Global Warming My Ass

New York Mick

So, if you "misplace data" that makes CO2's physical properties change?

This is great news. We should be able to go to Glacier Nat'l park and shout "misplaced data!" and the glaciers (80% gone) should magically reappear.

My son has an ear infection. I think I'm going to stop the antibiotics and just shout "missing data" in his ear. Then the bacteria won't be real.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Want to see a guy who's cashing in on global warming? Try Pat Broe. He bought an old godforsaken Canadian port for $7, and with all the Arctic ice melting he's going to be right on the main shipping lanes in a few years and the port will be worth $100 million a year!

The Big Melt

As Polar Ice Turns to Water, Dreams of Treasure Abound

By CLIFFORD KRAUSS, STEVEN LEE MYERS, ANDREW C. REVKIN and SIMON ROMERO

Published: October 10, 2005

CHURCHILL, Manitoba - It seems harsh to say that bad news for polar bears is good for Pat Broe. Mr. Broe, a Denver entrepreneur, is no more to blame than anyone else for a meltdown at the top of the world that threatens Arctic mammals and ancient traditions and lends credibility to dark visions of global warming.

Still, the newest study of the Arctic ice cap - finding that it faded this summer to its smallest size ever recorded - is beginning to make Mr. Broe look like a visionary for buying this derelict Hudson Bay port from the Canadian government in 1997. Especially at the price he paid: about $7.

By Mr. Broe's calculations, Churchill could bring in as much as $100 million a year as a port on Arctic shipping lanes shorter by thousands of miles than routes to the south, and traffic would only increase as the retreat of ice in the region clears the way for a longer shipping season.

With major companies and nations large and small adopting similar logic, the Arctic is undergoing nothing less than a great rush for virgin territory and natural resources worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Even before the polar ice began shrinking more each summer, countries were pushing into the frigid Barents Sea, lured by undersea oil and gas fields and emboldened by advances in technology. But now, as thinning ice stands to simplify construction of drilling rigs, exploration is likely to move even farther north.

Last year, scientists found tantalizing hints of oil in seabed samples just 200 miles from the North Pole. All told, one quarter of the world's undiscovered oil and gas resources lies in the Arctic, according to the United States Geological Survey.

The polar thaw is also starting to unlock other treasures: lucrative shipping routes, perhaps even the storied Northwest Passage; new cruise ship destinations; and important commercial fisheries.

"It's the positive side of global warming, if there is a positive side," said Ron Lemieux, the transportation minister of Manitoba, whose provincial government is investing millions in Churchill.

If the melting continues, as many Arctic experts expect, the mass of floating ice that has crowned the planet for millions of years may largely disappear for entire summers this century. Instead of the white wilderness that killed explorers and defeated navigators for centuries, the world would have a blue pole on top, a seasonally open sea nearly five times the size of the Mediterranean.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/10/science/10arctic.html

Companies are investing hundreds of millions of dollars to take advantage of the North Pole meltdown, shipping companies are preparing new routes that are now covered with ice but won't be soon, all because of a global warming trend that people are hollering isn't really happening. Sure.

Thats because the majority of Americans are easily duped.

I mean look who they put in the White House. and thats all I am going to say:p

Yeah, but thank the god of your choice that Dubya's gone now.

I don't understand why this is a political issue. I'd think the people who want to crush the middle east would be pretty excited to do everything they could to put them out of business, rather than defend to the death their right to create the largest carbon footprint they possibly can.

Wouldn't it be good for America to get off of foreign oil?

Global warming could be the new WMD's! It doesn't matter if it doesn't exist as long as it helps us attain our goals - which should be getting the technology together in America for a viable renewable energy source.

"Oooh Obama is the President. Our country has officially gone to the dogs"

Bitch moan bitch moan. No amount of bitching and moaning will change the fact that a gross majority of Americans voted him in office. "Duped"? Really? Get over it already.

Bitch moan bitch moan. No amount of bitching and moaning will change the fact that a gross majority of Americans voted him in office. "Duped"? Really? Get over it already.

This is why the supreme court has just determined that corporations as people, can donate what they want to candidates running for office. The elites are scared sh!tless that the po' folk can raise a gazillion dollars one $10 donation at a time to elect a Barack, so now with this new corporation rule, they don't have to worry about that so much anymore.

The same Majority who got duped by Bush -- gotcha

The same Majority who got duped by Bush -- gotcha

What did you really expect after 1 year? Did you expect sweeping changes? Bush had 8 years in office and what did he accomplish in that time? Two wars and the worst economic situation the country has been in in sometime. A situation our current President has the arduous task of mending.

