Going mountain climbing on Thurs

TaborJet

• 3 weeks later...
Todd can you post a little bit about what it was like? How much training you had to do? What was involved to get ready for this?

Awesome stuff man.

That's a lot of info right there. It may take me years to respond to all those questions.

Seriously, the experience was all that I had hoped for. Really opened my eyes to how people live over there. There's poor, and then there's insanely poor. But as a whole, the people are so friendly and thankful for what little they have. Perhaps they could teach us Americans to be as thankful.

Standing on the summit was pretty special, but short-lived. It took 10 hours to get up there, and then I had another 4 to get back down to camp, pack up, and hike 3 more hours to get down to camp the last night on the mountain. 17 hours of hiking, and I was done. Oh, then there was another 20k of hiking the next morning to get down to the park gate. I lost about 10 lbs. on the trip!

To train? That's simple. Stay away from JN and actually work out! Just keeping active, lots of cardio, hiking on weekends, eating right.

And prepping for this....Six shots, Anti-malaria pills, typhoid pills, Diamox... After all that, I feel bulletproof....like I could roll around the floor of a crack house amongst the broken viles, and nothing would happen to me.

Good stuff Tabor. Didnt see a JETS flag on the summit though...

I was looking for some sponsors. Max was too cheap to hook me up with some JN gear.

All the tents look the same, how does one find home after the midnight relieving of the bladder?

For some strange reason, I made it through every night without having to get up, despite taking diamox(altitude sickness meds, which makes you want to pee a lot more often!)

uhurupeakwidescreen.jpg

19,340'. Lots of emotions running through me here. Mostly exhaustion. It took 10 hours to get here, and there were another 3 1/2 hours to get back down to camp. Then, pack up and hike 3 more hours. Very long day, but worth it!

Nice job Congrat wheres your JETS hat?

• 1 month later...

FYI, there is a documentary on MTV at 9pm. "Summit on the Summit" is raising awareness for clean drinking water worldwide. But of course it will have some good shots of Mt. Kili and what it took to climb the mountain.

Archived