Namath makes 1 year sober

Mean Papi Green

Updated: Mar. 8, 2005, 2:26 AM ET

Namath on why he's still sober: 'It'd kill me'

ESPN.com news services

Football Hall of Famer Joe Namath says he has been sober for more than a year and told ESPN on Monday that his continued sobriety is not only a matter of health, but of survival.

"It'd kill me," Namath said when asked how he's been able to stay sober. "I know it was just a matter of time. It's not the way I wanted to communicate with my family, under the influence."

Namath was a guest Monday on the set of Hot List on ESPNews. In an interview with ESPN's John Buccigross, Namath was asked about his health as a recovering alcoholic, a recovery process that began about a month after Namath told ESPN's Suzy Kolber that he wanted to kiss her in a live sideline interview for an ESPN NFL telecast of a Patriots-Jets game in December 2003.

During Monday's interview with Buccigross, Namath also said, "If I see Suzy Kolber around here, I'm going to ask her if I can give her a little kiss." Namath then laughed and quickly added, "Hey, I'm straight.

"That was a bad situation that I created, so to speak, and was a blessing in disguise."

Namath, who was in Bristol Monday to do some work for ESPN Classic, underwent counseling for alcohol abuse a month after the 2003 sideline incident.

"I needed some help," Namath said in August 2004. "I realized that I'm the kind of person who can't drink any more and that's that."

He can SMOOOOOCH me anytime :roll:

Bren if you have smooched any Jets and care to share the stories here, please feel free.

Next week I am going to come clean and tell my Nuu Faaola story. He smacked me around for awhile, so it is hard to discuss for me. But it needs to be said.

I have been sober for the entire 18 years of my life, so Namath's feat isn't all that impressive. Yes, I am a loser. :lol:

I was sober for the first 18 years of my life also....and then college came...and I've drank enough at parties in 2 years to make up for the last 18. :lol::P 8)

I was sober for the first 18 years of my life also....and then college came...and I've drank enough at parties in 2 years to make up for the last 18. :lol::P 8)

But I'm currently in my 2nd semester at college, and haven't drunk enough IN TOTAL to get me drunk ONCE.

But I'm currently in my 2nd semester at college, and haven't drunk enough IN TOTAL to get me drunk ONCE.

Respectable. I don't get drunk a lot. But a lot of it has to do with what school your at. I don't know where you go but here at FSU, you almost feel obligated to go out and party and drink every weekend. You feel anti-social around here if you dont.

Respectable. I don't get drunk a lot. But a lot of it has to do with what school your at. I don't know where you go but here at FSU, you almost feel obligated to go out and party and drink every weekend. You feel anti-social around here if you dont.

UNCW seems like it's between a party school and an academic school. There aren't many frat houses around, and most people here are serious about their education and what-not, but most people also party on the weekends.

Savage, I can't even begin to tell you. I'm glad I went, but on the other hand, I wish I hadn't. Anyway, this is a great site...thanks for recommending it.

Herm thanks for the kind words about the site!

Archived