Great Article on Callahan's Rushing Offense

BigOrangeJetFan

Bill Callahan should be our next OC. Here's part of the reason why:

Evolution of outside zone runs turned NY Jets into anomaly in pass-first league

By Manish Mehta/The Star-Ledger

December 31, 2009, 8:28PM

jones-runjpeg-95298b030553191b_large.jpegAndrew Mills/The Star-LedgerNY Jets running back Thomas Jones bursts through a hole created by the zone blocking of the Jets' linemen. The team's zone scheme has helped the Jets reach the cusp of the playoffs. They fool you on every play, baiting the overzealous, embarrassing the overaggressive and slipping through cracks you never knew existed.

When they do it just right, you look silly.

The science of zone blocking may not be overly complicated, but the latest addition to the Jets playbook has put Rex Ryan

The reason I'd love to see Schottenheimer replaced has everything to do with his shortcomings in the passing game, and practically nothing to do with the Jets running game.

And as the article suggests - Schott had little/nothing to do with building the basis for the running game - which is likely why it works. I agree - the Jets passing attack is 75% garbage. Some of that is obviously on Sanchez but the root dysfunction of it is on the OC. Make him go away.

Sorry Brandon, but I disagree.

Everybody loves this macho ground & pound football team concept, but the fact is that the key ingredient for a great team recipe is a top notch QB and passing game. I think the Jets FO understands this -despite the comments above- and that's why they traded for Sanchez and Braylon Edwards. It's also why they're not one of the ten teams who've already clinched a playoff berth.

The reason I'd love to see Schottenheimer replaced has everything to do with his shortcomings in the passing game, and practically nothing to do with the Jets running game.

Basically agree.

To be a GREAT team, you need balance on offense.

A great running attack makes it easier to throw the ball and a good downfield throwing attack creates space and running lanes.

But when you have a rookie QB, most of whom are prone to turnovers, you start by building with defense and the running game, simply because it gives you a better chance to win with a young QB.

But while you can win the occassional championship with a subpar QB (i.e. Dilfer, Rypien, etc...), I think we both agree that almost all football dynasties (i.e. Pittsburgh, San Francisco, New England, Indy, Denver, etc...) have one thing in common ... a great QB who can throw the ball downfield. The Redskins of the '80's might be the one exception, although you could argue that all their QBs were pretty good in the years they won.

Hopefully, Sanchez develops into the QB we need to be good perennially.

And as the article suggests - Schott had little/nothing to do with building the basis for the running game - which is likely why it works. I agree - the Jets passing attack is 75% garbage. Some of that is obviously on Sanchez but the root dysfunction of it is on the OC. Make him go away.

agreed...watch Sunday night John how you almost never see Ryan anywhere near Schottenheimer but Bill Callahan is like his right hand man-literally

I think Sanchez has the physical ability to be a fantastic West Coast QB. I would love to see us get rid of Shott no matter what but I would also love to see us install a pure form of the West Coast Offense not some Bullsh!t hybrid like Shott runs.

The type of west coast offense where you methodically drive down field with a short accurate passing game, and hard nosed running attack, that teams simply cant stop. This is exactly what Made Joe Montana and his 49er teams of the 80's so great. Great Defense and ball control offense. It would also be perfect for the winds in the meadowlands although we dont know how the winds will effect the new stadium.

I have been calling for WR's in here for years but the problem all along might just have been our RB's lack of pass catching skills which is a huge part of a west coast offense. Its hard for a defense to account for 4 or 5 skill players that can ALL catch the football and be a threat. That includes 2 WR, a TE and 2 RB's. When you look at those 49er teams you think of Jerry Rice and John Taylor but you cant forget Rodger Craig and Tom Rathman. While I think Rice and Taylor may be the best combo ever to play the game I also feel a big part of that was due to having a Dangerous RB and FB that could burn you at any time. Rathman was a beast on 3rd and 5 almost unstoppable. But even besides those 2 RB's the Niners of that era always had RB's that were threats out of the backfield I just cant remember all their names They had some in the beginning of the 80's Tyler and the end Watters.

