Football Scientist on Throwing the ball at Darrelle Revis

JMJ

Another Football Scientist (Seth Joyner) article about throwing the ball (or at least trying to) at Darrelle Revis. Felt it should have it's own thread as it is unrelated to the other.

Tries to create the argument that "it can be done," but pretty much just proves that Revis is a one-man wrecking crew.

Contrary to popular belief, you can throw on Darrelle Revis; you just have to know how.

Throughout history, explorers have been drawn to do what their fellow man said was impossible. Ferdinand Magellan's expedition circumnavigated the world, Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, Jacques Piccard and Donald Walsh surveyed the Mariana Trench -- all tasks that were at one time considered beyond the realm of achievement but were eventually conquered with guts, ingenuity and technical creativity.

Today's NFL has its own version of the impossible goal -- create a viable pass receiving habitat on Darrelle Revis Island.

Many have tried to establish a beachhead on this atoll but Revis' ridiculously low 3.6 yards per pass attempt (YPA) allowed total this season has kept this isle uninhabited.

Since the Contrarian Thoughts series revolves around the pursuit of counterintuitive information, I decided to take on the seemingly hopeless task of reviewing the game tape to find a way to beat Revis.

I figured the best place to start would be to look at his metrics by route depth for the 2009 season to see if he had a weakness against certain groups of routes. Here are those totals:

Route Depth Att Comp Yds TD Int Pen Pen Yds YPA

Short 46 25 183 1 0 0 0 4.0

Medium 24 7 116 0 1 1 -10 4.2

Deep 12 1 20 0 1 1 -10 0.8

Bomb 15 1 53 1 3 1 5 3.6

Total 97 34 372 2 5 3 -15 3.6

Talk about slamming a door shut. Revis didn't allow more than 4.2 yards per attempt at any route depth. To put that into perspective, consider that the generally accepted YPA mark of excellence on short passes is 5 yards and Revis didn't allow that total on any of the vertical throws.

There were also many route types for which it didn't pay to test Revis. For example, opposing teams threw 17 go routes at No. 24 this season and did not complete a single one of them. Revis was called for a 5-yard penalty on one throw and another, which would have resulted in at least a 20-yard reception, was dropped. Even if those are added in, Revis still gave up only 1.5 yards per attempt on the most dangerous route type on the passing tree.

That wasn't the only route he dominated. Five fade routes netted minus-20 yards due to zero completions allowed and two offensive pass interference penalties drawn by Revis. Ten deep outs gained a meager total of 50 yards. Four hooks gained 12 yards and four comebacks gained 20 yards.

After looking at all of these numbers, I was about to give up and declare this task unachievable, but then I came across a pattern that showed a glimmer of light. Revis has trouble defending routes where the receiver is cutting to the inside and running away from him.

Check out the figures on these two routes to see what I mean.

Crossing routes: Six attempts, four completions, 45 yards gained, 7.5 YPA

Skinny post: Six attempts, two completions, 42 yards gained, 7.0 YPA. This route also saw two drops that would have gained 31 combined yards at the point of the drop. Add those back in and the yardage jumps to 73 yards and the YPA spikes up to 12.2.

Another pass that could be included in this set would be Ted Ginn Jr.'s 53-yard post/go route against Revis in the Week 5 "Monday Night Football" game at Miami.

To be fair, there were some inside routes that didn't gain many yards against Revis. He gave up only 37 yards on 12 slant passes and didn't allow either of the two seam routes directed his way to be completed. Nonetheless, it is worth noting that the combined stat totals for the cross, skinny post and post-go routes were 13 attempts, seven completions and 140 yards. That equates to a 53.8 percent completion rate and 10.7 yards per attempt and doesn't include the two aforementioned drops.

This does indicate a road to success against Revis, but before the Chargers direct their passing attack his way, they should keep in mind the hazards involved with an expedition of this nature. Just as the Apollo 11 mission barely made its landing before running out of fuel (it had only 25 seconds of propulsion left), the San Diego aerial forays could be stopped cold by treading onto this well-guarded archipelago if the Chargers aren't extremely careful.

Sorry JMJ, worst article ever. The guys spends all that time creating a case against Revis, which when reading made me think....damn Revis is good. lol

And then he finishes his case with this gem...

This does indicate a road to success against Revis, but before the Chargers direct their passing attack his way, they should keep in mind the hazards involved with an expedition of this nature. Just as the Apollo 11 mission barely made its landing before running out of fuel (it had only 25 seconds of propulsion left), the San Diego aerial forays could be stopped cold by treading onto this well-guarded archipelago if the Chargers aren't extremely careful.

Sorry JMJ, worst article ever. The guys spends all that time creating a case against Revis, which when reading made me think....damn Revis is good. lol

And then he finishes his case with this gem...

Haha. I wasn't posting this one because I thought it belittled Revis. Should have made that clear. I posted it just for why you said ... shows how freaking dominant this guy is!

After looking at all of these numbers, I was about to give up and declare this task unachievable, but then I came across a pattern that showed a glimmer of light. Revis has trouble defending routes where the receiver is cutting to the inside and running away from him.

Oh God, please keep aec4 away from this thread.

Haha. I wasn't posting this one because I thought it belittled Revis. Should have made that clear. I posted it just for why you said ... shows how freaking dominant this guy is!

Thats what so funny. He's taking the angle that you can throw on Revis, but after reading I'm thinking...man you really cant throw on Revis.

:cheers:

Skinny post: Six attempts, two completions, 42 yards gained, 7.0 YPA. This route also saw two drops that would have gained 31 combined yards at the point of the drop. Add those back in and the yardage jumps to 73 yards and the YPA spikes up to 12.2.

Its been a while since I played cornerback in the NFL(looks at ceiling). So my memory might be rusty, but isn't the corner supposed to take the outside on these routes and get safety help on the inside?

Archived