Jets punter Weatherford passes heart stress test

Bruce Banner

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/12/weatherford.ap/index.html

New York Jets punter Steve Weatherford has passed a stress test and should be fine for Sunday's playoff game at San Diego.

Weatherford missed last weekend's victory at Cincinnati because of a rapid heartbeat. He says he will require a surgical procedure after the season. He also had surgery when he was 16 for the problem.

The 27-year-old Weatherford says the condition is related to "the electrical setup of the heart" and has nothing to do with physical exertion.

He underwent tests Monday and practiced Tuesday

my wife had a very similar (if not the same exact) condition, it's very scary. out of no-where her heart would just start racing and zoom up to 150 bpm and she would have to lie down for hours

they fixed it by (in laymans terms) by zapping a scar on her heart to block the offending tissue

hope he's OK

Glad to hear he's gonna be OK. Everyone gave him a tough time because NBC didn't bother to figure out what was really wrong. When I heard the true story, about him ripping out the IVs and running onto the field, I felt really bad for him. Clearly the guy wanted to give his all.

my wife had a very similar (if not the same exact) condition, it's very scary. out of no-where her heart would just start racing and zoom up to 150 bpm and she would have to lie down for hours

they fixed it by (in laymans terms) by zapping a scar on her heart to block the offending tissue

hope he's OK

Definitely scary. I'm glad your wife is okay. The same with Weatherford.

According to another report, Weatherford is going to have heart surgery in the offseason to correct the condition. He had the same surgery when he was 16 (he's 27 now).

As to what happened in the WC game, it was reported that Weatherford's heart rate shot up to 150 bpm and he felt light headed. No matter what the docs did, they could get the heart rate to go down.

1/12/2010 5:25:20 PM

The Associated Press reports New York Jets punter Steve Weatherford has passed a stress test and should be fine for Sunday's playoff game at San Diego.

Weatherford says he will require a surgical procedure after the season. He also had surgery when he was 16 for the problem.

The 27-year-old Weatherford says the condition is related to "the electrical setup of the heart" and has nothing to do with physical exertion.

He underwent tests Monday and practiced Tuesday.

I would be one of them, Bleedin' Green. They said he had an illness, which immediately made me think of that tampax using John Abraham and his stomach flu that somehow was so bad it kept him out of the 2001 or 2002 (I forget which one) playoff game at Oakland.

As someone who has a heart condition as well, I feel for Steve and I am glad he is doing okay. Extra "awesomeness" that he'll be able to step on the field and punt on Sunday, because we'll need him. You can only get away with 35 yard line drive punts from Jay Feely for so long.

I would be one of them, Bleedin' Green. They said he had an illness, which immediately made me think of that tampax using John Abraham and his stomach flu that somehow was so bad it kept him out of the 2001 or 2002 (I forget which one) playoff game at Oakland.

As someone who has a heart condition as well, I feel for Steve and I am glad he is doing okay. Extra "awesomeness" that he'll be able to step on the field and punt on Sunday, because we'll need him. You can only get away with 35 yard line drive punts from Jay Feely for so long.

I believe the Jets and the NFL did Weatherford a disservice by saying he was out with an "illness."

Everyone killed Weatherford not because he was out, but because he was out with an "illness." Everyone though it was a stomach virus, fake flue, cold, etc.

I truly believe that if the Jets & NFL had said he was out with a "medical condition" (the appropriate term), then Weatherford wouldn't have gotten such heat.

His heartrate at rest went up to 175 bpm. That's not an "illness", that's a medical condition which required medical attention (which he received). According to Cimini, the doctors weren't able to lowe his heart rate to 80 bpm until halftime.

I believe the Jets and the NFL did Weatherford a disservice by saying he was out with an "illness."

Everyone killed Weatherford not because he was out, but because he was out with an "illness." Everyone though it was a stomach virus, fake flue, cold, etc.

I truly believe that if the Jets & NFL had said he was out with a "medical condition" (the appropriate term), then Weatherford wouldn't have gotten such heat.

His heartrate at rest went up to 175 bpm. That's not an "illness", that's a medical condition which required medical attention (which he received). According to Cimini, the doctors weren't able to lowe his heart rate to 80 bpm until halftime.

I completely agree and to that extent, while it sucks no matter what, I don't nearly blame the fans as much, as we only had so limited information. However, the commentators and other sports "experts" who chimed in had a whole lot to say and that's where I think it crosses the line. Peter King apologized in his MMQB article because of what he said, these guys just need to know better. And from the sound of it, regardless of what Weatherford was saying or doing the trainers apparently were not going to clear him to play once they found the issue. Credit to them as well, as it seems too often in the NFL medical staff's allow themselves to be convinced by players or intimidated by coaches (not that Rex would do that) into allowing guys to play who maybe shouldn't.

Also, as much as I like Rex, his post-game comments did actually kind of bother me. I felt like he was kind of taking it a little lightly and was even hinting that he was expecting Weatherford to come back in at some point. Not that Rex said anything terrible, I just don't think it was fair of him.

Also, as much as I like Rex, his post-game comments did actually kind of bother me. I felt like he was kind of taking it a little lightly and was even hinting that he was expecting Weatherford to come back in at some point. Not that Rex said anything terrible, I just don't think it was fair of him.

I saw Rex's press conference after the game and yesterday's also and both times he said that there was no way they were letting Weatherford into the game, even though he wanted to get in.

Rex did joke after the game however that he himself got an irregular heartbeat when he heard that Weatherford was out. Was he taking it a bit too lightly? Maybe, but it was nothing over the top.

I saw Rex's press conference after the game and yesterday's also and both times he said that there was no way they were letting Weatherford into the game, even though he wanted to get in.

Rex did joke after the game however that he himself got an irregular heartbeat when he heard that Weatherford was out. Was he taking it a bit too lightly? Maybe, but it was nothing over the top.

Oh yeah, I hear you. I wasn't overly offended or anything, but just that when I heard his post-game presser it surprised me a little I guess.

Jets must have been using the Mets medical gurus. ;-)

Archived