how about first downs...?

gg

ok. i am doing my best not to get totally in a frenzy and i am taking deep breaths....

i know "defense wins championships" ( where is that delightful poster, anyway? :D)

BUT

last week we had a problem moving those chains.. when did we get our 2nd first down? was it in the end of the 2nd quarter?

yep.. i know we won the game...

but is anyone else worried about our lack of first downs last week?

ok. i am doing my best not to get totally in a frenzy and i am taking deep breaths....

i know "defense wins championships" ( where is that delightful poster, anyway? :D)

BUT

last week we had a problem moving those chains.. when did we get our 2nd first down? was it in the end of the 2nd quarter?

Last I checked, football is scored with points.

I expect the Jets to have the same gameplan this week, for better or worse. Obviously not getting first downs isn't really a part of it, but that's something they'll be willing to risk as they try to establish their dominant running game - and punish their defensive front in the process. No turnovers and decent punts need to be part of the equation. Jets will want to lengthen the field for the Colts, and shorten the game at the same time - even if it's Indy's offense on the field taking the time off the clock.

If the Jets can keep it close for the first half (i.e.: no Ravens-like halftime meltdowns), they'll have Indy right where they want them. It's no coincidence that the Jets broke off that big run late in the game against SD.

So try not to get too frustrated early, there's a method to their blandness.

BUT

It is only a problem if the Jets D can't stop the Colts early.

In both games the Jets have been able to withstand the Bengals and the Chargers initial flurry and were able to stabilize the game and then take control of the game with their running attack.

If the Colts jump out early, say 10 or 17 zip then it could be a long day.

The Jets need to get that running game cranked up early and keep Manning and that offense off the field.

Manning is almost invincible in the 2-minute offense, so I wouldn't say the defense had a meltdown.

No, their offense did. By calling three pass plays with less than two minutes to go in the half with the ball on their side of the field. God knows the Jets won't do that.

BUT

When Greene started getting the ball.

It's damn important because it keeps the defense off the field. We aren't so far removed from what seemed to be a lifetime of Chad Pennington 3 and outs that we should forget what it's like to have the D dog dead tired from being on the field all game.

If Rex and Pettine can put together an adjustment plan like they did against Flippy and the Bolts - we should be in good shape - the offense is still needing to move the chains and Shotty's abilty to master plan that is the only thing that scares me about Sunday.

The Jets have been winning because they force teams into third and long situations - which plays into their strength. That's when they put a ton of pressure on the qb - something a team can do when they have an elite shut-down corner. Who cares about first downs.....the Jets play pound the run game (and mix in some play action) which eventually wears down the oppositions defense. That's when they get their first downs. This strategy has worked for three weeks now. No need to stop now.

The Jets have been winning because they force teams into third and long situations - which plays into their strength. That's when they put a ton of pressure on the qb - something a team can do when they have an elite shut-down corner. Who cares about first downs.....the Jets play pound the run game (and mix in some play action) which eventually wears down the oppositions defense. That's when they get their first downs. This strategy has worked for three weeks now. No need to stop now.

You are learning the game quite well, maybe you could teach Jif a thing or two

Archived