This is the perfect type of offense for the Jets with thier defense. It will not only be hard to stop but it will also keep our Defense off the field and the opposing defense on the field which will help alot in the 4th quarter. People wonder why our Defense gives up drives in the 4th Quarter well when your on the field all game long you tend to wear out, this is why ball control offenses usually win the game because they also control the clock.

If the Jets can make a few smart moves in the offseason and sign some pass catching RB's to help in the passing game I promise you will see a huge difference in both Sanchez, and our Defense in the 4th Quarter. We dont need to sign superstar backs either we just need to sign guys who can be dangerous out of the back field along with Leon and we will be fine. That, or it could all be about our current OC who refuses to throw the ball to our backs in both screens and check downs. If thats the case and Greene and Jones and Leon can all contribute in the passing game we have only one move to make and thats get rid of Shott.

People wonder why our Defense gives up drives in the 4th Quarter well when your on the field all game long you tend to wear out, this is why ball control offenses usually win the game because they also control the clock.

Jets are #14 in the NFL in TOP. Other than that, I agree with you about a real WCO.

I don't think they need to go out and find backs who can catch, I think they just need to use their backs better. Jones can catch a lot more balls than he's being thrown this year. They could line Brad Smith up as a RB, FB, or flanker along with Jones or Greene, and throw the ball to him. Even Leon was underutilized before he got hurt.

One of the problems with running a pure WCO is that LB's are much faster than they were back in Montana's day, and all those slants he threw would no longer work in today's league. But I'm a huge proponent of passing to set up the run, and using a high percentage passing game. Having your QB only throw on 3rd & long for 3 1/2 quarters, then asking him to win the game with his arm at the end of the game doesn't work, either. The QB needs a chance to get into as groove. That's what the WCO was all about.

If promoting Bill Callahan to OC at the end of the season guarentees we won't lose him to another team, I'm all for it. I'd say "bye bye" Schottenheimer in a heart beat. Bring in a veteran backup and perhaps a new and improved QB coach to help out Mark in the passing game, and we'll be set.

I don't think they need to go out and find backs who can catch, I think they just need to use their backs better. Jones can catch a lot more balls than he's being thrown this year. They could line Brad Smith up as a RB, FB, or flanker along with Jones or Greene, and throw the ball to him. Even Leon was underutilized before he got hurt.

+1

There was just no imagination on using Leon and Smith. With the running game we have, where is the play action? And when we do run play action, can the fake be any worse?

If we are really moving to a zone blocking scheme than Greene has to start over Jones. In a ZBS the running back has to have vision and cut back ability and good instincts. That makes Shonn Greene the right player, not Thomas Jones who is not the best at those things. A lot of things the Jets do on offense just don't seem to fit together, I wonder if its because the offense is jointly controlled by two people with different visions. If you want a ZBS running game you NEED a cut back runner with good vision and instincts and the player on the team who best fits that description is Shonn Greene but Thomas Jones is getting the carries. The whole offense is just one head scratching moment after another.

Jets are #14 in the NFL in TOP. Other than that, I agree with you about a real WCO.

One of the problems with running a pure WCO is that LB's are much faster than they were back in Montana's day, and all those slants he threw would no longer work in today's league. But I'm a huge proponent of passing to set up the run, and using a high percentage passing game. Having your QB only throw on 3rd & long for 3 1/2 quarters, then asking him to win the game with his arm at the end of the game doesn't work, either. The QB needs a chance to get into as groove. That's what the WCO was all about.

Very good points Slats. Your right, we dont seem bad in TOP but I think that number can be a bit skewed because we do have alot of 3 and outs which lead to a tired defense as well. In the games we have lost we have had multiple Turnovers in the second half and our defense seemed to wear out. In those games we lost, the only one I can think of where I totally blame the defense was the first Miami game.

