How long are you illing to wait??

Boozer76

Why don't you guys like Campbell? He's played much better than Sanchez under far more difficult circumstances.

Agreed.. I said it in another thread, but I really think this is a strong playoff team with Campbell here.. He's very careful with the ball and has some upside as well..

Plus his coach is a dumb**** of epic proportions..

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This works if you're inclined to write off the previous quarterbacks' failure as a series of discrete flukes and not something that happens for a reason. I think it's more likely that there's a reason.

Yes, but there's about a thousand different variables. Just because there's one commonality does not make something a guaranteed lock to happen.

Age, emotional and physical maturity, physical skills, intelligence, talent, coaching, teammates, style of offense....

To say that there is one reason why all who came before Sanchez failed is just a silly as saying that someone will succeed based on a single variable.

Saying Sanchez will fail based solely on how many games he played in college is just as silly as saying he will succeed because he's thrown more than 20 picks as a rookie and so did Peyton Manning.

Why don't you guys like Campbell? He's played much better than Sanchez under far more difficult circumstances.

Playing better than Sanchez is not a valid criteria because nearly every veteran starting QB in the NFL has played better than Sanchez.

Agreed.. I said it in another thread, but I really think this is a strong playoff team with Campbell here.. He's very careful with the ball and has some upside as well..

Plus his coach is a dumb**** of epic proportions..

LOL

CTM = Neo-penningtologist.

This is true, but thats not saying much.

I guess watching last nights game where he was terrible is resignating in my mind, but he is much better than Sanchez right now.

I guess because I'm not ready to give up on Sanchez just yet, Jason Campbell isnt the name that jumps of the board to me saying here's our answer. Sanchez could be just as good if not better than Campbell.

Saying Sanchez will fail based solely on how many games he played in college is just as silly as saying he will succeed because he's thrown more than 20 picks as a rookie and so did Peyton Manning.

No, it really isn't, because that's one guy. Like a dozen other guys threw 20 picks as rookies and kept right on sucking. ALL of the quarterbacks who started as few games as Sanchez did in college failed.

Playing better than Sanchez is not a valid criteria because nearly every veteran starting QB in the NFL has played better than Sanchez.

What are you talking about? Of course playing better than Sanchez is the relevant criteria when we're talking about who I'd rather have than Sanchez.

No, it really isn't, because that's one guy. Like a dozen other guys threw 20 picks as rookies and kept right on sucking. ALL of the quarterbacks who started as few games as Sanchez did in college failed.

I was using one example. It was the first that came to mind.

Why don't you go back and list some of the guys who started so few games in college and failed in the NFL and I guarantee you can find 20 different reasons why each of them failed. Some they will have in common, others they will not.

My point is that this is pretty ****ing far from a hard and fast rule and doesn't mean for two seconds that Sanchez projected as a failure. Had he projected as a failure, he doesn't get drafted fifth overall.

And that is the number one reason why I wanted nothing to do with Sanchez...and many others felt the same way.

Dont understand why we had to challenge history when history tells you, it doesnt work out. Still not giving up, but just pointing out again, the Jets decided to draft the 1 guy I wanted nothing to do with 2 years in a row.

Klecko, Mr. Spock is correct.

History is squarely on Aten's side. So in my book, it's not worth debating with him. As he notes, every college QB similary situated to Sanchez has failed in the NFL. Every one.

If I was a nihilist like Aten, I'd back his position 100%.

But I'm fundamentally an irrational optimist at heart, so I'll disagree.

LOL

CTM = Neo-penningtologist.

gfy :D

I was never completely anti-game manager.. just anti incapable of being anything else, and anti-chicken ****

And of course, ultimately I'd like a Rivers/Rodgers back there.. at this point all we have to do is hope Sanchez turns into that guy

And that is the number one reason why I wanted nothing to do with Sanchez...and many others felt the same way.

Dont understand why we had to challenge history when history tells you, it doesnt work out. Still not giving up, but just pointing out again, the Jets decided to draft the 1 guy I wanted nothing to do with 2 years in a row.

