My Mom is writing CBS about Simms!

GREENLANTERN

Oh, and Simms was awesome today. Called a very good game and refrained from the second guessing that other announcers do. Funny how the game ended on a 4th and 1 that would have never happened if the Chargers had kicked away as Simms originally suggested. Capped off a very good broadcast for Simms.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil Simms has great day in booth calling New York Jets win over San Diego Chargers

Bob Raissman

The Jets had gone three-and-out for the third straight time. Phil Simms expressed surprise. It had nothing to do with Gang Green's lack of offensive efficiency.

"I thought the players would be more chippy because of the talking that went on this week," said Simms, with no score in the second quarter of Jets-Chargers.

"Can a quarterback be chippy?" Jim Nantz asked. "You seem like a chippy guy."

Chippy? Feisty is a more apt description. Working the Jets' stunning 17-14 win on CBS Sunday, Simms was as aggressive as the Jets' defense, first-guessing with flair throughout the game. His opinions were pointed and original. After all the analysis leading up to the contest, he was still able to come off fresh.

Simms even got into it with Nantz, who turned in a first-rate performance himself, not only delivering typical smooth play-by-play but also setting up Simms in a four-quarter lesson in broadcast chemistry. Jets-Chargers was the exception in a weekend of divisional duds. The work of Nantz and Simms made this thriller even more compelling.

Now, Simms has two shots left. Sunday's Jets-Colts AFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl. He will be hard-pressed to top what he did yesterday. Guess he'll show up, right?

Simms, like most other analysts, comes to the booth prepared, knowing what to expect in terms of strategy. It's how these mouths yak on the fly. That's what makes a guy stand out. Most of them can have a good day. Simms was a lot better than good.

In the second quarter, after the Chargers challenged a "fumble" by wideout Malcom Floyd that was recovered by the Jets after he was hammered by safety Jim Leonhard, Simms emphatically said the ruling on the field should stand.

"That's going to be a catch and a fumble," he said.

Following the replay, Nantz challenged Simms' take on the play. What transpired was an unusual debate. Unusual because viewers rarely hear a play-by-play voice and an analyst disagree, at least publicly.

"I thought he (Floyd) had to take it (the ball) all the way to the ground," Nantz said. Almost on cue, the referee overturned the call, ruling it an incomplete pass.

"First of all, Jim, you don't have to take it to the ground unless you're under contact," Simms said.

"Wasn't that contact?" Nantz asked, skeptically. "The guy (Leonhard) came in and had his helmet knocked off."

The voices continued this back-and-forth, but cut it off before the debate became distracting.

After all, this wasn't just another game.

Simms made that point clear during a not-so-veiled critique on how inflexible NFL officials can be. In the fourth quarter, after Vincent Jackson caught a long Philip Rivers sideline pass at the Jets' 20, Rex Ryan challenged the play, contending the receiver did not have both feet in bounds

Jackson "kicked" Ryan's challenge flag and got hit with a personal foul. Nantz called Jackson's action "dumb."

Again, Simms disagreed.

"I'm not going to call it dumb. Sometimes you've got to look the other way," Simms said. "Think about where this game is, the season, what it stands for. 17-7 and he (Jackson) just went over and barely kicked it. ... I would've let it go."

In a critical moment, after the Chargers had pulled within three with 2:14 left in the fourth quarter, Simms immediately said he would not attempt an on-sides kick. After Norv Turner had Mike Scifres do just that (Kerry Rhodes recovered the pop-up kick for the Jets) Simms followed up quickly, elaborating.

Simms said the Chargers, with one timeout and the two-minute warning, didn't have to sacrifice field position.

And Simms wasted no time with the Jets facing a fourth-and-short with a chance to put the game on ice, saying: "I would go for it. Win the game right here."

Simms and Nantz were backed by solid production work. CBS kept the crowd shots (it did give us a few too many looks at the respective team owners) to a minimum, but went into the stands at times when crowd noise could have an impact on the Jets' offense.

The crew also provided an omen of sorts. When Nate Kaeding came on the field in the first quarter to attempt a 36-yard field goal, CBS aired a graphic saying the kicker had "made 67 straight field goal attempts inside the 40-yard line," with his "last miss" coming in "2007." Kaeding proceeded to miss the FG and two more attempts during the game.

Fortunately, the CBS telecast was not affected adversely when "The NFL Today" host James Brown threw it to "Jim Nantz and Phil Simms standing by in Chicago."

Anyway, at least the NFL, with its over-hyped, over-analyzed playoffs, got one decent game whose outcome was still in doubt at halftime. Now, the Jets have become enough of a story to go national.

If Simms and Nantz tell it like they did Sunday, the audience should like what it hears.

Seriously, I talked to my Mom on the phone during(big plays) in the game and after the game. And she is livid at that guy who calls himself an announcer. All he did the whole game is root for the chargers. He has always done that(except when Parcells was here) when he commentates(if you can call it that) against the Jets. I am so sick of hearing this guy when I watch football. His ineptitude to be unbiased is really sickening. He fits in perfectly with the main stream media.

You got your mother to write a note for you?

Is your last name Epstein? ;)

Yes, Simms definitely supported Jackson kicking the flag. He said he didn't understand how it could be a penalty. Well, f him. If someone did that to Bellicheat or Indy's coach, it would have been totally unacceptable.