Don't confuse me with one of these Obama fanatics, I am not. Im not that into Politics. The bottom line is you can't judge him after such a short period. I can't help but think he's soooo heavily scrutinized not because of how convincingly he won the election or promises made, but because at the end of the day, behind his likability, he's Black.

What did you really expect after 1 year? Did you expect sweeping changes? Bush had 8 years in office and what did he accomplish in that time? Two wars and the worst economic situation the country has been in in sometime. A situation our current President has the arduous task of mending.

Don't confuse me with one of these Obama fanatics, I am not. Im not that into Politics. The bottom line is you can't judge him after such a short period. I can't help but think he's soooo heavily scrutinized not because of how convincingly he won the election or promises made, but because at the end of the day, behind his likability, he's Black.

If he was pink with Yellow polka dots I could care less -- color means nothing to me -- I felt from day 1 he was ill prepared to take over this country and everyday I hope I am wrong -- we shall see in time but for now I will just stir the pott -- I rarely do it and I feel real ballsy today. :P

If he was pink with Yellow polka dots I could care less -- color means nothing to me -- I felt from day 1 he was ill prepared to take over this country and everyday I hope I am wrong -- we shall see in time but for now I will just stir the pott -- I rarely do it and I feel real ballsy today. :P

Sounds like you need a swift kick to them.

What's the matter Slow, Mrs Slow spurned your V-Day affections last night? Im all ears if you need to let out any pent up frustration. :lol:

It's no longer called Global Warming. It's now referred to as Climate Change. You know, to suit the agenda. Call it "re-branding." Similar to Gatorade calling itself "G."

Personally, I'm slightly insulted by it. The liberal loonies work under the assumption that the American Public are retarded sheep, generally speaking. I can't wait 'till the next election to prove them wrong. Massachusetts already did - never been prouder to be a m@ssh*ole.

Sounds like you need a swift kick to them.

What's the matter Slow, Mrs Slow spurned your V-Day affections last night? Im all ears if you need to let out any pent up frustration. :lol:

NO I had to work all weekend -- I will make up for lost time soon.

It's no longer called Global Warming. It's now referred to as Climate Change. You know, to suit the agenda. Call it "re-branding." Similar to Gatorade calling itself "G."

Personally, I'm slightly insulted by it. The liberal loonies work under the assumption that the American Public are retarded sheep, generally speaking. I can't wait 'till the next election to prove them wrong. Massachusetts already did - never been prouder to be a m@ssh*ole.

"Climate Change" was coined by conservatives, admitting that something's going on, but willing to admit what it is.

Everyone works under the impression that the American Public are retarded sheep, and they're right. Fox News is making a fortune off the concept.

"Climate Change" was coined by conservatives, admitting that something's going on, but willing to admit what it is.

Everyone works under the impression that the American Public are retarded sheep, and they're right. Fox News is making a fortune off the concept.

Yet another thing Garb was wrong about. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Ah, says the ABS, CBS, CNN, and a plethora of other outlets, disciple :)

I believe the term was coined a very long time ago, but made more prominent in an effort to stop the liberal loony scare tactics "Global Warming" -ooooo, scary! Climate Change - not so scary.

Ah, says the ABS, CBS, CNN, and a plethora of other outlets, disciple :)

I believe the term was coined a very long time ago, but made more prominent in an effort to stop the liberal loony scare tactics "Global Warming" -ooooo, scary! Climate Change - not so scary.

See, this is an attitude that I don't get.

The real questions we should be asking are:

1. Is it good to have clean air to breathe?

2. Is it good to have clean water to drink?

3. Do you want to break our dependence on foreign oil?

If your answer to all three of those questions is "yes" it's pretty clear where you should stand on this issue.

See, this is an attitude that I don't get.

The real questions we should be asking are:

1. Is it good to have clean air to breathe?

2. Is it good to have clean water to drink?

If your answer to all three of those questions is "yes" it's pretty clear where you should stand on this issue.

The sky is falling Kleck! Feed into the machine!!!

The sky is falling Kleck! Feed into the machine!!!

Did I come off as remotely panicky? Forget all the BS and terminology and whose fault it is or isn't that the world is getting warmer or not.

Answer those three questions honestly Garb. Why would it be a bad thing to have clean air, clean water and not have to depend on unstable people for our primary source of energy?

If you think answer no to any of them you're a liar.

Did I come off as remotely panicky? Forget all the BS and terminology and whose fault it is or isn't that the world is getting warmer or not.

Answer those three questions honestly Garb. Why would it be a bad thing to have clean air, clean water and not have to depend on unstable people for our primary source of energy?

If you think answer no to any of them you're a liar.

