First of all, I think we should make a rule that when we dog our players that we can't get rid of, like, say, a good-looking QB from USC who was drafted for marketabity, (Derek Jeter,anyone?).

So, when we speak badly about them , we shouldn't have to qualify it with " but I'm rooting for hin" we're Jet fans, it's understood, we all want Sanchez to be awesome.

YES I KNOW HE'S A ROOKIE!!!!!

But, please show me a star in the league at QB, meaning a multi-time probowler or even HOF, since we gave up our draft as such, PLEASE show me one that wa THIS pathetic in his rookie year.

Flacco, Ben,Ryan weren't flukes, they had talent. Peyton struggled a bit,as did Eli, but not HORRIBLE. SANCHEZ IS HORRIBLE RIGHT NOW.

I'm afraid we were duped again.

p.s.

The sad part is that Rex Ryan showed his defensive genius by having this Jenkinless defense playing top tier football.(remember how that went for mangini) I was ready to ship Pouha tp a remote island and we are STUFFING the offense, but Mr. Turnover...................

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Truth. There's no player on the board at 52 that we're really missing out on. If he turns out to be Eli, we've done great.

LANCEMEHL- TEH VOICE OF REASON

This is the worst thread ever. Peyton Manning had 28 interceptions his rookie season. Troy Aikman lost his first ****ing 13 games as a starter. Just STFU! It's only his first season playing behin

Peyton struggled a bit,as did Eli, but not HORRIBLE.

Eli Manning, 2004:

9 games, 95-197 (48.2%), 1043 yards (5.29 YPA), 6 TD, 9 INT, 55.4 rating

Mark Sanchez, 2009:

13 games, 176-329 (53.5%), 2275 yards (6.91 YPA), 12 TD, 20 INT, 62.3 rating

Say what you want about Sanchez, but Eli was also crapola his rookie season.

Eli Manning, 2004:

Mark Sanchez, 2009:

has eli been to a probowl? I honestly dont know and Sanchez threw 11 more picks in 4 more games, NOT GOOD XXXX try again, thanx for playing.

Eli v. Sanchez first years seem like a good comparison Lance.

We'd be damn lucky for Sanchez to be another Eli judging from what I've seen so far.

again, that's why i said it should be understood that when we rip guys we are STUCK WITH we should know that we WANT them to be great, but we just HATE watching them play on Sunday.

That's all. It's the only way to be a realist.

merry christmas Happy holidays

Hey I agree with you. I think we got sold a bill of goods on sanchez. Went for the pretty, marketable, diverse, modern face and what we're stuck with is a GQ ad with happy feet that can only make one (poor) read.

I'd say Eli is his ceiling; akili smith is his floor. not good considering what we gave up to go get him.

But you're damn right i hope i'm wrong.

Edited by johnny green balls

I'd say Eli is his ceiling; akili smith is his floor. not good considering what we gave up to go get him.

We didn't really give up a whole lot to get him. If he turns out to be even an average to above average NFL QB (i.e. Eli), our deal with the Browns will have been a heist.

You could also compare Aikman and Elway. Jets fans are really stupid. The Jets franchise listens to fans too much, on top of being incompetent, those are huge reasons for being such a sorry franchise.

You draft a QB and then you give him 3 years. The Giants did that while everyone was busy making fun of Eli and writing him off as a complete bust, and they got an SB out of it and are a solid franchise. A passing offense now I might add, a passing offense with crapola for WRs.

Ryan, Flacco and Ben WERE flukes, they had historical rookie campaigns...campaigns that weren't even that great. Sanchez was right there with them until a few games ago. Flacco has developed well now but just check his rookie season, hardly jaw dropping numbers. They barely asked him to throw and just ran the rock all day long. Same with Ben actually. The difference was that despite not being #1 in defense and #1 in rushing, those teams did score points and did win those games without needing the QB to put the offense on his back and get those scores for them, like the Jets demand. The Ravens and Steelers were perfectly willing to just punt all day and then shut teams down anyway. The Jets are not, the Jets D gives up game winning TDs and then fans complain they were on the field too long instead. The Jets fans claim TJ and the Jets run game are the best in the league, yet you can't just hand the ball off and get TDs and win games with them. Instead Sanchez is generally expected to bail the offense out on 3rd down about 20 times a game to get points (something no QB is going to excel at, even Peyton Manning throws for most of his yardage on 1st and 2nd down).

And finally, Matt Ryan sucks and is unreliable. He has definitely regressed after his rookie year.

average QB for a 5th overall pick. only a jets or raiders fan can consider that a successful draft pick.

Considering how many busts there have been at the QB position, I'll take it. With this defense and running game, we can win a Super Bowl with a QB at the Eli Manning-level. The Giants did.

I'm not saying that we should have low expectations for the 5th pick. But we gave up very little to move from the 17th to the 5th to get him, so it hurts a lot less if he ends up a bust.

