Religious Folk Query

Vudu

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't do it DLJ

Who said I was gonna kill myself? LOL

I have the JETS to watch on Sunday Night Football.

I know someone who is contemplating suicide, just thought I'd help the cause.

You need to get your friend help, fast. It has nothing to do with religion, it's just as a human to another human.

As for religion, yes it's a sin, no question on it. It does depend on the religion but I'm absolutely certain every religion prohibits suicide. Which actually makes suicide bombing all the more tragic, these guys have been brainwashed into thinking that what they're doing is noble and they'll be martyrs, when in fact if they studied their scripture they'd realize what they're doing is actually the worst thing for them in terms of religion.

You need to get your friend help, fast. It has nothing to do with religion, it's just as a human to another human.

As for religion, yes it's a sin, no question on it. It does depend on the religion but I'm absolutely certain every religion prohibits suicide. Which actually makes suicide bombing all the more tragic, these guys have been brainwashed into thinking that what they're doing is noble and they'll be martyrs, when in fact if they studied their scripture they'd realize what they're doing is actually the worst thing for them in terms of religion.

This is a good post and great advice.

Getting back on topic, I think God hates it when we kill ourselves, he prefers us killing one another when we don't agree on something.

What is your take on suicide? Is it a sin, as murder is?

Will you burn in hell for offing yourself?

:rim:

Suicide is giving up hope. So the sin of suicide is the sin of hopelessness--- which is a rejection of God.

Of course, I'm sure God makes exceptions for the mentally ill, who don't have the capacity to discern all of this.

What is your take on suicide? Is it a sin, as murder is?

Will you burn in hell for offing yourself?

:rim:

I think this can put "hopelessness" in perspective, that some men, even in the most "hopeless" situations, never give up hope. It is the story of a Polish Catholic priest in Auswitz, who volunteered to take the place of another prisoner condemned to the starvation cell block

HKokL592sGo&feature=related

I think this can put "hopelessness" in perspective, that some men, even in the most "hopeless" situations, never give up hope. It is the story of a Polish Catholic priest in Auswitz, who volunteered to take the place of another prisoner condemned to the starvation cell block

HKokL592sGo&feature=related

Different people go through different situations. I tried telling him it's dumb but he;s so deep in it he doesnt want to listen. I dont think it's my job to coddle him after he made his mind up and after I tried. Just thought I'd get a religious perspective so he isnt surprised when he finds himself getting baked and wonder why.

P.S. Why is a Catholic priest in a Concentration camp? I thought those were only for Jews?

Different people go through different situations. I tried telling him it's dumb but he;s so deep in it he doesnt want to listen. I dont think it's my job to coddle him after he made his mind up and after I tried. Just thought I'd get a religious perspective so he isnt surprised when he finds himself getting baked and wonder why.

I think the purpose of the video was to show that---

People actually survived the unfathomably horrible circumstances of Auswitz, or a Soviet Gulag.

C'mon now, your friend lives in America, it's the 21st century, and he wants to kill himself?

C'mon now.

P.S. Why is a Catholic priest in a Concentration camp? I thought those were only for Jews

The N a *** killed ten million people in the death camps. 6 million were Jews, 4 million weren't.

I think the purpose of the video was to show that---

People actually survived the unfathomably horrible circumstances of Auswitz, or a Soviet Gulag.

C'mon now, your friend lives in America, it's the 21st century, and he wants to kill himself?

C'mon now.

P.S. Why is a Catholic priest in a Concentration camp? I thought those were only for Jews

The N a *** killed ten million people in the death camps. 6 million were Jews, 4 million weren't.

What people did in Aushwitz in the 40's and what my friend is going through are mutually exclusive situations. Comparing the two is pointless. it's apples and oranges. You act like people dont off themselves everyday in America. Check the stats about the rising suicide rates among KOrean Americans in New York City.

P.S. Why is a Catholic priest in a Concentration camp? I thought those were only for Jews?

Hook him up with your hottest friend. Buy him a few video games and talk one of your friends/cousins/uncles into getting him a job. Chances are he gets over his funk. If not he is mentally ill and need to spend some time in Bellevue.

What people did in Aushwitz in the 40's and what my friend is going through are mutually exclusive situations. Comparing the two is pointless. it's apples and oranges. You act like people dont off themselves everyday in America. Check the stats about the rising suicide rates among KOrean Americans in New York City.

