why did it take this long for schotty to wake up?

johnny green balls

why didn't he call plays like the last couple weeks all season? i think Rex took him aside and gave him some "suggestions."

nevertheless, gotta give the man credit.

Rex: "Hey, Brian, this is Bill Callahan. Bill owns an electrical shed. Why don't you two have a chit-chat, won't you?"

I think some of you are under the impression he called a complete different game today. I don't think thats the case at all. They just ran the plays very effectivly IMO and Sanchez made some damn fine throws. Ya's needn't worry about your future at QB now IMO.

AGREED. Majority of fans hate on him just a little bit too much.

I think some of you are under the impression he called a complete different game today. I don't think thats the case at all. They just ran the plays very effectivly IMO and Sanchez made some damn fine throws. Ya's needn't worry about your future at QB now IMO.

Yes and no.

Schottie called a very good game today. It's as if he studied his own tendencies, and really changed things up without getting crazy with the high risk calls. All that running to the left had me thinking of Micky's anti-southpaw strategy in Rocky.

But yeah, the real difference was the execution.

Not sure really but I have an opinion/theory:

Mark Sanchez has been the QB of the NYJ for 16 weeks prior to last week. In those 16 weeks he experienced the high of starting 3-0 and beating the Texans, Pats, and Titans. He experienced the lows that followed in the midseason, when his team went 1-6 and a span in which he was averaging over 2 interceptions a game. Then, we got to TB and Carolina, and something started to "click". Rex and Schotty knew that they could win those games if they put the shackles on Sanchez (he didnt even play vs Tampa), eliminated his TO's, and put the burden on their running game and defense. Since that loss to the Patriots, the Jets have won 5 of their last 6 games, including todays playoff game, using that basic strategy.

Now, with this rookie, defensive minded head coach, and this rookie, pas-happy QB from USC, the team has begun to come together and develop an identity. The honeymoon period where we were 3-0 is over, they made it through the inevitable "first fight" when we went 1-6, and now we're here. Everyone knows each other, and knows their own and each other's role in this "new marriage". After a few mistake free games from Sanchez and the offense, the shackles start to be removed, and the playbook begins to open in a way everyone is comfortable with. Which leaves us, right where we are now, entering into rd 2 of the playoffs with, for the first time in a REEEALL long time, a very real and very true team identity. Everyone...Front Office, to coaches, to players, is on the same page in every aspect... We are coming together at the exact right time and its got me pumped for the rest of the playoffs!!!

why didn't he call plays like the last couple weeks all season? i think Rex took him aside and gave him some "suggestions."

I think its more about fans being impatient and wanting everything here and now then it is about an offensive coordinator trying to break in a rookie.

Yes and no.

Schottie called a very good game today. It's as if he studied his own tendencies, and really changed things up without getting crazy with the high risk calls. All that running to the left had me thinking of Micky's anti-southpaw strategy in Rocky.

But yeah, the real difference was the execution.

What I think Shotty has done was shorten the development of the plays notice hes taking more of a real WCO approach quick slants so Sanchez does not have to wait for plays to develop 20 yards down field. By running quick plays and using play action it keeps Sanchez from having to think too much and he seems to be handling it very well. If Shotty did this all year we would have 12 wins and Im not kidding. Something must have been discussed and implemented because this is NOT the same offense Shotty has been running all year, not by a longshot.

To be fair, I didnt notice any new plays called last night. Just better execution.

Lets keep in mind Rex did not have to keep him on staff when he became HC.

If you believe in Rex the default belief should be that Schott is good.

Callahan has coached this O-line into an elite unit.

I say we are lucky if they can keep both in NY for as long as possible.

How many times this year have you seen those quicks slants to cotch/bray that got first downs? Not neraly enough. How many times did you see those plays called to take advatage of a dustin keller? Not nearly enough. How many 20 yards downfield plays with cotch and brays routes within 5 feet of each other? Getting rid of those were nice. Shonee green getting runs? Really? Nice. Did you see sanchez making high risk over the middle? No? Nice.

People are underestimating the influence of Rex on the offense over the second half of the season. The playbook has hundreds of plays in it but teams choose around 30 to focus on for each opponent and practice those through the week and its mostly those roughly 30 plays that get picked from during the game. These plays are picked during the offensive meetings early in the week which Rex only began attending to stop the epic losing streak.

My point is that now that he goes to the meetings Rex can veto the stupid plays. The most likely reason the play calling is getting better is Rex is culling the loser plays out during the offensive coaches meetings. Have you noticed how lately the Jets are calling fewer pass plays that send 2 receivers to the same area?

