The Top Ten Best Jets Teams of All Time

SoFlaJets

The 98 Parcells team was far and away the best Jets team I've ever witnessed, and I'm still heartbroken that we never got to see it carried through to fruition. If the Vinny Achilles tear wasn't the definition of life as a Jets fan...

What they did in '98 was amazing. Parcells went from worst to first (almost) in a hurry. Sucks that it ended the way it did. Kind of shocking actually.

What they did in '98 was amazing. Parcells went from worst to first (almost) in a hurry. Sucks that it ended the way it did. Kind of shocking actually.

I still have Post-traumatic stress from seeing Vinny crumple to the turf the next season. I knew right there that Parcells started packing a bag.

Being 21, '98 was definitely the best team I've seen followed by 2004, 2002, 2008 and 2009. Yes, I know we didn't make the playoffs last season, but that team was better than the 2006 club.

Its crazy to think 2009 is already on that list, just because of that losing 6 of 7 in the middle of the season thing killed a lot of our spirits. Luckily, they've turned around and won 6 of their last 7 since then.

The 98 Parcells team was far and away the best Jets team I've ever witnessed, and I'm still heartbroken that we never got to see it carried through to fruition. If the Vinny Achilles tear wasn't the definition of life as a Jets fan...

I agree, and I'd put the '99 Ray Lucas Jets on the list ahead of some of these playoff teams. The '74 team that started 1-7 to finish 7-7 was a lot like this year's Titans, and probably could've beaten any Herm or Mangini coached team rather handily.

I was creaming for them to put Rick frickin Mirer in that game-I thought HE was gonna lead us to the promised land-shows how much I know about football. Tom Tupa baby. The thing is Ray Lucas was a dropped pass in the end zone from getting us to the playoffs that year. It was heroic effort. Remember Keyshawn Johnson slamming the podium in frustration?

Here's that roster; http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/1999-nyj

on edit I meant to write SCREAMING-not creaming...

I was creaming for them to put Rick frickin Mirer in that game-I thought HE was gonna lead us to the promised land-shows how much I know about football. Tom Tupa baby. The thing is Ray Lucas was a dropped pass in the end zone from getting us to the playoffs that year. It was heroic effort. Remember Keyshawn Johnson slamming the podium in frustration?

Here's that roster; http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/1999-nyj

Ray Lucas should have been the starting QB from Week 2 on. If he was, we would've been in the postseason, at least.

Its crazy to think 2009 is already on that list, just because of that losing 6 of 7 in the middle of the season thing killed a lot of our spirits. Luckily, they've turned around and won 6 of their last 7 since then.

Alooooooot of 6-10 flops in this franchise's history, brother. This year's team deserves credit for getting off the mat like it did. Too many Jets teams of the past would have turned out the lights at 4-6. That's probably the most encouraging thing about this team, that it hasn't embraced its myriad built-in excuses. All credit to Rex.

I agree, and I'd put the '99 Ray Lucas Jets on the list ahead of some of these playoff teams. The '74 team that started 1-7 to finish 7-7 was a lot like this year's Titans, and probably could've beaten any Herm or Mangini coached team rather handily.

Definitely, although I think we have to give Mangini credit for the tough rebuild he had to do after Herm drove the team into the ground. Alot of the guys we have now became players under Mangini. Yes, he was a douche, but he did start a culture shift here.

The 81 team should probably be in the top five.

It was the birth of the Sack Exchange.

It was their playoff appearence since 1969

They were probably playing some of the best football in the league at playoff time. They just made a ton of mistakes in that game and they nearly pulled it out of the fire.

imo,you need to include the 1999 jets season as well.parcells made a big mistake that year having no back up qb.they tried the rick mirer experiment and failed miserably.then they go with ray lucas and go 6 and 2 and fail to make the play offs by 1 game.the 99 jets were the best team in football at the end of the year.i have little doubt that if they puledl the plug on mirer earlier than later,lucas leads the jets to the super bowl.the 99 jets were much better than the 98 jets with the exception of qb.

how sad is our history that the 06' season is in our top 10.

The 86' season was easily the most heartbreaking for me.

And their best season in my lifetime, 98', I was in the navy and out on a mediteranean cruise and missed from December on.

God owes me a long run this year, I've suffered enough.

The 1986 team was outscored by its opponents (Jets 364, opponents 386).

There was a four way tie for the two wild card spots.

Jets 10-6

Chiefs 10-6

Bengals 10-6

Seahawks 10-6

The Jets won the first wild card based on the best conference record (Jets 8-4, KC 9-5, SEA 7-5, CIN 7-5). KC was the second wild card for the same reason.

The Jets lost to Cincinnati late in the season by a score of 52-21. The Bengals were clearly playing better football down the stretch.

The Chiefs had great special teams play in 1986. They were not a particularly good offensive or defensive team. Also, the players did not like the head coach. The Jets beat them in the Wild Card game and John Mackovic was fired the next day if I recall correctly.

Crazy. 86 was the year I really started getting into sports as a kid. I barely remember it. I remember players, plays, going to a couple of game (the whole experience), but dont remember the games all that much. Just remember thinking that being a sports fan in NY was awesome. The Mets won the WS, the Jets were good (i thought Kenny O was a god) and I wont lie, I loved Little Joe Morris and LT.

Anywho, the best Jets team of my time was the 98 team, no doubt. 04 was damn good too, but 98 was the best.

The funny thing is this team IMO is just as talented and probably more talented than 04. This team is just lacking the veteran QB presence and a SB winning HC. Hopefully the rookie's are really coming into their own at the right time and have a long successful future. :thumbup:

how sad is our history that the 06' season is in our top 10.

The 86' season was easily the most heartbreaking for me.

And their best season in my lifetime, 98', I was in the navy and out on a mediteranean cruise and missed from December on.

God owes me a long run this year, I've suffered enough.

thats exactly what this list made me think. how sad is our history that 2009 in already on that list.......and it deserves to be there....that's the really sad part.

this list should explain the clear age division of optimism VS SOJ mind set around here

you youngens are spoiled ;)

for me the jets and playoffs only meant losing in weird fashion (gast roughing and mud bowl, 4 TO's vs pats*) or not getting even close to playing meaningful games in december (notice the big gap between '86 and '98)

Im not really sure how they can rate 2004 over 2002. Even though we got beaten up by the Raiders we won the division that year and moreso than that were considered the 2nd best team in the AFC. When we played Oakland I think the talk basically was that the winner of the game was going to the Super Bowl. In 2004 we would have gotten our doors blown off by the Pats in the championship game had we pulled off the upset.

Id put 2001, 1981 and even 1991 over the 2006 team. 91 was a hard luck team, but they had a pretty good offense and defense.

Archived