So, how the hell are we gonna beat the Chargers?

ZachEY

Do you think Ihedigbo will get a lot of PT like last game?

Scary that we need to rely on Lowery.

It's not that he's seen a lot of PT, just a lot more compared to the beginning and middle of the year. But that aside, it makes sense to constantly shift things around up front because I think we'd be better served not blitzing our safeties as often as we usually do because of how big their WR's are. The reason Lowery plays an important role is because these are the exact types of receivers that he plays very well against and Sheppard simply doesn't. Having him healthy to switch off of Floyd and Gates would be a (said in Francessa voice) HU-YOOOOGE asset for the game.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They like screens though.. I can see that little bastard sproles killing us on screens/draws

Certainly is a possibility. Seems like Ryan has been fairly good about tightening it up after a poor tackling performance so a bounceback in that department should help some. We never do seem to sniff out the screen and just blow it into next week like Baltimore did on that first one today, though.

The reason Lowery plays an important role is because these are the exact types of receivers that he plays very well against and Sheppard simply doesn't.

Plus the free safety shading in that direction every snap. Not too worried about Floyd. Obviously worried about Rhodes on Gates.

we have to do exactly what we have been doing the past month and a half-run the rock, try to get a lead and bleed the clock. Play tough defense and put pressure in Rivers' face-like the Ravens did to Brady today. We're gonna need a big game from Calvin Pace

Run the rock and attack the QB.

Even today, whenever the Ravens rushed three Brady had all day and he can hurt you. Same with Rivers, who does not have a Brady arm and is not too mobile.

Winners of 11 in a row...

QB playing at an elite level...

Our shutdown corner giving up 6 inches to their top WR...

4th in Points per game...

Can we hold them under 24 points?

we beat them with the JETS formula! RUN, RUN, RUN! Keep the ball away from their explosive offense and then run some more! If Sanchez plays as he did yesterday, we will be pretty darn explosive ourselves. Our RUN game can run it up middle against their weak run defense. TJ & Greene should have big days. Our defense will find a way to stop Rivers from being a scoring machine. have some faith in our D-Rex. He is a defensive guru.

Plus the free safety shading in that direction every snap. Not too worried about Floyd. Obviously worried about Rhodes on Gates.

I think he's one of the more underrated players in the league. Rivers tends to look for him for big gains and he delivers for the most part. San Diego's offense is not that unpredictable, so my main fear is that Norm concedes Jackson and tries to play the two other mismatches he'll obviously have. Totally agree on Gates, but I think he'll get help from Harris on the shorter routes and we're just going to have to pray that we can get Rivers to get rid of it before he can get downfield on the secondary.

Honestly?

It falls on Rex.

Can he scheme up a pass defense to stop the Chargers while also taking away the edge from LT/Sproles.

All Shotty has to do is run the ball 75% of the game and Sanchez just needs to hit his marks.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hey douche bag it's nice to see you posting again. How was the Fin's game? Oh wait they didn't play this week because they didn't make the playoffs. Don't worry you can still watch the Jets next week because they're still in it.

LOL, ****ing losers.

Aha. Mickey Mouse, take it down a notch you're gonna have an aneurysm.

Yes, the Dolphins failed, the only thing that will cheer me up is for the Jets to get smacked around now. Go Bolts! :)

I give you guys credit for winning a playoff game though, I didn't think you had it in you.

Aha. Mickey Mouse, take it down a notch you're gonna have an aneurysm.

Yes, the Dolphins failed, the only thing that will cheer me up is for the Jets to get smacked around now. Go Bolts! :)

I give you guys credit for winning a playoff game though, I didn't think you had it in you.

No worries, I'll get you tickets to the super bowl so you can watch the Jets win it in their Southern Stadium.

Winners of 11 in a row...

Colts were winners of 23 in a row. I don't care about what they did mid game Mr. Francesa.

QB playing at an elite level...

#1 passing D

Our shutdown corner giving up 6 inches to their top WR...

Moss is 6'4+, Andre Johnson is 6'3", etc etc.

4th in Points per game...

#1 in points allowed

Can we hold them under 24 points?

I think so.

I think we match up much better against the Chargers. We struggle against teams with 2 dominant WRs and TEs. Well both IND and SD have very good TEs, so that's going to be a struggle, but SD doesn't really have a good #2 WR. They aren't a good running team either (but neither is IND).

SD's D is WEAK against the run. They are 20th. Keep in mind, they also usually get up pretty big and teams abandon the run. We won't do that. We stop them by keeping the ball for 35+ minutes. Another good piece of news is the game starts 1:40 local time, so it won't be dark. That means Edwards won't drop the long ball again.

Odds are stacked against us, but I think we can do it. I like our odds here better. Hit Rivers a couple times and he tends to get rattled. Of course, that's easier said than done.

Dont feel good about this game at all.. Had the Jets big today, lines opening around +9, so they may still be a good bet, but I'm worried this game gets away from us and Sanchez starts throwing picks. Was really hoping to play Indy > NE

You just ride Phillip Rivers' nuts. That's why you don't feel good about it. ;)

And as for how we're going to win? Here are the 4 answers you're looking for.

1. Rex Ryan

2. Darrelle Revis

3. Our OLine

4. Shonn Greene

You guys are pretty confident. Good Luck to you next week.

If you had Jamal Williams still I would be far less confident than I am. The fact that you don't means our OLine should open holes all day and Jones/Greene should both put up solid numbers.

Teams that can stop our run are teams that scare me the most, and without JWill, you guys don't do that too well.

Gun to my head I'd pick you guys strictly because we have to fly cross-coast and the wining percentage of teams flying across the country to play are miserable, plus you're the home team in the playoffs. However, I see no reason we should be intimidated by your team so I see our chances being 50/50.