Whatever, Kleck. The air I breathe is good. The water I drink is good. I drive a Honda. Life is peachy for me. I am sorry it's not the same for you.

Trends, people. If GM or Chrysler stock has a great week, how many of you are going to sell your portfolio and jump in on the new auto boom?

Yes, in some parts of North America, it's cold -- this year. Are lakes Chad/Tanganyka/Victoria refilling? Is Greenland getting it's snow back? Are the Inuits in Alaska saying "Call everything off, folks..looks like we're fine now."?

We shouldn't try to solve a global issue by what we see in our back yard.

Whatever, Kleck. The air I breathe is good. The water I drink is good. I drive a Honda. Life is peachy for me. I am sorry it's not the same for you.

Why does this cause you so much pain?

You still didn't answer my questions. This is no different than the way you avoided answering what immediate benefit the Pats got in the Richard Seymour trade.

You spun and desperately tried to change the subject but you never answered the question.

These are simple, yes or no questions.

I didn't ask you about the quality of the air or water you currently have access to and I couldn't care less what you drive.

The questions were:

1. Is it good to have clean air?

2. Is it good to have clean water?

I would appreciate a post with a 1, 2 and 3 with either a "yes" or a "no" next to each number.

Anything else is not answering the questions.

Trends, people. If GM or Chrysler stock has a great week, how many of you are going to sell your portfolio and jump in on the new auto boom?

Yes, in some parts of North America, it's cold -- this year. Are lakes Chad/Tanganyka/Victoria refilling? Is Greenland getting it's snow back? Are the Inuits in Alaska saying "Call everything off, folks..looks like we're fine now."?

We shouldn't try to solve a global issue by what we see in our back yard.

I agree with you, Jerry. But how much of what is going on is a direct result of human consumption and manipulation? I know - that's a dinosaur of a question that's been going on since the ice age. ;)

Whatever, Kleck. The air I breathe from JGBs after a Raisin Bread Festival is good. The water I drink from The Charles River 'Citizens for Obama' free public fountain is good. I drive a Chevy LowRider. Life is peachy for me. I am sorry it's not the same for you.

Wow, too much info. But at least your wheels are cool

3499_1.jpg

Why does this cause you so much pain?

You still didn't answer my questions. This is no different than the way you avoided answering what immediate benefit the Pats got the Richard Seymour trade.

You spun and desperately tried to change the subject but you never answered the question.

These are simple, yes or no questions.

I didn't ask you about the quality of the air or water you currently have access to and I couldn't care less what you drive.

The questions were:

1. Is it good to have clean air?

2. Is it good to have clean water?

I would appreciate a post with a 1, 2 and 3 with either a "yes" or a "no" next to each number.

Anything else is not answering the questions.

I think you enjoy arguing for arguments sake.

Of course I like those things - but the questions are designed to work under the premise that there is a huge problem and I am not convinced there is.

I started editing posts to get rid of the US political stuff. But I am not going to spend my afternoon doing that.

Guys leave the president out of this, no reason for everyone to fight. If you want to talk about the science behind the global warming debate go for it. But leave the partisan b.s. behind.

Thanks.

I started editing posts to get rid of the US political stuff. But I am not going to spend my afternoon doing that.

Guys leave the president out of this, no reason for everyone to fight. If you want to talk about the science behind the global warming debate go for it. But leave the partisan b.s. behind.

Thanks.

C'mon football season's over and Garb's getting unnecessarily worked up and avoiding questions like she does when she debates about the Pats.

This is just fun for me.

C'mon football season's over and Garb's getting unnecessarily worked up and avoiding questions like she does when she debates about the Pats.

This is just fun for me.

come on now.

Its not a hard thing to keep away from political posts/comments.

Damn, a child can do it.

I agree with you, Jerry. But how much of what is going on is a direct result of human consumption and manipulation? I know - that's a dinosaur of a question that's been going on since the ice age. ;)

Have you thought much about the nature of the question itself? Do you believe that those who crafted the question want anyone to actually find an answer to it? Are those people offering a battery of tests to determine it, or are they just repeating the question ad nauseum?

I like the science I see...and tonight I'll research the article above a little bit. I suspect he's being made a scapegoat. It probably won't take long to determine this one guy isn't really the hub of all the research being done in the world on this subject.

come on now.

Its not a hard thing to keep away from political posts/comments.

Damn, a child can do it.

The funny thing is, I'm not getting political. I just asked Garb a question and she assumed my intent was something that it wasn't and that made me laugh.

She still hasn't given me a direct answer to what immediate benefit the Pats got from the Richard Seymour trade. Come to think of it, no Chowd has.

Archived