Mark Sanchez barked at Rex Ryan in win over Cincinnati Bengals

Jetfan13

BY

Rich Cimini

alg_jets_sanchez.jpg Antonelli/News

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez takes on Rex Ryan during Saturday's game in Cincy and coach couldn't be happier.

Before one of the biggest plays of his young career, Mark Sanchez got mad at his coach. He stormed to the sideline, looked Rex Ryan in the eye and snapped, "Man, why the heck did you do that?"

Actually, the rookie's language was a bit saltier than that. He was steamed because Ryan had just called timeout, moments before a critical third-down play at the Bengals' 25 yard-line in the Jets' wild-card win. Sanchez, confident in the play-call and comfortable with the defensive look, was in no mood to pardon the interruption.

And Ryan loved Sanchez's reaction. To him, it demonstrated conviction. After a season of growing pains - all the interceptions, Hot Dog Gate, the non-sliding controversy - Sanchez finally was acting as if he'd been there and done that, barking at his coach in the crucible of a playoff game.

It could be a defining moment in Sanchez's young career.

"That's maybe a sign of growing up a little - I hope," he said Tuesday as the Jets began preparations for Sunday's AFC divisional showdown in San Diego. "Being able to fire back real quick, knowing what's going on, six weeks ago would I have done that? I don't know. Maybe not."

Sanchez wound up converting that third-down pass after the timeout, one of the key plays in a sterling performance that made him only the fourth rookie quarterback since 1970 to win a playoff game. It wasn't a game for the ages (12-for-15, 182 yards), but it may have been the most important sub 200-yard game in Jets history.

It was his third consecutive game without an interception, a dramatic turnaround after 20 picks in his first 13 starts. The confidence level of Sanchez's teammates, who remained publicly supportive throughout his struggles, has gone up a few notches over the last couple of weeks.

"The biggest thing he's learned is that you hold the livelihood of a lot of people in your hands when you have that football in your hands," tackle Damien Woody said. "He understands that now."

It's only a small thing, but some players were buzzing about Sanchez's command of the offense in Tuesday's practice. They said he was sharp, decisive and confident. One player said, "It feels like a new season."

After the 24-14 win over the Bengals, the Jets' first playoff victory in five years, Ryan said he sensed that Sanchez was tired of being perceived as the "weak link." Asked if he felt that way, Sanchez smiled and said, "Whoa, whoa."

"I don't think that really bothered me at all," he said of the perception. "It was frustrating at times, but it's something you work through. Hopefully, that's long gone."

Sanchez has won his last three road starts, a good omen to take into Qualcomm Stadium. How he handles the first quarter will be critical.

Over their 11-game winning streak, the Chargers have outscored opponents, 83-16, in the opening quarter. If the Jets fall behind, it will force them out of their comfort zone, putting the ball in Sanchez's hands.

Sanchez's recent improvement notwithstanding, the Jets don't want to go there.

"I threw the ball 15 times (last week)," Sanchez said. "I have plenty of room to improve. I haven't arrived."

If the Jets keep it close or play with the lead, they will have the ability to attack the Chargers' weakness. Their run defense is rated 20th, they have a modest sack total (35) and they don't make a ton of big plays when the ball is in the air (only 14 interceptions). A lot could depend on how Sanchez handles the pressure of the moment.

"I'm honored to be here, but at the same time, I don't want to look back and say,

Since everyone seems convinced that Sanchez has turned the corner, and his mistakes are in the past, what happens if he stinks this Sunday?

Had to go there eh?

I would assume the media will shift gears, make a complete 180 and starting writing articles that call into question whether or not Sanchez will ever "get it."

The fans will likely follow suit... save for a few that will see the silver lining on what has been one of the most unlikely seasons the Jets have put together in a while.

Had to go there eh?

I would assume the media will shift gears, make a complete 180 and starting writing articles that call into question whether or not Sanchez will ever "get it."

The fans will likely follow suit... save for a few that will see the silver lining on what has been one of the most unlikely seasons the Jets have put together in a while.

Yeah, I did. We've been fellating him all week like it was Monday after the week 2. I'm hopeful but worried.

Fortunately, the proper strategy is to hurt SD with the run. So, he should be under 20 passes again.

But myself, I know that I've finally stopped cringing whenever he drops back, and all that means is something bad has to be coming, right?

Had to go there eh?

I hate articles like this.. it's tempting fate. AS good as Sanchez was last week, and he ws good, we shouldn't ignore that the Bengals way over commited on the run and he literally had guys wide open almost every time he dropped back.

It was sanchez's season long ineptitude that earned that kind of scheme, if SD decide to try something different, or shuts down the run without commiting an army to the box, it's very likely that sanchez will have a bad game on Sunday. ANd it's ok, cause he's still a rookie an no lightbulb went on during the indy game other then a rush of adrenaline when the team realized Caldwell was going to take their seson off life support by benching manning

I hate articles like this.. it's tempting fate. AS good as Sanchez was last week, and he ws good, we shouldn't ignore that the Bengals way over commited on the run and he literally had guys wide open almost every time he dropped back.

