Rex Ryan is already a success IMO

lancemehl

We all took a shot at him at some time.How could you not? After our long line of failure HC's.

When we were 4-6 with no Kris Jenkins and a rookie QB throwing 3 picks a game, everyone here thought it was over. I sure did. Then Rex Ryan pulled off the biggest magic trick I've even seen. The defense, with Pouha starting at DT(OUCH!) and all but eliminated from the playoffs didn't start giving up 300 yards rushing every week, like we were used to..........instead, they galvonized and finished as the #1 defense in the league. That shows me he is a defensive guru like his old man. Props to pettine,too,i guess, but.........

Rex came as advertised. There's no quit in this defense.

On a side note, props to Tanny for some big moves like moving up to get the best CB in the league and for building a steamroller offensive line. The environment couldn't be better for Sanchez. Jones and Greene are running hard(Green's basically on fresh legs) behind these monsters. That sets up the play action screens and those quick slants.

#1 defense and punishing running game(did i mention tony richardson).Who wants that draw in the postseason?

I feel really good about today, I think Rivers will have a long evening.

Jets 21-13

POTWN. Great post!

I totally agree on Rex, and to add to it the one thing he did that Eric and Herm didn't do was learn from his mistakes. Where Herm (clock management) and Eric (general stubbornness) just kept baning their heads against the wall, Rex seemingly really attacked the issues he had early on and ot better at them. And that they actually got better AFTER Jenkins went down is maybe the most amazing magic trick I've ever seen in coaching.

I am holding out praising Tanny just yet: This upcoming off-season is the most crucial one in his career. The Jets are on the brink of being a very, very good team if Tannenbaum and the scouting staff can get us a few key players this Spring. If he lands the safety, the pass-rusher and the receiver this team needs, then I'll be completely sold.

Rex has done a great job as a Defensive Coordinator this season and a decent job as HC. The Jets didn't win 1 single close game this year and some of that has to fall on the HC.

Vs. Buffalo with all of the Sanchez int's Rex can't just leave it to schott/sanchez

vs Miami gave up game winning TD drive, defense withered, didn't use TO's

vs. Miami 2nd time - back to back returns for TD's - no adjustments

vs. Jax - another 4th quarter meltdown

I love Rex, but at some point if the Jets want to be an elite team they will need to win the close games. If the Jets win the 4 games above and the Falcons game then this game today would be at HOME.

Hopefully this was a huge learning year and starting today the Jets win a close one.

so true LM...what we see from Ryan that we HAVEN'T seen since Belichick was our DC is in-game defensive adjustments. There was a great article I posted yesterday about just that;how Ryan IS actually a defensive genius the way he fixes things on the fly and his defensive assistants Pettine and Thurman just sit there and say "um oKAY" and much to their amazement most of the time it works.

You mention Pohau-perfect example of a JAG that Ryan turned into a somebody. Every single one of us would watch him get turned around in Mangini's system and say this guy is a bust-Ryan has changed so much around here.

Rex has done a great job as a Defensive Coordinator this season and a decent job as HC. The Jets didn't win 1 single close game this year and some of that has to fall on the HC.

Vs. Buffalo with all of the Sanchez int's Rex can't just leave it to schott/sanchez

vs Miami gave up game winning TD drive, defense withered, didn't use TO's

vs. Miami 2nd time - back to back returns for TD's - no adjustments

vs. Jax - another 4th quarter meltdown

I love Rex, but at some point if the Jets want to be an elite team they will need to win the close games. If the Jets win the 4 games above and the Falcons game then this game today would be at HOME.

Hopefully this was a huge learning year and starting today the Jets win a close one.

I'm not thinking about the future, I'm thinking about today. This is a different Jets team than the one we saw in the fall. It took a minor miracle for us to even lose that Falcons game.

so true LM...what we see from Ryan that we HAVEN'T seen since Belichick was our DC is in-game defensive adjustments. There was a great article I posted yesterday about just that;how Ryan IS actually a defensive genius the way he fixes things on the fly and his defensive assistants Pettine and Thurman just sit there and say "um oKAY" and much to their amazement most of the time it works.

You mention Pohau-perfect example of a JAG that Ryan turned into a somebody. Every single one of us would watch him get turned around in Mangini's system and say this guy is a bust-Ryan has changed so much around here.

That's my point SoFla, Rex has to transition from genius DC to genius HC. I think he is getting there but isn't there yet. For the Jets to win the Super Bowl they need offense, defense, and special teams.

Rex has to take the same passion he has for the defense and apply it to the whole team. If something on Offense isn't working he needs to tell Schott to try something else - before Sanchez throws 5 int's. If they give up a kickoff return for a TD, he needs to make sure it doesn't happen again.

and in related news, mark mcgwire used steriods

back to you jane

Sorry Larz, you're right, it's not ground reaking news, but It's something I felt like saying.It's not often i think we have as good a chance as anyone to win the SB in January,so I'm enjoying the feeling while it's there. lol

Hey, I threw in a score prediction. Do Iget points if that hits?

If something on Offense isn't working he needs to tell Schott to try something else - before Sanchez throws 5 int's. If they give up a kickoff return for a TD, he needs to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I that's exactly what happened. He knew Sanchez was throwing picks so what did he do?

He got a tall reciever who could get the jump ball, but much more important, he inserted the "Alan Fanaca " rushing attack. The one Alan ran in Pittsburgh,but with a new monster O-line. He lifted the stable door on Shonn Green and we started pounding away behind Tony Richardson. We established a great running game so Sanchez has the world off his shoulders and he can use the play action effectively, he can dump it off to the RB behind pro bowl led screens.

Then, to top it off, he brings out the wildcat with Brad Smith, who hasbeen very effectiveand can stop and fire at any time.

Same OC, I have to think Rex is having an impact on the whole team!

This is a different Jets team, even if we lose.

I that's exactly what happened. He knew Sanchez was throwing picks so what did he do?

He got a tall reciever who could get the jump ball, but much more important, he inserted the "Alan Fanaca " rushing attack. The one Alan ran in Pittsburgh,but with a new monster O-line. He lifted the stable door on Shonn Green and we started pounding away behind Tony Richardson. We established a great running game so Sanchez has the world off his shoulders and he can use the play action effectively, he can dump it off to the RB behind pro bowl led screens.

Then, to top it off, he brings out the wildcat with Brad Smith, who hasbeen very effectiveand can stop and fire at any time.

Same OC, I have to think Rex is having an impact on the whole team!

This is a different Jets team, even if we lose.

not to mention how his getting involved in the offensive meeting has helped Brian Schottenheimer. He has given Schotty confidence by being amazed at what he and the staff draw up IN thos offense meetings. He obviously likes him too and since the color-coding deal has been implemented they have all gotten on the same page, instead of Brian taking all the blame when things go wrong.

Archived