Why are Koreans killing themselves in such great numbers?

This is hell. We are in Hell right now :)

I thought this was purgatory, but I guess that makes as much sense.

Lots of homosexuals in there, too. That's where the gays' pink triangle symbol originated.

Check the stats about the rising suicide rates among KOrean Americans in New York City.

Crazy!

Bands like the Who when I'm drunk is the only thing thats kept me sane. Because this is a ****ed up world and it's ruled by Satan. You better get that through your head. And the only thing that gets your through this world is by staying connected to God, who's OUT THERE!

And you keep that connection through prayer. You can find out now or wait until your in a ditch flies buzzing around your eyes.

]I thought this was purgatory, but I guess that makes as much sense.

Lots of homosexuals in there, too. That's where the gays' pink triangle symbol originated.

Crazy!

Either way. lol.

Bands like the Who when I'm drunk is the only thing thats kept me sane. Because this is a ****ed up world and it's ruled by Satan. You better get that through your head. And the only thing that gets your through this world is by staying connected to God, who's OUT THERE!

And you keep that connection through prayer. You can find out now or wait until your in a ditch flies buzzing around your eyes.

QFT. Half the stuff that goes on in the name of God has Satan in the background laughing his ass off.

And the only thing that gets your through this world is by staying connected to God, who's OUT THERE!

If there is a God -and I'm on the fence about it- I suspect that God is in here rather than out there.

Yes, suicide is a sin, it's a human playing the role of God.

I'm not very religious but regardless suicide is a terrible act. Pretty cowardly as well altough it depends on the circumstances. Life can always get better, ALWAYS! He should never give up hope, let him know that.

If that doesnt work, try having sex with him.

OK, I'll be serious now, but I only lasted in Catholic School for two years for a variety of reasons, one of them being how mortified my Mom always got getting phone calls about my wry faces and 'impertinent questions'. The story I hated the most (and yes, as far as I'm concerned, a lot of things I was shoveled were stories) was the story of Judas. It really insulted me and made me angry that here's this guy who was so distraught and full of remorse for selling someone down the river without really knowing the consequences that when he kills himself in fit a of despondency, God doesn't forgive him. Are you kidding me?! What a load of crap, and my seven year old opinion did not go over well to say the least.

I don't condone suicide in any way, but sometimes people are suffering so terribly emotionally and physically that not every situation is as cut and dried as people like to get on their high horses about. I was so full of guilt when my childhood friend blew her head off some years ago, that I could have done something, if only I'd known, blah blah blah etc., but I really think when people are that determined, they make sure to go out in as foolproof a way as possible. It left a lot of wreckage, but she also wasn't surrounded with the most sympathetic people in the world when it happened, either. I was in another state and had no idea she had been threatening such a thing. Blatantly. In fact, she was very happy and peaceful on the phone the last time I talked to her, apparently because she was secure in her decision to die. She came up to visit about a month before that and purposely avoided me.

Anyway, I don't know you mean, DLJ, when you say you know someone who is 'contemplating suicide'. Doesn't sound like you're running to call the cops to try to prevent it. In fact, you don't sound concerned at all - which tragically enough is the mistake people often make. At first it sounded like you were just asking a hypothetical question.

Youre his friend. Try to stop him.

Wouldnt you want your friends to intervene if you were contemplating the same?

I don't condone suicide in any way, but sometimes people are suffering so terribly emotionally and physically that not every situation is as cut and dried as people like to get on their high horses about.

Pot meet kettle. ;)

I don't think anybody here was passing judgement on anyone who commits suicide. Dark Lady asked a sincere question and I gave a sincere answer.

Of course sometimes people are in terrible emotional and physical pain. Thanks for stating the obvious.

Touchy subject for me. I had a brother and a very good friend commit suicide. Now I was only 9 when my brother died it but was 25 when my friend died. It was soon after I moved to Houston and the fact was he was a very depressed soul who did get help but it wasn't enough. WE tried to talk to him a cpouple of years earlier and for awhile he was better and even met someone he was very happy with. But the releationship soured apparantly and a week later he was dead. Goold Luck to you DLJ and your friend but there is only so much you can do. But for the love of God do all you can to help. I still regret not being there for my friend in the end.

Archived