I'm totally on board with this...

TaborJet

quote from Rich Cimini...

Changes coming

Remember how the Jets blew up the defense after a disastrous 2003? The same thing is going to happen to the offense after the season.

With five starters over 30 and a seriously injured Pennington, who probably won't be ready for 2006, the Jets are headed to rebuilding, phase two. This time, it's going to be harder because you're dealing with the quarterback position and a restrictive salary-cap situation.

According to salary data, the Jets have $118 million committed to the '06 cap. That would put them about $28million over the projected cap, although the cap will increase if a new collective bargaining agreement is hammered out.

Either way, the Jets probably won't be able to make a big-money splash for a quarterback. Pennington counts $15million next year, $12 million if they cut him before March - a possibility if he doesn't restructure his $3million roster bonus.

So if you're hoping the Jets bottom out and land in a position to grab Matt Leinart, forget it. Even if the Jets do get a shot at the Southern Cal star, it probably would be prohibitive from a cap standpoint.

That's why trading for Chargers backup Philip Rivers makes perfect sense. The Jets would have to surrender at least a first-round pick, but they would be responsible for only $6.3 million in base salaries over the final five years of his current contract. The Jets need cap flexibility to address other needs.

Chances are, they will be looking for a new feature back. No one is saying that Martin, 32, is washed up, but the organization is starting to think it may need a fresh set of legs next year. Martin ($8.1 million cap figure in '06) may have to accept a pay cut and a smaller role to stick around.

The offensive line also will have a facelift. The line isn't the primary reason for the 1-3 start (you try blocking when the defense knows your quarterback can't throw deep), but the age and salaries are getting high. Kevin Mawae ($4.5 million) is 34, Pete Kendall ($4.9 million) is 32 and Jason Fabini ($4.5 million) is 31.

Things change quickly in the NFL. In August, when the Jets visited the Giants in Albany, GM Terry Bradway heard nothing but nice things from Giants officials, who complimented him on the team he had constructed.

Two QB injuries and four dreadful offensive performances later, the Jets look ready to be deconstructed, on one side of the ball, anyway.

Typical Cimini... No knowledge of the REAL Jets cap situation. I don't even have the ability to get inside, like he does, and I know more.

Let's look deeper.

1) He mentioned Pennington restructuring the 3M roster bonus. Ok, that'll help... save 2.25M on the cap if he takes it as signing bonus. However, the REAL way to save money here is to RESTRUCTURE HIS ENTIRE DEAL, even giving him a paycut.

Why would he take a paycut? Because he has 41M on the table yet to be paid, and if he's cut by the Jets, he won't get another contract anywhere above League Minimum.

Why should the Jets give him more than League Minimum? Because, if they cut him he counts as 12M of dead cash.

Solution? Give him a contract filled with incentives that will allow him to earn close to that 41M if he returns to 2002 form, but maybe 15M if he doesn't

2006: Turn 6M base salary into signing bonus, and give him 3M in incentives that are not likely to be earned. 650K base.

2007: 650K base

2008: 4M roster bonus + 650K base + 2M incentives

2009: 2M base, 2M incentives

2010: 4M roster bonus + 650K base + 2M incentives

2011: 6M base

That's 30M. However, his cap hit from 2006 goes down from 15M to 5.15M if there is no CBA extension, and 4.65M if there is. That's about 10M in savings.

2) Ty Law: He's due an 11M roster bonus. He's been playing great. Simply turn his Roster bonus into signing bonus. With a new CBA, that would mean 9.17M would be saved on the cap. Without a new CBA? 8.25M

3) Abraham. Get the man in a long term deal NOW. Instead of 8.008M next year as a franchise player, he'll count somewhere in the neighborhood of 4M. 4M more saved.

That's 23M saved against the cap and I didn't even find any inside information.

Robertson is also due 9M next year. He'll need to be restructured. Same is true with Coles. Curtis Martin can be cut to save some money (2M?) next year, or restructured (I'd rather not do that).

I could keep going, but I've done a better job than a journalist who's JOB it is to do this stuff in 15 minutes. Why you guys keep reading his crap is beyond me.

ya know whats really sad, our hot topic is restructuring this whole offense for next year as we headed into week 4. other than coles & baker, do we have any true keepers on the O?

Long term-I believe Goodwin will be fine as I believe Jones will be presentable as well.

Cotchery can probably stick as an eventual #2.

Those are probably the offensive players you see here still, 5 years down teh road

quote from Rich Cimini...

Changes coming

Remember how the Jets blew up the defense after a disastrous 2003?

2003, Rich? What about 2002, when the had 8 new starters on defense? What about 2003, when they added Rerun Robertson? What about 2004, when they finally drafted a LBer, Vilma, and added Hobson, Brown and Barton and finally replaced Lewis and Jones? Replaced Ted Cottrell with an innovator, Hendu?

It's taken management 4 years to revamp this defense; and it's actually regressed from last year.

4 YEARS!

And overnight, Bradway is going to replace a QB, RB and two tackles.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. And never mind they need a Nose Tackle.

Time to get off the hamster wheel, fellas. Let's call it a day on Herm and Terry. A change of venue will be good for them, and getting some new blood in here will be good for us.

Sowell will not be resigned imo. He is a UFA next year and is 31. Look for the Tuna to grab him. Also, S Ellis is due to count 8 million against the cap. They can restructure that deal. This team is actually in good cap shape once they restructure some deals.

Sowell will not be resigned imo. He is a UFA next year and is 31. Look for the Tuna to grab him. Also, S Ellis is due to count 8 million against the cap. They can restructure that deal. This team is actually in good cap shape once they restructure some deals.

By re-structure, I hope you mean spread out, rather than extend.

Some of those deals are a little front-end heavy, and I know teh Jets wanted to structure them that way.

Yes, I believe there is wiggle room. The Jets could do something with CMartin, if they wanted, I believe, this off-season too.

sign ABE and try to have a monster Defense..

Chris Baker, Mawae, Jones and Coles are the only 'absolute' keepers on offense...

TRADE a # 1 for Rivers...that would be the perfect scenario...I don't care if you have to trade 2 #1's..

Becht and B Thomas were both 3!'s and look how they turned out!

Get a real QB here next year.

I don't want any piece of Phillip Rivers and his funky sidearm delivery. Just because he's the only feasible trade candidate with upside in teh league doesn't mean it's a good idea. If that first round pick is top 5 we are talking about a franchise RB, LT or another sick DT like Ngata. It's just alot to give up.

Archived