Good luck to you as well. :cheers:

If you had Jamal Williams still I would be far less confident than I am. The fact that you don't means our OLine should open holes all day and Jones/Greene should both put up solid numbers.

Teams that can stop our run are teams that scare me the most, and without JWill, you guys don't do that too well.

Gun to my head I'd pick you guys strictly because we have to fly cross-coast and the wining percentage of teams flying across the country to play are miserable, plus you're the home team in the playoffs. However, I see no reason we should be intimidated by your team so I see our chances being 50/50.

Good luck to you as well. :cheers:

The Jets Run O is pretty scary. The Chargers play a style of D that is pretty aggravating at times. They mainly try to not allow the big play. They give up a lot of yards, but once they get backed down to the 30 or so, they play tight. Take away the first 5 games of the season, and the Chargers are one of the best Scoring D's in the league.

My hands are getting sweaty reading the confidence you guys have here. I really don't think I could stand another great regular season just to lose in the first round.

I'm calling it a Chargers win, but what kind of fan would I be if I didn't?

The Jets Run O is pretty scary. The Chargers play a style of D that is pretty aggravating at times. They mainly try to not allow the big play. They give up a lot of yards, but once they get backed down to the 30 or so, they play tight. Take away the first 5 games of the season, and the Chargers are one of the best Scoring D's in the league.

My hands are getting sweaty reading the confidence you guys have here. I really don't think I could stand another great regular season just to lose in the first round.

I'm calling it a Chargers win, but what kind of fan would I be if I didn't?

Another thing is that you guys don't run the ball very successfully. LT was GREAT but seems to have fallen off a cliff. Your run blocking is not as solid either but now that Hardwick has returned, it could improve.

Vs. most teams your running game might get you 2 yards on 1st down, and 3 on 2nd down setting up a 3rd and manageable 5 (especially with a QB like Rivers). However, if we can keep you to 3rd and 7 or more (which I feel most teams don't but we can), it might not sound like much but it could be the difference between less 3rd down conversions and stalled drives than you guys are used to.

Should be a good game. Great to have level-headed fan of the opponent here. Hopefully you stay for the week.

Another thing is that you guys don't run the ball very successfully. LT was GREAT but seems to have fallen off a cliff. Your run blocking is not as solid either but now that Hardwick has returned, it could improve.

Vs. most teams your running game might get you 2 yards on 1st down, and 3 on 2nd down setting up a 3rd and manageable 5 (especially with a QB like Rivers). However, if we can keep you to 3rd and 7 or more (which I feel most teams don't but we can), it might not sound like much but it could be the difference between less 3rd down conversions and stalled drives than you guys are used to.

Should be a good game. Great to have level-headed fan of the opponent here. Hopefully you stay for the week.

The Return of Hardwick has already showed improvement. We had a good pass blocker as his replacement, but he was garbage at run blocking.

To tell you the truth we probably pass on 70%+ on first down anyways.

I looked into the numbers and if you take away our first 5 games, the Chargers D give up 16.7 pts per game, which would have been 4th in the league, if they could have sustained it all year.

All I know is that this is going to be one of the longest weeks of my life.

The Return of Hardwick has already showed improvement. We had a good pass blocker as his replacement, but he was garbage at run blocking.

To tell you the truth we probably pass on 70%+ on first down anyways.

I looked into the numbers and if you take away our first 5 games, the Chargers D give up 16.7 pts per game, which would have been 4th in the league, if they could have sustained it all year.

All I know is that this is going to be one of the longest weeks of my life.

QFT.

Colts were winners of 23 in a row. I don't care about what they did mid game Mr. Francesa.

Everything but your first point is fair.

It's not like we're going to face Volek in the middle of the third... You can't ignore what the Colts did, whether you care about it or not.

i think you'll see e smith on gates, not rhodes. i am pretty sure that's what the jets did with gonzalez for most of the game (except the last play of course).

How are we going to beat them? Run the ball. A lot.

Unfortunately, I think we lose in a tight one.

I think we match up very well with them and will win this game.

They're 31st in running, and 5th in passing on Offense, and we're 8th agains the rush, 1st against the pass on Defense. We are at the best shutting teams down when they're droping back and passing the ball. Our weakness, as shown by Cedric Benson last night, is our run defense and Tomlinson and Sproles have not ran the ball well this year at all.

We're 1st in running, and they're 20th in rushing Defense, meaning we should be able to move the ball pretty well on the ground with a heavy dose of Shonn Greene with some Thomas Jones sprinkled in.

Honestly, we match up VERY well with San Diego and Indianapolis as long as we are able to get to the Quarterback with some consistency, while we're mirror images with Baltimore. Baltimore could be our toughest test of the entire playoffs, but luckily if we have to play them it will be at the Meadowlands.

Plus...... Norv Turner is their coach. :rl:

That's what I'm worried about. If we're over aggressive trying to get to the QB the screen play is going to kill us.

Rivers is possibly the smartest QB we've played all year, he's big with a strong arm.

He has multiple weapons, and they all tower over our CBs:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/10/chargers-have-receivers-who-can-hit-heights/

All 3 WRs are 6-4 or 6-5...:shutit:

Frankly, I cannot see us winning this one unless Rivers gets hurt, or the jets running game just grinds them down, which fortunately, is their one achilles heel - their run defense stinks.

This reminds me of the '91 SB, where the Giants beat the Bills and their stellar offense. We will need a similar game plan - grind it out, and try to keep it close.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see us getting blown out in the first qtr - we just do not have the pass rush or a fast/tall enough secondary (other than Revis) to keep it close.

Archived