Why don't you save yourself the trouble and put it in you sig.. I think that's the third time I've read that in the last 12 hours.. sheesh

Why don't you go back and list some of the guys who started so few games in college and failed in the NFL and I guarantee you can find 20 different reasons why each of them failed. Some they will have in common, others they will not.

Superficially, sure. But broadly it's all for the same reason. You can't play multiple seasons concurrently. This year Sanchez has had to try to learn what he should have learned in his second season starting at USC while also learning what he needs to learn as a first year pro. This is simply impossible because there are only so many hours in a day and days in a year. Trying to do to much begets regression, regression begets more catch-up, and the cycle continues until he's out of the league.

I'm not willing to wait any longer. This was a stupid idea from the beginning. The fact that we're stuck with his contract is no reason to waste another season. I don't understand the idea that he's going to somehow get caught up on all of the experience he hasn't had. Two years from now he'll still be starting games that Rivers and Cutler had logged in college. Trying to coach him up at this point is just building a house on a crappy foundation.

Ok, so what are you going to do then? Stop rooting for the team? Stop posting on this messageboard? Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out then.

What are you talking about? Of course playing better than Sanchez is the relevant criteria when we're talking about who I'd rather have than Sanchez.

Because that's like saying there's an opening for the track team and putting on the fliar "You must be able to run."

Right now, any veteran option you propose would have played better than Sanchez this season outside of Russell and Delhomme.

Superficially, sure. But broadly it's all for the same reason. You can't play multiple seasons concurrently. This year Sanchez has had to try to learn what he should have learned in his second season starting at USC while also learning what he needs to learn as a first year pro. This is simply impossible because there are only so many hours in a day and days in a year. Trying to do to much begets regression, regression begets more catch-up, and the cycle continues until he's out of the league.

In your opinion would Sanchez have been helped by sit a year or two, or was it a lost cause from day 1?

In your opinion would Sanchez have been helped by sit a year or two, or was it a lost cause from day 1?

Not that the question was posed to me, but I was a firm believer that if Sanchez had any chance to be successful, it would require spending some time standing on the sidelines.

To Aten's credit, he hasn't hedged one bit and hated the pick before it was even made, if I recall correctly.

And I tend to think the opposite is true. If you've got a guy who hasn't played a whole lot so experience is your concern, what benefit is gained from him not playing?

I would think you would want him to gain as much experience as possible provided you thought he was emotionally strong enough to handle it.

Because that's like saying there's an opening for the track team and putting on the fliar "You must be able to run."

Right now, any veteran option you propose would have played better than Sanchez this season outside of Russell and Delhomme.

How is this hard? I say I'm ready to cut bait, JiF asks me for an alternative, I give him Campbell because he is, like most veteran quarterbacks, better than Sanchez, and unlike most, might be available and affordable.

Bring in a vet QB to challenge Sanchez in training camp next season. If the vet clearly beats him out, then you start to possibly consider alternatives.

There arent any QB's in this upcoming draft that will be graded higher than Sanchez, so we will see in 2011.

And I tend to think the opposite is true. If you've got a guy who hasn't played a whole lot so experience is your concern, what benefit is gained from him not playing?

I honestly don't have any opinion on this. How could I?

Not that the question was posed to me, but I was a firm believer that if Sanchez had any chance to be successful, it would require spending some time standing on the sidelines.

To Aten's credit, he hasn't hedged one bit and hated the pick before it was even made, if I recall correctly.

That ship having now sailed, do you think Sanchez has zero chance of being successfuly now?

If so, what do you think the Jets should do for a QB moving forward?

3 years from now all of you will pretend you saw how great Sanchez would be and never said a negative thing about him. It'll be laughable if it wasn't so stupid. It's not like anyone ever has accountability, there were so many people on here who were convinced Pennington, Herm, Mangini and Schitty were all great and would argue their merits non-stop, and now everyone pretends they always hated them.

Sanchez already has the goods, this is the one time the Jets actually took a shot at getting a possible top QB. Stafford hasn't looked much better. I like Stafford but in recent weeks I think Sanchez has surpassed him. You have to look beyond the stats and look at the actual throws and game situations. With a new OC in here the Jets offense explodes next year.

Archived