As you said the WCO is a rhythm type offense with quick slants, alot of what the QB does in that offense is based on footwork and thats why I think Sanchez would excel. Its a very high percentage offense that will help him get the ball to his playmakers more than what you described we currently do. I think the offense Sh!tt currently runs is pitiful and predictable and puts a QB at risk because the plays take way too long to develop.

The 2 minute offense he runs is IMO the worst in the NFL by far and Im sorry I just cant blame Sanchez for that. I see alot of talent in every single aspect of Sanchez' game, the question is will he develop the mental aspect which will eventually slow down the game for him ? I think with Sh!tt around the answer is no.

I have seen people say they respect Sh!tts ability and understanding of the game and honestly thats nonsense. I dont think the guy is too bright he has made some bone headed calls this year that leave you shaking your head and he also has had some successive offensive series for entire quarters and halves that make no sense at all. If I were the coach of this football team after the first Buffalo game Im not sure I would have been able to be restrained from literally choking Sh!tt right on the field.

My last point is I would like to see the JETS finally get their franchise QB some real weapons. The colts,saints,chargers,steelers,patriots,eagles,cardinals all seem to get their franchise QB's weapons (and even the Giants try too) its about time the Jets do the same or will continue to have this vanilla offense we have suffered through since the Trading of Keyshawn back in 98 which disrupted our entire chemistry on offense. If Im not mistaken the loss of Ritchie Anderson who was a terror out of the back field also hurt. Barring 2002 our offense is simply not a championship offense like the teams I mentioned above because they get their franchise QB's weapons and the Jets simply do not.

If we are really moving to a zone blocking scheme than Greene has to start over Jones. In a ZBS the running back has to have vision and cut back ability and good instincts. That makes Shonn Greene the right player, not Thomas Jones who is not the best at those things. A lot of things the Jets do on offense just don't seem to fit together, I wonder if its because the offense is jointly controlled by two people with different visions. If you want a ZBS running game you NEED a cut back runner with good vision and instincts and the player on the team who best fits that description is Shonn Greene but Thomas Jones is getting the carries. The whole offense is just one head scratching moment after another.

I agree if we keep Jones next year we need to give Greene the bulk of the carries and transition Jones into more of a back up role to keep his career going a few more years. Im sure Jones wont go for that but if hes smart he could prolong his career by getting 100 - 120 carries and take the back seat to Greene and retire a Jet if hes the true team player he claims to be this only makes sense for a RB who is going to turn 32. Im sure we could make alot of very cool packages with Greene, Jones, Leon and Richardson with a real OC.

If promoting Bill Callahan to OC at the end of the season guarentees we won't lose him to another team, I'm all for it. I'd say "bye bye" Schottenheimer in a heart beat. Bring in a veteran backup and perhaps a new and improved QB coach to help out Mark in the passing game, and we'll be set.

OC isn't as important as Assistant Head Coach if your goal is preventing him from leaving.

I agree if we keep Jones next year we need to give Greene the bulk of the carries and transition Jones into more of a back up role to keep his career going a few more years. Im sure Jones wont go for that but if hes smart he could prolong his career by getting 100 - 120 carries and take the back seat to Greene and retire a Jet if hes the true team player he claims to be this only makes sense for a RB who is going to turn 32. Im sure we could make alot of very cool packages with Greene, Jones, Leon and Richardson with a real OC.

So you agree that increasing the carries for a back that has problems holding the ball is a good idea...

To further elaborate, you'd like to take the ball out of TJ's hands, who is one of the most secure ball carriers in the game today...

You know, because he sucks and everything... He's obviously in the decline. I mean, it's so obvious why the hell hasn't the coaching staff noticed... Those eejits...

So you agree that increasing the carries for a back that has problems holding the ball is a good idea... This is a pretty silly comment Greene is being groomed as the feature back of the future in this system to give up on him because he had 3 fumbles this year is ridiculous.

To further elaborate, you'd like to take the ball out of TJ's hands, who is one of the most secure ball carriers in the game today...

You know, because he sucks and everything... He's obviously in the decline. I mean, it's so obvious why the hell hasn't the coaching staff noticed... Those eejits...

