So, how the hell are we gonna beat the Chargers?

ZachEY

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Winners of 11 in a row...

QB playing at an elite level...

Our shutdown corner giving up 6 inches to their top WR...

4th in Points per game...

Can we hold them under 24 points?

If you watched Chargers play you would know they cannot stop the run.

Revis shuts down anyone, Gates is an issue

If you watched Chargers play you would know they cannot stop the run.

Revis shuts down anyone, Gates is an issue

We will certainly be able to run the ball. But, we're still going to need a bunch of points.

I don't think we can expect Revis to blank Jackson. I don't expect a huge game or anything like that out of Jackson, but he's a physical receiver who's a lot taller, playing with a top flight QB. I think he'll make plays.

Gates will be an additional problem.

We will certainly be able to run the ball. But, we're still going to need a bunch of points.

I don't think we can expect Revis to blank Jackson. I don't expect a huge game or anything like that out of Jackson, but he's a physical receiver who's a lot taller, playing with a top flight QB. I think he'll make plays.

Rivers is smart, he will stay away from Revis

Gates and Sproles are the matchup problems

Ground control major tom is how we win.

we have to do exactly what we have been doing the past month and a half-run the rock, try to get a lead and bleed the clock. Play tough defense and put pressure in Rivers' face-like the Ravens did to Brady today. We're gonna need a big game from Calvin Pace

we have to do exactly what we have been doing the past month and a half-run the rock, try to get a lead and bleed the clock. Play tough defense and put pressure in Rivers' face-like the Ravens did to Brady today. We're gonna need a big game from Calvin Pace

We can't do that at the level the Ravens do. Suggs is on another level than anyone we've got rushing the passer.

On the defensive side of the ball we're going to have to make them keep the game on the ground. Giving Rivers the opportunity to control the game through the air is an effective means to losing. Blitz, blitz, blitz, and don't give time for their big WR's to exploit guys like Sheppard. Outside of Jackson and Gates, Floyd is quite good as a situational player and can keep defenses honest. We have to make him get rid of the ball early so we can get them to give the ball to Sproles an Tomlinson. That entire offense revolves around Rivers' accuracy and the physical mismatches their receivers create, take that away from them early and we have as good a chance as any as Norm historically has a hard time adjusting when defenses force him out of what he's comfortable with. Sproles really hasn't been that good this year, and Tomlinson is obviously in the twilight of his career and clearly can't do what he used to.

On offense we should do exactly what we did to Cinci. San Diego's line hasn't been it's usual self this season and their linebackers have been soft as well. Get our big 3 out in space and have them smack their linebackers around with Greene right behind them. Weddle is really their only DB that's been above average this year, so we should be able to get the ball to Cotch at least 5-6 times and hopefully he can break one. Keep it conservative and ride the line for 4 quarters, out of San Diego's entire front 7, Siler and Cooper are really the only ones who present a legit threat.

Revis will be fine against Jackson. The one thing Jet fans should be thankful about in going against SD is that Wayne was probably the only guy all year that gave him problems. If Norm's smart he'll route Gates and Floyd away from Jackson. That's the rub. Rhodes and Harris are going to have to have huge games in coverage, which is entirely reasonable given how they've covered in recent weeks.

Revis will be fine against Jackson. The one thing Jet fans should be thankful about in going against SD is that Wayne was probably the only guy all year that gave him problems. If Norm's smart he'll route Gates and Floyd away from Jackson. That's the rub. Rhodes and Harris are going to have to have huge games in coverage, which is entirely reasonable given how they've covered in recent weeks.

I think Revis will be fine, I just don't know if we count on another >35yrd performance. I guess the question is can we score 27 on them? Because I think that hoping to hold them a lot below that might be wishful thinking.

Rhodes and Harris are going to have to have huge games in coverage, which is entirely reasonable given how they've covered in recent weeks.

I think the rush should help the coverage against Rivers. He's accurate and gets rid of the ball but he doesn't have a strong arm on intermediate throws and I think he can be pressured into sailing it a bunch like Brady in week 2 or Palmer the last couple weeks. The back end has got to make the plays when they're there to be made though.

Vincent Jackson - 6'5", 230 pounds

Andre Johnson - 6'3" 225

They are pretty similar players but Andre is better across the middle among many other things. I don't think the extra 2 inches will hinder Revis too much at all, in fact, i bet he has one of his best games. Jackson is largely just a deep threat, between Revis and Rhodes, they won't be beating us long.

As someone else stated, i'm very concerned about Gates.

Vincent Jackson - 6'5", 230 pounds

Andre Johnson - 6'3" 225

They are pretty similar players but Andre is better across the middle among many other things. I don't think the extra 2 inches will hinder Revis too much at all, in fact, i bet he has one of his best games. Jackson is largely just a deep threat, between Revis and Rhodes, they won't be beating us long.

As someone else stated, i'm very concerned about Gates.

2 inches + Rivers over Schaub.

- Norv Turner is their head coach

- Their running game is 31st in the NFL

- Darrelle Revis will shut down Vincent Jackson

- Their run defense is 20th in the NFL

I think Revis will be fine, I just don't know if we count on another >35yrd performance. I guess the question is can we score 27 on them? Because I think that hoping to hold them a lot below that might be wishful thinking.

I don't see why not. Revis has feasted all year on big guys with ups.

Our point total depends on which Sanchez shows up. If it's yesterday's capitan then I think we'll be fine. Our line matches up really, really well against their front 7. Mangold alone should be able to take on 2 guys per play considering Scott is pretty bad and Cesaire isn't good enough to help control gaps for their linebackers against what we have up front. We should be able to blow past their front 3 easily so we can control their ILB's, particularly Siler, who is fantastic against the run.

I think the rush should help the coverage against Rivers. He's accurate and gets rid of the ball but he doesn't have a strong arm on intermediate throws and I think he can be pressured into sailing it a bunch like Brady in week 2 or Palmer the last couple weeks. The back end has got to make the plays when they're there to be made though.

Agreed. The one matchup that I think will be the biggest problem is Floyd. He's exactly the type of WR that Sheppard can not cover at all. I think we may see Smith and Leonhard in coverage more than we have over this stretch, though probably Leonhard more, particularly when he runs his 3 safety sets, which are pretty awesome to see in action. I have no idea what Lowery's status is, but the Jets need him to be healthy in the worst way for this game.

Dont feel good about this game at all.. Had the Jets big today, lines opening around +9, so they may still be a good bet, but I'm worried this game gets away from us and Sanchez starts throwing picks. Was really hoping to play Indy > NE

They like screens though.. I can see that little bastard sproles killing us on screens/draws

Agreed. The one matchup that I think will be the biggest problem is Floyd. He's exactly the type of WR that Sheppard can not cover at all. I think we may see Smith and Leonhard in coverage more than we have over this stretch, though probably Leonhard more, particularly when he runs his 3 safety sets, which are pretty awesome to see in action. I have no idea what Lowery's status is, but the Jets need him to be healthy in the worst way for this game.

Do you think Ihedigbo will get a lot of PT like last game?

Scary that we need to rely on Lowery.

Archived