People are underestimating the influence of Rex on the offense over the second half of the season. The playbook has hundreds of plays in it but teams choose around 30 to focus on for each opponent and practice those through the week and its mostly those roughly 30 plays that get picked from during the game. These plays are picked during the offensive meetings early in the week which Rex only began attending to stop the epic losing streak.

My point is that now that he goes to the meetings Rex can veto the stupid plays. The most likely reason the play calling is getting better is Rex is culling the loser plays out during the offensive coaches meetings. Have you noticed how lately the Jets are calling fewer pass plays that send 2 receivers to the same area?

Thankfully yes. That was awful.

exactly. 6 weeks ago there were several aricles and pressers where Rex said He decided to take a 'more active role' in the offense. I think he basically said "we have to run the table and only way is D and field position and zip turnovers. Go a tad more conservative ,or I will sit on you"

He still sucks. Sanchez and Greene playing lights-out and the blocking up front made the playcalling seem good. I'll grant that it was a good game for him and better than the lousy games he's called most of this season and others. Still the weak link on the coaching staff. If he's turned a corner, that's great news for all of us. But these eyes have seen good offensive games under this OC in the past and most here were appropriately killing him most of this season.

What we don't know is if this was the full gameplan or if it changed when it appeared that we had this one in the bag as long as we didn't turn it over. Most likely the former I'd think.

exactly. 6 weeks ago there were several aricles and pressers where Rex said He decided to take a 'more active role' in the offense. I think he basically said "we have to run the table and only way is D and field position and zip turnovers. Go a tad more conservative ,or I will sit on you"

SJ - did you watch Ryan's press conference after the game? he said schott "called the game like a head coach". i think schott had total autonomy yesterday when calling the game. even the decision to pack it in w/2 minutes left in the 1st half.

schott called a great game. he used creative formations to try to keep 7 guys in the box, and he set up the counter run/passes by pounding the ball out of the big formation.

the only criticism i have is that i think the jets "shut it down" a little early on O (about 11 minutes to go) and if cincy had a decent kicker would have had to scramble to win.

I think alot of the credit goes to Rex Ryan for finally behaving like a head coach instead of as a defensive coordinator who also happened to be coach. The offense has been far better since Ryan publicly reeled Schottenheimer in. If not for special teams they would have won every game since that move. This was the first time in 4 years that I can recall the Jets breaking their tendencies so much in one game. From throwing on first down, to rolling out the QB, to going left, and using all the misdirection plays it was a big break from usual. You have a guy as a coach that is a defensive genius. Having him give some input as to what he thinks will and wont work against a defense is just smart coaching. I think that is what is going on now. I think they plan these things out much better.

He still sucks. Sanchez and Greene playing lights-out and the blocking up front made the playcalling seem good. I'll grant that it was a good game for him and better than the lousy games he's called most of this season and others. Still the weak link on the coaching staff. If he's turned a corner, that's great news for all of us. But these eyes have seen good offensive games under this OC in the past and most here were appropriately killing him most of this season.

What we don't know is if this was the full gameplan or if it changed when it appeared that we had this one in the bag as long as we didn't turn it over. Most likely the former I'd think.

There you go again? Mr Kettle

Please submit your resume as OC asap

SJ - did you watch Ryan's press conference after the game? he said schott "called the game like a head coach". i think schott had total autonomy yesterday when calling the game. even the decision to pack it in w/2 minutes left in the 1st half.

schott called a great game. he used creative formations to try to keep 7 guys in the box, and he set up the counter run/passes by pounding the ball out of the big formation.

the only criticism i have is that i think the jets "shut it down" a little early on O (about 11 minutes to go) and if cincy had a decent kicker would have had to scramble to win.

missing my point. I agree he had total autonomy, BUT, 6 weeks ago Rex re-directed his philosophyt a bit to be more conservative. To schotts credit he has done that and done it well. But give Rex credit for realizing we had to reel it back a tad.

Shotty is an idiot. Watch what somebody else does with this offense next year. I have been screaming for that play action roll out pass to Keller all year. That play worked fine with slow a$$es Pennington and Baker. Anybody who watched Sanchez at USC last year saw how good he was at rolling out and throwing on the run. And Keller is certainly a heck of a lot faster and athletic than Baker. How many times did they run that play the entire season? 3 or 4? Look what it did yesterday against a very good defense.

I wish Shotty all the luck in the world in getting a HC job.

There you go again? Mr Kettle

Please submit your resume as OC asap

Did you seriously join this website solely to find fault with those of us who have been here for years?