First of all I like Thomas Jones and NEVER said he sucks. I also have no concern about Greene holding onto the football. The fumbles Greene had this year (3) were unfortunate but only one I would actully call "his Fault" The others were the ball getting punched out from behind and more on the scale of damn good plays by the defenders. Greene is not known as a fumbler he held on to the ball very well in college where you get hit pretty hard as well. After that little fumble streak he had hes been fine he probably just needed a little reminder just like most rookies do. Greene gives our Offense an explosive back that alot of secondary players dont want to take on so that means extra yards. if our O-Line stays in tact and Greene becomes the feature back I can see him having a tremendous year next year and I also see him being very important in the playoffs if we get in.

If you feel Thomas Jones should be the starting back, would you extend him after next year at the age of 33 ? Or would you scale back his workload and split the ball between 3 very good backs ? Giving TJ a huge workload at the age of 33 wont be a good idea for him or the team. Will just have to see how it plays out.

+1

There was just no imagination on using Leon and Smith. With the running game we have, where is the play action? And when we do run play action, can the fake be any worse?

this is an excellent point. Our play-action isn't fooling anyone, but thats on Sanchez. We've been spoiled with great play faking QB's over the years. Pennington used to fake out the cameramen on plays, Favre, testaverde, O'brien and especially Boomer esiason were all amazing play-action QB's. A shame we couldn't get a vet behind sanchez to really drill him on play-faking.

this is an excellent point. Our play-action isn't fooling anyone, but thats on Sanchez. We've been spoiled with great play faking QB's over the years. Pennington used to fake out the cameramen on plays, Favre, testaverde, O'brien and especially Boomer esiason were all amazing play-action QB's. A shame we couldn't get a vet behind sanchez to really drill him on play-faking.

I blame the coaches its very easy to be a good playaction QB if the coaches take the time to beat it into your head that the fake is very important. Its like learning to dance practice makes perfect. In the beginning of the season Sanchez seemed to do well with alot of things and he has regressed its almost like he had good habits at USC that our coaching staff ruined. Shott and Cavanaugh need to go

We're not going to be a run first offense in 3 years. There's no run heavy team in the league anymore in the top 10 in offense.

That and I think Ryan's thoughts about Ground and Pound and wildly overstated. The guy doesn't live in the Stone Age, and nothing about our offense really changed when he supposedly dipped his hand in a little more.

The Bengals, Panthers, Jets, and Dolphins are all middle of the pack offenses right now because they don't have strong passing games. Being able to run the ball is nice, but the modern offense lives and dies on passing the ball.

We're not going to be a run first offense in 3 years. There's no run heavy team in the league anymore in the top 10 in offense.

That and I think Ryan's thoughts about Ground and Pound and wildly overstated. The guy doesn't live in the Stone Age, and nothing about our offense really changed when he supposedly dipped his hand in a little more.

The Bengals, Panthers, Jets, and Dolphins are all middle of the pack offenses right now because they don't have strong passing games. Being able to run the ball is nice, but the modern offense lives and dies on passing the ball.

I agree with you. I hope the Jets are featuring a more balanced attack as soon as next year.

Rex knows the importance of shutting down his opponents' passing games, it stands to reason he understands that having a big time passing offense would work in has favor, too. Fans love the sound of this ground & pound rhetoric, but you can safely bet that the team that traded up for Mark Sanchez, and then traded for Braylon Edwards during the season, understands that you have to throw the ball in this league.

Any offensive coaching changes that take place over the offseason have to be 100% about developing Sanchez.

I agree with you. I hope the Jets are featuring a more balanced attack as soon as next year.

Rex knows the importance of shutting down his opponents' passing games, it stands to reason he understands that having a big time passing offense would work in has favor, too. Fans love the sound of this ground & pound rhetoric, but you can safely bet that the team that traded up for Mark Sanchez, and then traded for Braylon Edwards during the season, understands that you have to throw the ball in this league.

Any offensive coaching changes that take place over the offseason have to be 100% about developing Sanchez.

QFT!!!

Archived