Archived