I take it back. Brian Schottenheimer is the best OC in the NFL and we're lucky to have him. We've been lucky to have him since 2006. Our offense has been phenomenal since he got the job back then and we have been feared by all defenses unlucky enough to have to face us. It is this very offense that has propelled us to elite heights this year and prior. The solid game yesterday had little to do with more zone blocking courtesy of Callahan, little to do with Greene beasting his way through and speeding away, and little to do with Sanchez hitting his receivers in the chest or hands 14 of 15 times. It was all the genius that is Brian Schottenheimer. How stupid of me.

Going forward, I think I'll take your rules into account and recommend they be made permanent board rules:

1) If you are not an NFL player with a track record of doing better, you must praise all NFL players.

2) If you are not an NFL coordinator with a track record for doing better, you must praise all NFL coordinators.

3) If you are not an NFL head coach with a track record of doing better, you must praise all NFL head coaches.

4) If you are not an NFL GM with a track record of doing better, you must praise all NFL GM's.

5) If you fail to comply, we will employ donboyO to police your thoughts and enumerate what he feels your personal shortcomings are.

What a fun board you would have us posting on.

He called a decent game yesterday and a very good game compared to his history. Meanwhile if Sanchez isn't hitting like every 3rd down pass right on the money I doubt the same praise would be there today.

The playcalling was good enough to win today, and I'm happy with that.

He's been fine....it you and many other Jets fans that have been sleeping. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone

Shotty is an idiot. Watch what somebody else does with this offense next year. I have been screaming for that play action roll out pass to Keller all year. That play worked fine with slow a$$es Pennington and Baker. Anybody who watched Sanchez at USC last year saw how good he was at rolling out and throwing on the run. And Keller is certainly a heck of a lot faster and athletic than Baker. How many times did they run that play the entire season? 3 or 4? Look what it did yesterday against a very good defense.

I wish Shotty all the luck in the world in getting a HC job.

+1

How many times this year have you seen those quicks slants to cotch/bray that got first downs? Not neraly enough. How many times did you see those plays called to take advatage of a dustin keller? Not nearly enough. How many 20 yards downfield plays with cotch and brays routes within 5 feet of each other? Getting rid of those were nice. Shonee green getting runs? Really? Nice. Did you see sanchez making high risk over the middle? No? Nice.

This. He called a different game then he's ever called before...no doubt about it.

The execution was there, so it all worked out, but he called a different game.

The only knocks I have were the wildcat on 3rd and longs and the conservative nature toward the end of the half and playing for a FG to start the half. We had a groove going, he should have shown more confidence in Sanchez there...but eh, if you want to win with a strong running and solid D, he called it a perfect game.

basically agree on most here, but,,,

I think Rexs 're-direction' is playing a huge part here. Question is , is Schott truly happy with it? and is yes, does schott see the error of his ways?

I have no desire to go back to stupid playcalling . Although that 2nd and 5 from 6 yd line slant pass was IDIOTIC. Too risky, when a FG there gives us a 2 score lead. Vintage Schott.

Are you serious? This is a football message board. What do you expect chocolate ship cookie recipes?

Sorry i find it disturbing when someone calls out the OC after a great game plan

Sorry to say i do not want a New OC and a new playbook for entire offense to

digest, specially Mark

Sorry i enjoy my team, this should be a day for happiness not dumping on Schott

Do you also hope we sign Jeff garcia???

This is a brand new offense to its key component (Sanchez) Give it a rest already

This is serious from me.

I hope we sign Chad in off-season as our backup. He knows he will never start again so no 'QB controversy'. Chad would be good mentor and also he knows Schotts playbook. No brainer. Clemens has to go politically also.

Sorry i find it disturbing when someone calls out the OC after a great game plan

digest, specially Mark

Last thing we want is new playbook. I assume Sperm is asking for Callahan and same playbook. If not, HUGE mistake for 2010.

How many times this year have you seen those quick slants to cotch/bray that got first downs? How many 20 yards downfield plays with cotch and brays routes within 5 feet of each other?.

+1

There is a chance that Shott has been designing and calling pass plays that put guys open with more than a 4" window for Sanchez to throw into all season - I'd put that chance at .5% but don't have the game films to confirm it.

I also cant say that Sanchez's execution has nothing to do with our hither-to-fore miserable passing attack.

But to say Shott has been calling a good passing game up till now and the players are just executing it is, at best, foolish.

I don't know what he's doing differently, and certainly Sanchez's maturation has seemed to accelerate over the last couple weeks - but if yesterday's output is a consistent result - I'm good with Shotty hanging around forever.

digest, specially Mark

Lighten up Francis.

We are here to discuss Football. This team is not perfect. If we'd like to discuss where we can improve, then let it be and dont get involved. If we want to win next week, we are going to have to tighten up.

How fun would this board be if we just jerked each other off claiming we were the best team ever?

Archived