Big props to Mike T...

BwanaZulia

We all need to give HUGE props to Mike T..

In a playoff win, two players picked in the draft (with huge moves to get there) were the difference.

Mark Sanchez

Shonne Green.

Amazing.

No matter what happens this weekend, I am very happy at the long term prospects of Mike and Rex leading the direction of our team.

Also, gotta give some props to Woody for brining him in.

BZ

Mike Tannenbaum is flat awesome at his job. He manages the cap with the best of them, proves he can seal the deal in both signing free agents and trading with other teams, and he has a number of VERY successful drafts under his belt.

The only blemish on his resume is the Gholston pick. Reports out there say that Mangini was the leading force behind the Gholston pick, and while I believe them, even if they aren't true that one mistake (ALL gms make them) is not enough to tarnish his rep with me.

Mike Tannenbaum FTW!!!!

Mike Tannenbaum is flat awesome at his job. He manages the cap with the best of them, proves he can seal the deal in both signing free agents and trading with other teams, and he has a number of VERY successful drafts under his belt.

The only blemish on his resume is the Gholston pick. Reports out there say that Mangini was the leading force behind the Gholston pick, and while I believe them, even if they aren't true that one mistake (ALL gms make them) is not enough to tarnish his rep with me.

Mike Tannenbaum FTW!!!!

Completely agree. The only other complaint people have about Tannenbaum is the lack of draft picks they've ended up with some years. Although even Tannenbaum himself has said its not intentional and has only come up as a matter of circumstances. After the game he was talking about the hesitation they had in moving up to get Greene given how few picks they already had, but they felt the guy was just too highly rated on their board and way too good of a value for them to pass up at that spot.

That said, if you look at his history in those moves, its been a matter of quality over quantity and has worked out extremely well. Revis is one of the best players in the league, Harris is a great LB for us, Sanchez, Greene and Keller were all significant parts of this team's playoff win, just to name a few. The only real downside of those moves has been people questioning the Jets depth, which was a concern that I think really got put to bed, at least to an extent, this season. Overall, I think Tannenbaum has done a great job and am surprised when people seem to think otherwise.

Jets' owner Woody Johnson glad he stuck with GM Tannenbaum

For all the world, it seemed one more banana-peel moment for a franchise that specializes in them. There, behind a makeshift podium, Jets owner Woody Johnson was explaining why he had asked Eric Mangini to leave. And sitting next to him, general manager Mike Tannenbaum was explaining how it could be that he'd been allowed to remain.

"I felt we had to make a move," the owner said.

"I think we have a championship foundation in place," the GM said.

One more time, it seemed, the Jets had fumbled the snap, gone half-way and gotten something half right. Nobody had a problem with Mangini going; it was Tannenbaum staying that seemed a goofy plan. They had been christened the Kiddie Korps, two precocious football lifers joined at the hip, close friends and closer associates, both of them trained in the various Kremlinesque stylings of Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. It was hard to decipher where one ended and the other began.

What we knew -- or thought we knew -- about Tannenbaum was this: He had closed the ill-fated deal for Brett Favre. He had allowed Chad Pennington to end up with another team in his own division, when he clearly could have prevented that. He had drafted Kellen Clemens as his quarterback of the future. He had drafted Vernon Gholsten. He had hired Mangini. And he had spent an awful lot of Johnson's money, with one playoff loss to show for it.

At that press conference, I asked Johnson this question: "Did you consider completely cleaning house when you made up your minds that a change needed to be made?"

"No," the owner said, without pause. "I didn't. I'm very comfortable with Mike."

It seemed the worst kind of hedge on Johnson's bet, a wager that was as large as ever thanks to the new stadium and all those available seats. Only, as it turns out, Johnson really did know his football operation better than anyone else did, or could. He really did know that it was Mangini who was the poisonous strain. Even mild-mannered Darrelle Revis pointed out after the Jets' 24-14 win over the Bengals on Saturday, saying Mangini treated his team like "high school players."

Most telling, Johnson really did have faith in Tannenbaum: That he saw a matching success for every failure; that he saw the drafting of Revis as every bit the positive that Gholsten was the negative; that Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson would bolster Tannenbaum's draft acumen; that the $150 million he had approved to lure Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins and Alan Faneca would ultimately prove to be money well spent. But even that was merely prologue.

Because since the moment Johnson stubbornly -- if not defiantly -- retained Tannenbaum, the GM has enjoyed a year not unlike the one Jerry Reese enjoyed in his first season as the Giants' GM in 2007, when every one of the picks from his first draft wound up contributing to their Super Bowl championship.

Tannenbaum's presence meant that high-profile coaching candidates like Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan and Mike Holmgren, men who would seek enormous influence and power, would want no part of the Jets. That sparked a shattering spasm of outrage. Then he eschewed a hefty list of experience, topped by Marty Schottenheimer, Brian Billick and Jon Gruden. And then targeted Rex Ryan, lacking even one day of head-coaching experience.

"I think we found the perfect guy for this team," Tannenbaum said. He was right.

On draft day, Tannenbaum moved up 12 spots in the first round and surrendered two picks and three players to draft Mark Sanchez, his second stab at identifying a franchise quarterback. Later, he moved up 11 slots in the third round for three more picks, and tabbed running back Shonn Greene out of Iowa.

"That was not our plan," Tannenbaum said at the time, of making two such bold moves. "But we just felt it was a compelling opportunity." And was right again. Twice.

Saturday, it was Ryan who inspired the Jets with his confidence and his competence, it was Sanchez who ignited the offense with a poise beyond his years, and it was Greene who turned the game around with a 39-yard tying touchdown scamper on his way to 135 yards rushing. Suddenly, it seems Johnson isn't the only one comfortable with Tannenbaum.