It was sanchez's season long ineptitude that earned that kind of scheme, if SD decide to try something different, or shuts down the run without commiting an army to the box, it's very likely that sanchez will have a bad game on Sunday. ANd it's ok, cause he's still a rookie an no lightbulb went on during the indy game other then a rush of adrenaline when the team realized Caldwell was going to take their seson off life support by benching manning

If the Chargers can do that, then the Jets will be in a world of trouble regardless of QB.

No team has been able to shut down the Jets running game this season without committing an army to the box.

Richardson said it before that he saw fronts this year that he never seen in his career.

If the Chargers decide to play it straight up, then the Jets should be able to rack up big rushing numbers.

If the Chargers can do that, then the Jets will be in a world of trouble regardless of QB.

No team has been able to shut down the Jets running game this season without committing an army to the box.

Richardson said it before that he saw fronts this year that he never seen in his career.

If the Chargers decide to play it straight up, then the Jets should be able to rack up big rushing numbers.

Having a safety creep down is a bit different then what the bengals did. The Falcons for instance somewhat controlled the running game without that kind of effort..

Count the people right at the line on this play: Theres 9. I was screaming play action pass..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8159d776/Keller-43-yard-catch-and-run

This one had 8 in there and both safeties bit hard on what wasn't even that good of a playaction fake..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8159cfba/Keller-45-yard-TD

I think the bengals were pretty spooked by the beatdown we gave them the week prior..

Exactly...

There is no way that San Diego can contain the inside AND the outside without comitting to do so...

If they don't put 8 or 9 in the box, they're in for a tough day...

We should be able to see the same type of PA rollouts this week, as we did last week...

Having a safety creep down is a bit different then what the bengals did. The Falcons for instance somewhat controlled the running game without that kind of effort..

Count the people right at the line on this play: Theres 9. I was screaming play action pass..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8159d776/Keller-43-yard-catch-and-run

This one had 8 in there and both safeties bit hard on what wasn't even that good of a playaction fake..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8159cfba/Keller-45-yard-TD

I think the bengals were pretty spooked by the beatdown we gave them the week prior..

And had they had 7 in the box on either of those, we can run and break outside containment, as seen on Greene's run to the left side... Since teams have to overload the right or get decimated by a pulling Mangold and Faneca...

Its good to see that Mark is getting more comfortable with the offense, and its showing in his play. I would like to see more play action bootlegs this week and I've been wondering where they've been all season. Mark is a pretty accurate passer on the move.

And had they had 7 in the box on either of those, we can run and break outside containment, as seen on Greene's run to the left side... Since teams have to overload the right or get decimated by a pulling Mangold and Faneca...

I think shonn greene has helped a lot, but again, the falcons contained our run game 4 weeks ago without that kind of run stop commitment..

1st and 10, 7 in box

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8151b67b/Brent-Grimes-INT

I think shonn greene has helped a lot, but again, the falcons contained our run game 4 weeks ago without that kind of run stop commitment..

1st and 10, 7 in box

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8151b67b/Brent-Grimes-INT

It's like comparing apples and oranges...

SD plays bend but don't break against the run...

If they do that with our offensive line, it's going to be a long day...

It's like comparing apples and oranges...

SD plays bend but don't break against the run...

If they do that with our offensive line, it's going to be a long day...

I agree that we should be able to run, particularly with Greene.. But it's also possible they stop us the first few drives on adrenaline alone and we get down 17-0 quick, in which case they'll probably back off and let us run for 5 yards every snap and chew clock..

I agree that we should be able to run, particularly with Greene.. But it's also possible they stop us the first few drives on adrenaline alone and we get down 17-0 quick, in which case they'll probably back off and let us run for 5 yards every snap and chew clock..

I just want to know where this is coming from...

There's no indication anywhere that this team will go down 17-0 quick... Unless of course you're a Charger homer who believes this game will end somewhere in the 52-3 range...

Only New England blew our doors off and they did it moving the chains with Welker...

Sorry but San Diego has nothing even remotely similar to Welker in their arsenal...

They have a shifty back, a goal line back and big physical receivers... Which is exactly what we've been up against all season...

The games we've played and the situations we've been in all point in one direction...

A hard fought, close game...

I just want to know where this is coming from...

There's no indication anywhere that this team will go down 17-0 quick... Unless of course you're a Charger homer who believes this game will end somewhere in the 52-3 range...

Only New England blew our doors off and they did it moving the chains with Welker...

Sorry but San Diego has nothing even remotely similar to Welker in their arsenal...

They have a shifty back, a goal line back and big physical receivers... Which is exactly what we've been up against all season...

The games we've played and the situations we've been in all point in one direction...

A hard fought, close game...

Indy was like 6 inches away from a big early lead..

NE did it at full strength

NO moved the ball very well 2 our of their first 3 drives and lost 2 drives to sanchez turnovers for TD

This is the type of offense we are facing, at home in the playoffs, it doesn't take being a chargers homer to think it's possible

NO moved the ball very well 2 our of their first 3 drives and lost 2 drives to sanchez turnovers for TD

This is the type of offense we are facing, at home in the playoffs, it doesn't take being a chargers homer to think it's possible

we give up what, 11 point something a game? I refuse to believe we will give the Chargers 17 in the 1st quarter

we give up what, 11 point something a game? I refuse to believe we will give the Chargers 17 in the 1st quarter

All I'm saying is it's possible.. The team and fans are going to be going bonkers early..

