Rogers Fumble - Tuck Rule?

Green DNA

Did anybody watch a replay of Rogers fumble last night? He was going to throw the ball and then he pulled it back down before being hit and fumbling. Sound familiar? It was identical to the "Tuck Rule" play that gave the Pats new life against the Raiders. Does this rule not apply now, or was it just a one time thing? I wasn't rooting for either team yesterday but I was wondering if the rule might be dusted off for the second time in NFL history. Apparently not, hmmmm.

Did anybody watch a replay of Rogers fumble last night? He was going to throw the ball and then he pulled it back down before being hit and fumbling. Sound familiar? It was identical to the "Tuck Rule" play that gave the Pats new life against the Raiders. Does this rule not apply now, or was it just a one time thing? I wasn't rooting for either team yesterday but I was wondering if the rule might be dusted off for the second time in NFL history. Apparently not, hmmmm.

Ball never touched the ground.

So, if it was a 'pass' as it would need to be for the tuck rule, then it would have been an INT.

That's not even the debate that should be had...

The facemask that took place from Adams on Rodgers should have been called, giving Green Bay the ball back, +15 yards and a 1st down...

But that sack never takes place if the helmet to helmet penalty was called earlier in the series...

That's not even the debate that should be had...

The facemask that took place from Adams on Rodgers should have been called, giving Green Bay the ball back, +15 yards and a 1st down...

But that sack never takes place if the helmet to helmet penalty was called earlier in the series...

My understanding is, if it was a fumble, he's no longer an offensive player and there wouldn't be a call there.

My understanding is, if it was a fumble, he's no longer an offensive player and there wouldn't be a call there.

I thought that as well, but OLineman get penalized for illegal hands to the face. So grabbing a defender's facemask is also a penalty.

The problem was simple. The hit was so quick and the referee was focusing on the ball that he never paid attention to what happened to Rodgers after the ball came lose.

BTW, people love polishing Rodgers' knob (*cough*CTM*cough*), but the guy holds onto the ball WAAAAAYYYYY TOOOOOOO LONG. That's why the Packers give up so many sacks.

Rodgers is unquestionably good, but his bad habit of holding the ball too long killed them in the end.

I thought that as well, but OLineman get penalized for illegal hands to the face. So grabbing a defender's facemask is also a penalty.

The problem was simple. The hit was so quick and the referee was focusing on the ball that he never paid attention to what happened to Rodgers after the ball came lose.

BTW, people love polishing Rodgers' knob (*cough*CTM*cough*), but the guy holds onto the ball WAAAAAYYYYY TOOOOOOO LONG. That's why the Packers give up so many sacks.

Rodgers is unquestionably good, but his bad habit of holding the ball too long killed them in the end.

Just like Ken Obrien eventually those hits add up and take their toll. Someone better get a hold of Rodgers and put a clock in his head because the more hits you take the closer you get to retirement when playing the QB position.

I believe the rule is read so that the ball had not been recovered...

Grabbing his facemask would impede his ability to recover the fumble, therefore it's not incidental to the play itself...

The ball was still up for grabs when the defender was grasping the facemask...

Green Bay retains possession if the flag is thrown and Arizona recovers...

That's what you get for starting a dumbass thread. :D

Seriously, though. How in the hell do you question whether the Tuck Rule applies if the ball NEVER touches the ground???

I'm going with "it was a theoretical question assuming the ball was on the turf " or post whoring. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Yes, the Tuck Rule was a one time thing for the NFL. The only other time that rule has been invoked was in 1856 during an intramural game at Ohio Wesleyan.

Yes, the Tuck Rule was a one time thing for the NFL. The only other time that rule has been invoked was in 1856 during an intramural game at Ohio Wesleyan.

Thats sarcasm right?

I remember the Week 2 Jets/Pats game in 2001 when Vinny and the Jets were the beneficiaries of the tuck rule that 95% of NFL fans swear didn't exist before the Pats got the same call in the playoffs that season.

I think for it to be "tucked" he would have to put two hands on the ball, which he never did

About the phantom facemask, I think it was a good non-call. If the guy actually grabbed and pulled, then it would have been a real infraction. But I don't think there's anything wrong with accidently touching the facemask when you're in the middle of a game-winning sack.

About the phantom facemask, I think it was a good non-call. If the guy actually grabbed and pulled, then it would have been a real infraction. But I don't think there's anything wrong with accidently touching the facemask when you're in the middle of a game-winning sack.

And the helmet to helmet...

And blatent offensive PI on Fitz' TD earlier? When he trucked over Woodson to get open...

lol, the officials in that game were laughable... That's why I'm even bothering to scrutinize this...

Ball never touched the ground.

So, if it was a 'pass' as it would need to be for the tuck rule, then it would have been an INT.

EY on point as usual (dont ever tell I gave you credit bro). The ball never touched the ground so either it would have been a fumble or INT. Either way the Cards defense stepped up after realizing that they just missed packing their bags by 1 yard on that Roger-to-Jennings throw.

I tell you this, I used to front on Rogers, but this kid is bananas wit it.

I tell you this, that play looked like a facemask on Rogers if you asked me. If anything were to be argued it should have been that. No only would the Pack get the ball back but they'd add 15 yards too.

The discouraging thing about that play is that there should have been a face mask penalty on the fumble play... and the play before it, Dockett lead with his helmet and put it right on Rodgers' chin. Another penalty that wasn't called.

I hate that they over-protect these QB's, but if they are going to insist on doing it... then it should be across the board... we all know damn well if it was Brady there would have been flags all over the field on BOTH of those plays.

Oh well... sucks for the Packers.

Just another example of how bad the officiating was across the board in all 4 games this weekend.

Archived