An energized fan base would have to admit as much, too. Sometimes, the owner really does know his team better than anyone else.

Mike Tannenbaum FTW!!!!

Can't agree with you. There is no GM out there who scores 100% on his first round picks. And if you look at T's other first rounders, they are all solid. And considering the picks we made before T took over, he is great!

Can't agree with you. There is no GM out there who scores 100% on his first round picks. And if you look at T's other first rounders, they are all solid. And considering the picks we made before T took over, he is great!

Strong comprehension skills on display here fella.

We all need to give HUGE props to Mike T..

In a playoff win, two players picked in the draft (with huge moves to get there) were the difference.

Mark Sanchez

Shonne Green.

Amazing.

No matter what happens this weekend, I am very happy at the long term prospects of Mike and Rex leading the direction of our team.

Also, gotta give some props to Woody for brining him in.

BZ

Agreed Mr.T has been flatout great and as much as these PSL`s are going to break me done the road (LOL) I also give Woody big Props for being a great Owner and puttingup the cash when the time comes

Bad picks are part of the job. The very best GM's in the biz do not hit on every single draft pick and any expectation of doing so is completely unreasonable. By all measures of draft standards, Tanny is awesome. 4 Pro Bowlers in 4 years, maybe even 2-3 more eventually from these past 4 classes. I really think that Jet fans collectively have drastically overlooked how impressive that is.

Tanny is the best, you always feel like we're in the mix for anything that is going on.

But don't forget Bradway, he sucked as a GM but the dude is a great talent evalutator.

And I would bet he is the man behind most of these picks.

that's the thing O'b2...when we were all on the boards in the late 90's and early 2000's we'd sit at our (big) computers and say 'man, I WISH we could get this guy or that" and we never did. We'd settle for the Curtis Conways and Steve At-waters of the football world-Art Monks...never the big names like we needed. Now under this regime we are almost always in the mix. Makes being a fan fun ya know?

Completely agree. The only other complaint people have about Tannenbaum is the lack of draft picks they've ended up with some years. Although even Tannenbaum himself has said its not intentional and has only come up as a matter of circumstances. After the game he was talking about the hesitation they had in moving up to get Greene given how few picks they already had, but they felt the guy was just too highly rated on their board and way too good of a value for them to pass up at that spot.

That said, if you look at his history in those moves, its been a matter of quality over quantity and has worked out extremely well. Revis is one of the best players in the league, Harris is a great LB for us, Sanchez, Greene and Keller were all significant parts of this team's playoff win, just to name a few. The only real downside of those moves has been people questioning the Jets depth, which was a concern that I think really got put to bed, at least to an extent, this season. Overall, I think Tannenbaum has done a great job and am surprised when people seem to think otherwise.

I would rather have playmakers than a bunch of average "depth" type of guys. The Pats always stockpile draft picks but not many of their front line players were drafted. With FA, you can always pick up depth, which Tanny has also done pretty well.

The only real downside of those moves has been people questioning the Jets depth, which was a concern that I think really got put to bed, at least to an extent, this season. Overall, I think Tannenbaum has done a great job and am surprised when people seem to think otherwise.

It may be seen as nit-picking at this stage of our season, but I think that lack of depth shows itself on the Jets' coverage teams. They'd been a strength for years, this year they're a distinct liability. The trades with Cleveland, while landing exciting players, did the most damage. I love the move up for Sanchez, but as excited as I was to get Braylon Edwards in here, I have to say his latest big drop has me re-thinking it.

But don't forget Bradway, he sucked as a GM but the dude is a great talent evalutator.

And I would bet he is the man behind most of these picks.

I'll never forget Bradway. A fatwah on his stupid head!

Guy sucked everyday, and twice on draft day. Crappy picks, worse trades. He should be hand-cuffed to Justin McCariens and thrown into the pit of Hell for all eternity.

Joey Clinkscales, ftw!

I would rather have playmakers than a bunch of average "depth" type of guys. The Pats always stockpile draft picks but not many of their front line players were drafted. With FA, you can always pick up depth, which Tanny has also done pretty well.

Agreed. I don't think we're hurting too badly for depth. The Jets lost Kris ****ing Jenkins in the early part of the season and didn't miss a beat. Hunter and Turner are solid backups on the other side. Sheppard missed several games this year and Lowery and Coleman held their own when needed; Rex was able to bench Rhodes partly because of depth in the secondary. The running game didn't suffer after losing Leon. Throw in the fact that he's been able to develop a few younger projects at LB by rotating them into games as well. It's actually not that bad of a situation.

Tannenbaum has done a great job, but it is only part of the success. Having a coach staff that actually coaches these young players to be contributors is huge. Remember when Herm would banish young players to the bench? Would Herm have ever spelled Curtis Martin to give his backup a bunch of carries in a playoff game? Ask Lamont Jordan.

several articles written that said tanny nixed ghoulston, but was over-ridden by mangini.

All that reeks of 'bus-throwing' though.

And, at the end of the day, it's still the GM's job to make the pick.

It was a mistake, but one that's obviously not killing us right now.

Tannenbaum has done a great job, but it is only part of the success. Having a coach staff that actually coaches these young players to be contributors is huge. Remember when Herm would banish young players to the bench? Would Herm have ever spelled Curtis Martin to give his backup a bunch of carries in a playoff game? Ask Lamont Jordan.

I was just thinking the same thing reading down this thread and then you said it StoneH...the perfect example of that is the curious case of Sione Pohau. We were all laughing about that bust the same way we mocked Schlegel but something happened under this new coaching staff. He was the guy getting turned around and upside down in Mangini's defense and now he's a damn solid back-up/forced starter who will be a Jet for years to come.

Archived