That Papa John's commercial with Ted Ginn - WTF? As soon as I saw that, I said well there goes the whole NYC/NJ metro area NOT ordering Papa John's pizza. Domino's ftw.

The way I looked at that penalty was I'll take it but if they called it on the Jets in that spot, I would be in a rage. Abolutely livid. So, I understood what Simms was saying.

Sims did not "support" Jackson kicking the flag. He said he thought sometimes the refs should look the other way. I thought so too, but based on the fact that he kicked it at the Jets sideline and we don't know what he said it's hard to say. Could go either way. If they made that call against the Jets there would be dozens of threads about how the league hates the Jets. Same with the headbutt. Yeah the guy headbutted D'Brick, but D'Brick was going after him at the time. Could have been a no call and Simms sure said that was warranted.

What-----------:confused:

You'd prefer Dan Dierdorf or Theisman? Are you ****ing kidding? I'd prefer Simms and then Collingsworth to anybody else these days and I don't even care if they root for the other team.

How can anyone say the Refs should look the other way at a player KICKING the challenge flag? Thats completely disrespectful and a bad show of sportsmanship. IMO it is on the same par as say throwing the ball at another player after the play is over as to say "go f yourself"

Kicking the flag at the bench may be like throwing the ball at somebody. I think Simms point was that the guy just flicked the flag. I thought he was doing it to say "go ahead and ****ing challenge, I caught it." I think the proximity to the Jets bench is what got the flag. Disrespectful doesn't always equal 15 yards.

Kicking the flag at the bench may be like throwing the ball at somebody. I think Simms point was that the guy just flicked the flag. I thought he was doing it to say "go ahead and ****ing challenge, I caught it." I think the proximity to the Jets bench is what got the flag. Disrespectful doesn't always equal 15 yards.

I think Simms would have been right if the flag was thrown at VJ's feet, or nearby him. In reality, VJ turned around, walked towards the flag, and kicked it back at Rex.

That is unsportsmanlike conduct.

I think Simms would have been right if the flag was thrown at VJ's feet, or nearby him. In reality, VJ turned around, walked towards the flag, and kicked it back at Rex.

That is unsportsmanlike conduct.

That's my point. That's what Simms acted like happened. I didn't agree with him, but he wasn't saying the guy could kick the flag back at Rex without a flag. Even considering what happened I've seen worse let go. The little pop Cromartie gave Greene was probably "unsportsmanlike" too.

That's my point. That's what Simms acted like happened. I didn't agree with him, but he wasn't saying the guy could kick the flag back at Rex without a flag. Even considering what happened I've seen worse let go. The little pop Cromartie gave Greene was probably "unsportsmanlike" too.

I thought that the Jackson penalty was BS and I wouldn't have thrown the flag if I was the ref. Ditto with the "pop" from Cromartie.

It really pisses me off that the Cromartie shot wasn't flagged. It was completely uncalled for and you can potentially hurt a guy doing dumbass crap like that.

On the Jackson flag-kicking incident, I think the reason the penalty was called was because Jackson turned around and went out of his way and made a show of kicking the flag. Had the flag been thrown in front of Jackson and he kicked it as he walked by, I don't think we see a penalty there.

Seriously? From my POV, Cromartie barely grazed him.

Didn't think this was so bad either. Cromartie was much faster than anyone else in the picture, looked like he was trying to make a play, gaining on him, and when Greene stopped, crashed into him a bit.

Greene didn't seem to even notice.

Seriously? From my POV, Cromartie barely grazed him.

That's really not the point. Greene was in the end zone for a good 10 seconds already and Cromartie clearly threw his shoulder into him. That's completely unnecessary and if you let an illiterate punk like Cromartie to get away with crap like that, who knows what he does next?

It was bush league and should have been flagged.

the call that SHOULD have been called, and I saw it a dozen times this morning was Shaun Merriman holding onto Dustin Keller's jersey on the TD pass-Lito got flagged on the same deal but Merriman's was actually a little more blatant-no once was that mentioned

Simms called it straight, if anything complain about him getting our players wrong.

E. Smith and J. Leonard are two different players, just saying...

Funny you mention this. During the pregame and halftime shows yesterday, Cowher kept referring to Sedrick Ellis of the Saints as "Shaun Ellis." He did it 3 or 4 times.

Somebody at CBS has to do a better job of prepping these guys.

Funny you mention this. During the pregame and halftime shows yesterday, Cowher kept referring to Sedrick Ellis of the Saints as "Shaun Ellis." He did it 3 or 4 times.

Tell me about it, I caught that too.

Hey ESPN had a Chargers vs. Colts AFC Championship graphic, and CBS also had a Rivers vs. Peyton one up at half time, how'd that work out? :cheers:

My favorite was Charlie Casserly calling LaDainian, "LaDainiaL." He did it a couple times as well.

If you watch the replay of the play for the back instead of the side, he measures his shot and lays a weak elbow into his shoulder area.

Definitely, a solid 5 yards into the endzone as well.

But the LT mock was classic, so we had the last laugh.

You'd prefer Dan Dierdorf or Theisman? Are you ****ing kidding? I'd prefer Simms and then Collingsworth to anybody else these days and I don't even care if they root for the other team.

Simms is pretty good, Collinsworth is terrible

Archived