Who do the football gods want to win?

Boozer76

I was watching some sports show analysis last night and couldn't help but chuckle at the drastic contrast between the Jets and the other 3 teams still alive in the playoffs. On one side you have 3 teams that are the model of what the NFL wants a top tier team to looks like; Pass heavy offenses that benefit greatly from the pussification of the coverage rules and QB protection rules. They score alot of points and do it with alot of finesse and flash. Then you have the Jets. The Jets hold true to the "commandments" of football. The laws written by the gods themselves stating you win the game with defense and a strong running game. You win the game by smacking your opponent in the mouth and doing it again and again until you break their will.

The NFL today is completely dismissing the commandments of the game. They are selling out the gods of the game as relics of a time gone by. What would guys like Lombardi say to the style of play they would see today? It wouldn't even look like football to them.....except for the Jets. The Jets are the last team standing that honors the men of the past and still clings to the bible of football. They are the last thread of hope to show the world that the game is not going the way of the ***** and can still be won by ugly, hard working men who want to get dirty and leave their hearts on the field.

I submit to you fellow Jets fans, our New York Jets revolutionized the game of football by winning SB III and closing the gap between the AFC and the NFC. Now is the time we preserve the game of football and protect it from becoming a shell of its former self by proving that the commandments of football still hold true today. The football gods are on our side this time!

I'm speaking the religion of football.

I was saying it for the last couple of weeks here and in the house how refreshing it is to be able to still watch old school NFL football and not have to be subjected to what the NBA turned into...run and gun ariel attacks last one with the ball wins crap. Bart Scott's basketball analogies are spot on...

Great post Booz. Interesting how the Jets helped revolutionize the game and 40 years later they are going old school on dat ass.

It really is quite ironic. The Ravens and Bucs were the last true ground and pound SB winners. You could argue PIT was during their first SB appearance, but only because they didn't want Big Ben making mistakes back then. Even now PIT is a predominantly aerial offense. It's clear Rex never wants to be an aerial team. His design is to run the ball and play defense and have his QB be capable of making plays hen needed. This team is being built like the 85 Bears, the 86 Giants, etc. It's also why I honestly believe Rex when he said he would choose the Jets if given the chance to coach any team in the playoffs going in. He loves the dynamic of this team. Honestly, I think every coach of football past would agree with him wholeheartedly.

Great post, Boozer.

It's ironic that, in a sense, the K-Gun Buffalo Bills lost the war (in losing 4 straight SBs), but won the peace by ushering in the pass-happy era and a bunch of K-Gun Bills cloans.

That Bills team, even with Thurman Thomas, was pass-first with a bend-but-don't break defense that emphasises sacking the QB.

That's pretty much what the Colts, Saints, Vikings, Chargers, and Pats are. But, of course, the K-Gun Bills lost to 3 true smashmouth teams (Giants, Redskins, Cowboys).

And, the Jets are the last of the smashmouth teams in the playoffs (and one of the last in the whole NFL).

It really is quite ironic. The Ravens and Bucs were the last true ground and pound SB winners. You could argue PIT was during their first SB appearance, but only because they didn't want Big Ben making mistakes back then. Even now PIT is a predominantly aerial offense. It's clear Rex never wants to be an aerial team. His design is to run the ball and play defense and have his QB be capable of making plays hen needed. This team is being built like the 85 Bears, the 86 Giants, etc. It's also why I honestly believe Rex when he said he would choose the Jets if given the chance to coach any team in the playoffs going in. He loves the dynamic of this team. Honestly, I think every coach of football past would agree with him wholeheartedly.

The Jets traded to #5 in the draft for a QB, then followed up on that by trading for Braylon Edwards during the season. Rex and Tanny know you win in this league by throwing the football, and he'll do a lot more of it as his QB grows - and his confidence grows in him.

I'm sure he never wants to be the Colts or Chargers with bottom of the league rushing numbers, but I'm also sure he understands that sitting at the bottom of the league in passing offense is no way to consistently win, either. This has been a QB driven league since the days of Sammy Baugh, but never moreso than today.

Trust me, God doesn't like pussies!

Well, that explains the immaculate conception.

Mary: "Take me now you sexy beast!" (Drops robe revealing her lovely lady lumps.)

God: "Eeeew. Yucky!"

Mary: (Blushes.)

God: "Abra Cadabra!!!" (To the tune of Final Countdown.)

The Jets traded to #5 in the draft for a QB, then followed up on that by trading for Braylon Edwards during the season. Rex and Tanny know you win in this league by throwing the football, and he'll do a lot more of it as his QB grows - and his confidence grows in him.

I'm sure he never wants to be the Colts or Chargers with bottom of the league rushing numbers, but I'm also sure he understands that sitting at the bottom of the league in passing offense is no way to consistently win, either. This has been a QB driven league since the days of Sammy Baugh, but never moreso than today.

Slats and his @#%$* facts.

Well....trading for Sanchez was obviously a necessity. I think the FO saw that Clemens was not the man and decided to make a bold move and get a guy that can be the offensive leader. I really think Braylon was not so much to become a juggernaut passing offene, but to take the pressure off the run game by at least forcing some respect for the passing game. Not to mention Braylon's blocking abilities as well. I think going forward as Sanchez progresses, Ryan's ultimate vision is to have the number 1 rushing offense with "Phil Simms" type of QB play from Sanchez going forward.

That had a good ESPN.com video on the AFC East blog between Tom Jackson & Trent Dilfer about this point, tangentially.

Tom Jackson called this AFC title game and the contrasting style: "A battle for the soul of the game"

Archived