Belichick to act as OC in 2005 ?

GimmeShelter

Will Tom Brady get even more freedom to change calls? Sure, Staff has complete trust in him.

What seperated Charlie from alot of OC's was his in game playcalling. He had such a great feel for the game and was always in attack mode. His timing was almost always perfect.

It's a ready made offense. The only area which will be an issue is in game playcalling in crucial situations.

That is it in a nutshell. Great job YJF. Could you please start rubbing off, and by rubbing off I mean influencing not that dirty thing Max and TS do, on these other yokes.

There is FEAR in Pats-land today. Don't think otherwise. Your boy Scarnecchia just got sent to the bullpen Can Mangina be far behind?

Scar was never given the OC job, Mangini was (DC job). Scar doesn't want the OC job - as reported in the Globe a while ago. BB wants his underlings to have another year under their belt before he choses which one to promote. He has a relatively young staff.

Scar was never given the OC job, Mangini was. Scar doesn't want the OC job - as reported in the Globe a while ago. BB wants his underlings to have another year under their belt before he choses which one to promote. He has a relatively young staff.

And Scar needs to stray with the OL. If ever anyone on that staff deserved 1 million a season, it would be him.

PFSIKH and YJF - It is not the design of the offense or the design of the plays that will hurt the Pats this year. It is the playcalling and the execution. To an average fan it looks easy to just call plays. Run, Pass, screen, run again but it is far from easy to call plays. You need to first attack a defenses tendencies but without giving into your own tendencies. It is a very complicated chess match that you need to study very, very hard for. Especially to run the pats spread style offense that is totally predicated on creating the right mismatches to take advantage of the defenses tendencies andd personel.

As far as execution goes it is the most important part of calling a play. You can call a perfect game as a OC but if the players don't execute it doesn't matter. This is what these OC's work so hard at. Making sure the offense can execute a play and this is why the Pats will take a step back this year. The only question is how big of a step.

I hear what you are saying rsherry and I am not saying the loss of both Crennel and Weis will not have some effect. It obviously will.

However, the process where they generate a gameplan will not change. They have a system and it works. They will have their group meetings and come to a consensus of what to attack, just like they have down the past few years. Where there will be a dropoff is the experience and there is no way to replace that.

PFSIKH and YJF - It is not the design of the offense or the design of the plays that will hurt the Pats this year. It is the playcalling and the execution. To an average fan it looks easy to just call plays. Run, Pass, screen, run again but it is far from easy to call plays. You need to first attack a defenses tendencies but without giving into your own tendencies. It is a very complicated chess match that you need to study very, very hard for. Especially to run the pats spread style offense that is totally predicated on creating the right mismatches to take advantage of the defenses tendencies andd personel.

As far as execution goes it is the most important part of calling a play. You can call a perfect game as a OC but if the players don't execute it doesn't matter. This is what these OC's work so hard at. Making sure the offense can execute a play and this is why the Pats will take a step back this year. The only question is how big of a step.

Bingo. The OC gig is a 72-hour a week job, and it's a full-time job in-game as well. If Belichick is going to have to baby-sit Mangini, and then turn around and try to wing it in terms of calling plays, the Pats are doomed. Any adequate DC will eat his ass.

I hear what you are saying rsherry and I am not saying the loss of both Crennel and Weis will not have some effect. It obviously will.

However, the process where they generate a gameplan will not change. They have a system and it works. They will have their group meetings and come to a consensus of what to attack, just like they have down the past few years. Where there will be a dropoff is the experience and there is no way to replace that.

I know that that stuff won't change. But, OC is still a 72 hour a week job. Let me ask you this, who is going to be babysitting all the new guys on the roster to make sure they know what the hell they are doing on the field and that they can execute it properly as well as babysitting magnini when BB is trying to figure out the best way to attack a team?

Any ADEQUATE DC???? Surely you jest....because, well, that is what you do best, jest.

Say what you will, woman. The Pats are hurting is Belichick is calling plays. It would be like you trying to teach JonEJet about personal hygiene. :lol:

I know that that stuff won't change. But, OC is still a 72 hour a week job. Let me ask you this, who is going to be babysitting all the new guys on the roster to make sure they know what the hell they are doing on the field and that they can execute it properly as well as babysitting magnini when BB is trying to figure out the best way to attack a team?

Good question. Brady and company. Maybe you do not realize, but it is as close to the purest form of team effort as you can get.

IMHO if Belichick did not think Mangini was ready, he would have given him a 500K offer and force his move to Cleveland or Miami. A Fo notoriusly be known for cheapness meets the offer from a rival team.

Maybe it is back to the IBBWT, but he has done a great jobu of navigating these prat falls.

Good question. Brady and company. Maybe you do not realize, but it is as close to the purest form of team effort as you can get.

IMHO if Belichick did not think Mangini was ready, he would have given him a 500K offer and force his move to Cleveland or Miami. A Fo notoriusly be known for cheapness meets the offer from a rival team.

Maybe it is back to the IBBWT, but he has done a great jobu of navigating these prat falls.

You have every right to be confident of BB. However, there will be a dropoff in how Magnini calls games no matter what. He may have been learning the defense somewhat under Romeo last year but it seems to me he was more coaching players like Troy Brown to play corner. So then the question is who is teaching these JAGs to play corner?

I know BB has confidence in Magnini but I think that is more about keeping a guys who knows the system than a guy who can run a defense. No one knows how he will call a game yet and odds are he will have some big pitfalls. Teddy Cotrell looked awfully good calling Wade Phillips defense but look at what happened when Phillips wasn't around. By BB taking OC duties he will not be around often enough to go through everything. Also, don't forget Romeo had a lot more experience coming to the table than Magnini does.

I also think you and other Pat fans overrate the "we are the best team thing". Actually I think it is straight up bullsh*t altogether. It is not about swagger or playing as a team. It is about execution and mismatches and that is it.

Belichick, served as his own offensive coordinator for three seasons with the Browns (1991-93). Cleveland went 20-28 in that time.

Oh Yeah, The Bernie Kosar days. Belichick flipped his wig when Kosar broke rank and called his own play in the huddle. It ended up being a long td pass to Michael Jackson(not the child fondler).

Kosar was cut like two days later.

The loss of Charlie will effect The Pats more than Romeo. Everyone pretty much agrees on that.

BB has to be careful not to spread himself too thin. He's gotta trust his assistants and his offensive assistants will come up with the game plan.

From there, It's going to be BB calling the plays from the playcall sheet. That could be an issue but he does have alot of talent on offense to make it work.

Archived