The Giants had to give up a LOT more to get Eli, including a superior QB in Phillip Rivers and their 1st rounder the year after. We, meanwhile, still have our 1st rounder this coming April.

Edited by Jetsfan80
We didn't really give up a whole lot to get him. If he turns out to be even an average to above average NFL QB (i.e. Eli), our deal with the Browns will have been a heist.

Truth. There's no player on the board at 52 that we're really missing out on.

If he turns out to be Eli, we've done great.

• Upvote 1
again, that's why i said it should be understood that when we rip guys we are STUCK WITH we should know that we WANT them to be great, but we just HATE watching them play on Sunday.

That's all. It's the only way to be a realist.

merry christmas Happy holidays

Makes sense. ;)

Considering how many busts there have been at the QB position, I'll take it. With this defense and running game, we can win a Super Bowl with a QB at the Eli Manning-level. The Giants did.

I'm not saying that we should have low expectations for the 5th pick. But we gave up very little to move from the 17th to the 5th to get him, so it hurts a lot less if he ends up a bust.

The Giants had to give up a LOT more to get Eli, including a superior QB in Phillip Rivers and their 1st rounder the year after. We, meanwhile, still have our 1st rounder this coming April.

Actually i'd prefer a bust to a medicore 5th pick. at least with a bust you can cut your losses at some point. with a medicore guy you're married to him and his bloated contract because he shows just enough for you to stick with him.

Eli Manning, 2004:

Mark Sanchez, 2009:

The INTs are a problem it shows poor decision making. We shall see I guess--:confused:

You could also compare Aikman and Elway. Jets fans are really stupid. The Jets franchise listens to fans too much, on top of being incompetent, those are huge reasons for being such a sorry franchise.

You draft a QB and then you give him 3 years. The Giants did that while everyone was busy making fun of Eli and writing him off as a complete bust, and they got an SB out of it and are a solid franchise. A passing offense now I might add, a passing offense with crapola for WRs.

Ryan, Flacco and Ben WERE flukes, they had historical rookie campaigns...campaigns that weren't even that great. Sanchez was right there with them until a few games ago. Flacco has developed well now but just check his rookie season, hardly jaw dropping numbers. They barely asked him to throw and just ran the rock all day long. Same with Ben actually. The difference was that despite not being #1 in defense and #1 in rushing, those teams did score points and did win those games without needing the QB to put the offense on his back and get those scores for them, like the Jets demand. The Ravens and Steelers were perfectly willing to just punt all day and then shut teams down anyway. The Jets are not, the Jets D gives up game winning TDs and then fans complain they were on the field too long instead. The Jets fans claim TJ and the Jets run game are the best in the league, yet you can't just hand the ball off and get TDs and win games with them. Instead Sanchez is generally expected to bail the offense out on 3rd down about 20 times a game to get points (something no QB is going to excel at, even Peyton Manning throws for most of his yardage on 1st and 2nd down).

And finally, Matt Ryan sucks and is unreliable. He has definitely regressed after his rookie year.

A Jets fan with patience LOL

The simple fact is our ST cost this team the playoffs, not the highly criticized

rookie QB.

Jet fans could not have handled Eli, he would have been taken out with a frozen

snowball before he reached the Super bowl

Actually i'd prefer a bust to a medicore 5th pick. at least with a bust you can cut your losses at some point. with a medicore guy you're married to him because he shows just enough for you to stick with him.

I think we're disagreeing over semantics. I call "average to above average" a guy like Eli Manning, who is capable of winning a Super Bowl given a good team around him.

You are describing "mediocre" like I would describe Chad Pennington; a guy who can never win you a Super Bowl and always chokes against elite competition.

Eli > Chad. If Sanchez ends up like Pennington, its a disappointment. If he ends up like Eli, its a heist of a deal.

He doesn't get enough flak for his mistakes, but that's because we enjoy blame shifting. Schotty is taking his bullets.

This is not directed straight at you, but I've seen this posted a few times now. By no means, am I only pointing at B Schitt for this mess. Sanchez is just as responsible and even though I joke about it, he's a rookie. I'm not ready to say he's a bust or not. I've had my finger pointed at B Schitt for a while because he hasnt improved. This year just broke the camels back.

This is not directed straight at you, but I've seen this posted a few times now. By no means, am I only pointing at B Schitt for this mess. Sanchez is just as responsible and even though I joke about it, he's a rookie. I'm not ready to say he's a bust or not. I've had my finger pointed at B Schitt for a while because he hasnt improved. This year just broke the camels back.

BINGO.

Schottenheimer: 4 years of not learning from his mistakes.

Sanchez: 1 year of not learning from his mistakes.

Who deserves more blame?

I think we're disagreeing over semantics. I call "average to above average" a guy like Eli Manning, who is capable of winning a Super Bowl given a good team around him.