My money's on the Jets fwiw

Indy punted on their first possession and were a Bart Scott tripping penalty away from kicking a long FG on their second...

They then held them to a FG on the following drive...

Then a punt... (I believe this was the overthrow to Clark on this drive)

I believe our next possession was the Feely FG...

5 or 6 Indy drives that half... Score could easily be 6-3... But it's 9-3 since we're not counting should have beens... Like the Clark/Wayne missed opportunities...

I hardly call that moving it well...

The NO game is too far back for me to recall lol

Over their 11-game winning streak, the Chargers have outscored opponents, 83-16, in the opening quarter.

I guess this means the first quarter will decide how the game plays out. If San Diego gets a two-possession lead at the end of the quarter, they'll just bully New York around for the rest of the game.

If the Jets can keep it a one-possession game or tied, they can surprise a lot of people by the end of the game. Except us, of course.

I guess this means the first quarter will decide how the game plays out. If San Diego gets a two-possession lead at the end of the quarter, they'll just bully New York around for the rest of the game.

If the Jets can keep it a one-possession game or tied, they can surprise a lot of people by the end of the game. Except us, of course.

i think we have to withstand an early push and then hope that our defense holds up against Rivers late if it's close..

I wouldn't worry about the defense. Playoff football, especially when you start getting past the WC round, generally has defenses that are amped up. During the regular season there are lulls because it's a long campaign, but this is lose and you go home so everyone plays faster and harder and just doesn't tire out.

If the Falcons and Jags games were playoff games, the D probably does not give up those drives at the end. The Jets D will neutralize the Chargers O. They are too good to be shut out, but they'll be held under 20.

As far as the Saints game goes the Jets were about to make it 7-3 in there favor instead of 10-0 Saints if Chez and more importantly schotty don't implode on first and 10 on the saints 13, so I think we can easily play with the Chargers, we can move the ball on them.

As far as Sanchez if he regresses this week has a schitty game it is not that big of a deal in the big picture it will suck this year but not in the big picture. Not 1 QB that I remember even came close to the game that Sanchez had last week in the playoffs, Big Ben in his rookie season handed us the win and then Herm handed it right back. Flacco stunk last year but the Ravens D and running game was good enough to overcome it for 2 games. Ryan threw 2 picks and helped lose the game for the falcons last year. If you want you can even go back to players first ever playoff start not being there rookie year Eli Manning comes to mind he stunk it up in the Giants 26-0 lose to the Panthers, and even last week was Carson Palmers first real playoff game and he stunk it up with the help of the Jets D of course. So I would not be worried about Sanchez's future if he stinks it up this week not even a little bit.

I wouldn't worry about the defense. Playoff football, especially when you start getting past the WC round, generally has defenses that are amped up. During the regular season there are lulls because it's a long campaign, but this is lose and you go home so everyone plays faster and harder and just doesn't tire out.

If the Falcons and Jags games were playoff games, the D probably does not give up those drives at the end. The Jets D will neutralize the Chargers O. They are too good to be shut out, but they'll be held under 20.

Wow this is a complete homer sentence I pray we hold them under 20 points but what makes you think it is possible they have scored over 20 points in a game 23 strait times and that includes games against pitt last year and the Ravens this year. The ideal situation is going to be holding them to 20-24 points that is were it will need to be for us to win IMO.

I don't mean to attack you with this but I was over at the Chargers forums and every single poster over there is 100% confident they can put 30+ up against us which is ridiculous to say no matter what fan you are, just like saying you are confident we can hold them to under 20 points. I am not saying neither will happen but to say you are confident one way or the other is ridiculous to say.

Wow this is a complete homer sentence I pray we hold them under 20 points but what makes you think it is possible they have scored over 20 points in a game 23 strait times and that includes games against pitt last year and the Ravens this year. The ideal situation is going to be holding them to 20-24 points that is were it will need to be for us to win IMO.

I don't mean to attack you with this but I was over at the Chargers forums and every single poster over there is 100% confident they can put 30+ up against us which is ridiculous to say no matter what fan you are, just like saying you are confident we can hold them to under 20 points. I am not saying neither will happen but to say you are confident one way or the other is ridiculous to say.

Thought the same.. The team total is currently 24.5, both sides are abotu equally over confident.

I don't see us shutting them down, so I think 24 sounds about right (provided that Sanchez doesn't toss a few pics)

The Jets average this year is right around 15 points a game, and for the past 5 games it's something like 7 points a game. The Texans and Saints average some ridiculous score, but the Jets D slowed them down.

Why is it ridiculous either way? One offense scores a lot and one defense generally holds other offenses to low scores. You don't just average this stuff, any possibility is possible. That's why games are played. It's also pretty random, but if you want to bet your house on it being 24 points, you have the option to do that (you won't).

The simulation had them held to what, 19 points? The computer is now a homer too?

C'mon man, get out of here with that crap. You're overcompensating here.

Archived