Don Darrius seeks trade to Dolphins

Mean Papi Green

Darrius seeks deal to Miami

BY JASON COLE

jcole@herald.com

Jacksonville safety Donovin Darius is considered one of the hardest hitters in the NFL and now is pounding the pavement to get a trade.

Hopefully to Miami, he said Monday night.

Darius took the unusual tact of sending an e-mail to request an interview with The Herald on Monday to discuss not only his desire to leave the Jaguars, but in turn join the Dolphins if a trade can be worked out.

At this point, the Dolphins may be exceptionally interested. The team signed Travares Tillman to be the starting free safety, but Tillman is very inexperienced. The Dolphins had hoped to have Kenoy Kennedy fly to South Florida on Monday night, but that trip was canceled when Kennedy signed with Detroit.

Darius now provides an intriguing option.

''Miami expressed some interest in looking into the situation further after my agent [Tom Condon] contacted them,'' Darius said. ``Where that will go, who's to say right now? But I would love it if something could be done . . . I have no more desire to wear the emblem on the uniform of the Jacksonville Jaguars.''

Last week, Darius, 29, went to Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver and requested permission to work out a trade. Darius is frustrated with having been declared the Jaguars franchise player for three consecutive years.

While another team can sign Darius, the franchise tag requires that a team give up two first-round picks. The Jaguars have said in the past they were willing to accept one first rounder. Now, however, Darius is pushing for a simpler deal, such as a second- or third-round pick only, after saying he feels the Jaguars have ''abused'' the franchise tag with him.

''Each year they have franchised me, the long-term offer they've made has decreased,'' Darius said. ``On the one hand, they say they don't value the safety position, but they value me to the team . . . You can't have it both ways. Either make a commitment to me or let me have a chance to choose.''

Darius said he told Weaver last week that he lost respect for both the organization and Weaver himself. Several days after, he was granted permission to set up a deal.

Now, he's making his strong pitch public.

Dolphins

Vikings Mar. 8 - Safety Donovin Darius on Monday sent e-mails to The Miami Herald and the Minneapolis Star Tribune to request interviews to discuss his desire to leave Jacksonville. Last week, Darius requested permission to seek a trade.

"Miami expressed some interest in looking into the situation further after my agent [Tom Condon] contacted them," Darius told The Herald. "Where that will go, who's to say right now? But I would love it if something could be done.

Archived