You are describing "mediocre" like I would describe Chad Pennington; a guy who can never win you a Super Bowl and always chokes against elite competition.

Eli > Chad. If Sanchez ends up like Pennington, its a disappointment. If he ends up like Eli, its a heist of a deal.

Ya i guess i agree seeing as another Eli is probably the best he can ever be.

what lance is saying faba is that it's not looking good. no one is completely writing him off but if there were odds i'd say it would be 3-1 favoring bust based on the info we have at this time.

still think he deserves three years and still hoping for the best, though.

I've had my finger pointed at B Schitt for a while because he hasnt improved. This year just broke the camels back.

Co-sign, it's not like this universal hatred of Schottenheimer magically appeared when Sanchez started sucking. This is going on several seasons now...

OK by this reasoning Sanchez is a complete wasted draft pick after 14 games of a career. I am glad some people are not part of my development team.

Well, he wasted a playoff spot with the #1 defense and an offense that can run the ball... (I refuse to refer to them as the #1 rushing attack)

A compitent QB was all you needed this year...

A healthy Leon and Jenks and you can't deny this team could have easily went deep into the playoffs...

But alas, Sanchez, Schotty and special teams screwed the pooch over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...

But hey, we should have expected to suck with a rookie... We're drafting for the future! :rolleyes:

Hindsight is obviously 20/20 and the kid may do some damage one day...

But this wasn't the season to get cute. It was the season to win...

what lance is saying faba is that it's not looking good. no one is completely writing him off but if there were odds i'd say it's be 3-1 favoring bust based on the info we have at this time.

still think he deserves three years and still hoping for the best, though.

What odds would you have given Elway and Aikman at this point in their NFL careers? Or that Steelers QB that many referred to as "Handsoffberger" and who got killed for his playoff performance his rookie year and first SB performance?

I don't know what your answer is going to be, but I'd have to say EVERY NFL QB has long odds of being good. This is a tough position to play and it is the most important position in a franchise, despite what any of the OL fanatics want you to believe (and I certainly believe in building the trenches, don't get me wrong, I was begging for OL picks while Hermway completely ignored the line, and I believe EVEN NOW this year's draft should have at least one day 1 OL pick). I'm sure Peyton and Matt Ryan had higher odds than most, but that shouldn't change the fact that most QBs don't have great odds after 13 games. Some can get to the Pro Bowl and still be considered bums by huge swathes of people (McNabb, Romo, etc.). Others fall apart (Delhomme, DA, Cutler, etc.). But it doesn't matter, you still need a guy that can play the position and play it well.

Well, he wasted a playoff spot with the #1 defense and an offense that can run the ball... (I refuse to refer to them as the #1 rushing attack)

A healthy Leon and Jenks and you can't deny this team could have easily went deep into the playoffs...

But alas, Sanchez, Schotty and special teams screwed the pooch over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...

But hey, we should have expected to suck with a rookie... We're drafting for the future! :rolleyes:

I'd love to see what you were predicting prior to the season. :rolleyes:

There were points in Eli Manning's career (even his THIRD year) that he looked as if he would never be an NFL caliber Qb. I remember him throwing I think 5 picks in one game in his third year I think and I'm going, wow, what a bust.

Now dude has about 25 TDs, chance to get to 30 for the season which is freakin awesome.

Win what? A playoff game? This team is not SB worthy. Our elite D has feasted

on lowlifes like Bills, Bucs, Raiders and Panthers (Post Jenkins) We are a good defense

far from an elite defense, that has screwed the pooch at least three times. So much

easier to blame the QB

What odds would you have given Elway and Aikman at this point in their NFL careers? Or that Steelers QB that many referred to as "Handsoffberger" and who got killed for his playoff performance his rookie year and first SB performance?

I don't know what your answer is going to be, but I'd have to say EVERY NFL QB has long odds of being good. This is a tough position to play and it is the most important position in a franchise, despite what any of the OL fanatics want you to believe (and I certainly believe in building the trenches, don't get me wrong, I was begging for OL picks while Hermway completely ignored the line, and I believe EVEN NOW this year's draft should have at least one day 1 OL pick). I'm sure Peyton and Matt Ryan had higher odds than most, but that shouldn't change the fact that most QBs don't have great odds after 13 games. Some can get to the Pro Bowl and still be considered bums by huge swathes of people (McNabb, Romo, etc.). Others fall apart (Delhomme, DA, Cutler, etc.). But it doesn't matter, you still need a guy that can play the position and play it well.

Anyone would agree the odds given to Sanchez being "good to great" are lower now than they were at the beginning of the season when optimism was high(er).

I guess that's my point. We can argue about degree but that his performance this year has made all/most Jets fans at least a little less optimistic about his prospects.

This is the worst thread ever. Peyton Manning had 28 interceptions his rookie season. Troy Aikman lost his first ****ing 13 games as a starter.

Just STFU! It's only his first season playing behind center. STFU!

• Upvote 1