Safety Razor Shaving

Vicious89x

I have recently picked up shaving old school with a DE or Safety razor. I was wondering if anyone else on the board uses one of these bad boys and had any recommendations for soaps/creams. This is my razor. I love it, I used to only be able to shave once a week with an electric or Mach 3 fusion whatever. My neck would look like hamburger meat from the irritation. Now I shave daily and no irritation and the wife is loving the smoothness.

HR_401-015-00_Merkur_33C_Classic_Safety_Razor2.jpg

I don't but I'd like to. I remember my dad using one of these and had a wee brush to froth up the foam and use the brush to put the foam on his face. I always thought they'd rip you to shreds!

I only shave once a week and keep a little "scratch" (that's what my daughter calls it, Daddy's scratch). Basically a very small beard.

I say try an old school barbers for help on the best foams/creams etc.

I don't but I'd like to. I remember my dad using one of these and had a wee brush to froth up the foam and use the brush to put the foam on his face. I always thought they'd rip you to shreds!

I only shave once a week and keep a little "scratch" (that's what my daughter calls it, Daddy's scratch). Basically a very small beard.

I say try an old school barbers for help on the best foams/creams etc.

The crazy part is that razor is 10x easier on my face than those Mach 3's! I was honestly only able to shave once a week with that thing, cause otherwise I'd get severe razor burn and ingrowns.

Now, every day and my shaves are even closer. And as Matt said he hates doing it. I love it, making the lather and using the brush, I dunno, it's relaxing and I do it everyday.

The crazy part is that razor is 10x easier on my face than those Mach 3's! I was honestly only able to shave once a week with that thing, cause otherwise I'd get severe razor burn and ingrowns.

Now, every day and my shaves are even closer. And as Matt said he hates doing it. I love it, making the lather and using the brush, I dunno, it's relaxing and I do it everyday.

What kind of shaving cream do you use?

Have you guys just not hit puberty or do you have jobs that dont require you to shave? Once a week?

I shave every day and I hate it just a little more every time I wake up.

My school doesn't give out detention or anything for having a beard, so I shave when I have time at night (not often with the amount of work!), when I'm not tired, or when it starts to annoy me. I like to shave a lot so it grows thicker. \:D/

Plus it smells 10x better than the canned stuff IMO. I really enjoy it, it's an odd thing to have started but I'm loving it. Plus overall it's cheaper than the cartridges.

The cartridges are the biggest heist since the Dutch bought Manhattan for some beads.

Here's my shaving advice: leave the shaving cream on your face for as long as possible. I put it on right out of the shower and then I brush my teeth with it on, take a crap if I have to, put on deodorant, anything I can do to use up the time. If I'm in a rush I will put my pants and shoes on with the stuff still on my face.

I know I look stupid sitting on the can with shaving cream on my face, but leaving it on for as long as possible helps. It cuts down on the damage to your skin when you finally do shave.

• 3 months later...
Just picked up a double edged safety razor- Merkur Progress its called. Been using for about a month now...its changed my life. What a difference.

Nice!! What blades are you using it in them? I have settled in with the Feathers. My beard is insanely thick/coarse, and those bad boys slice the hairs right off. I'm also a big fan of the DS Arlington soaps, which is my everyday soap.

You only get better with time too.

Nice!! What blades are you using it in them? I have settled in with the Feathers. My beard is insanely thick/coarse, and those bad boys slice the hairs right off. I'm also a big fan of the DS Arlington soaps, which is my everyday soap.

You only get better with time too.

I've still been using the blades that came with the razor. They are Merkur blades...I've read about Feathers, might try those next.

I picked up Jack Black shaving cream and a brush from the Art of Shaving...been using that...seems to work pretty decently.

Im still a newbie, im probably doing some things wrong. But the difference has been amazing.

There are some places that sell it "in-store" where do you live? I know here they sell it in one of those fancy knife shops.

I was under the impression that outside of some progressive art pieces, you can find anything in NY that you can find in Portland.

Non wise-ass answer: Nassau County

I was under the impression that outside of some progressive art pieces, you can find anything in NY that you can find in Seattle.

Non wise-ass answer: Nassau County

Ah, dude if you just try and find some old school barber shops in the city you can find stuff in there. Honestly though reading up on the stuff on-line is the best option. I'd recommend my razor but I got little hands. I can see how a taller guy with bigger hands wouldn't like it. Razors aren't that expensive. Mine was like 30.

Ah, dude if you just try and find some old school barber shops in the city you can find stuff in there. Honestly though reading up on the stuff on-line is the best option. I'd recommend my razor but I got little hands. I can see how a taller guy with bigger hands wouldn't like it. Razors aren't that expensive. Mine was like 30.

I got small hands, smell like cabbage.

I'll look into them on the ol' world wide web.

I got small hands, smell like cabbage.

I'll look into them on the ol' world wide web.

This is mine. I love it. It's shorter and has some weight to it to make it feel balanced. The textured grip feels good too so it feels secure in your fingers. If you're actually serious about checking this stuff out here's a link to the razor itself

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merkur-34C-Heavy-Duty-Safety-Razor_p_31.html

I'd also get the "Blade sample packs" from that same website. Half the battle is finding a blade that suits your face. It sounds nuts but each blade is a big difference from one another. The sampler gives you a few of some of the big brands and you can find what works.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Sample-Packs_c_1.html

And finally, watch some of this guys youtube videos. It'll teach you a lot and will hopefully prevent you from massacring your face. He has TON. I'd check out the basic shaving one and how to build a lather. The other 50% of the battle is learning how to build a good lather.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

As long as the irritation goes away I'm all for it.

I shave everyday/every other. Zero irritation. Meanwhile I used the Mach 3's only once a week cause that's all my face could handle. And like Matt said, you'll be blown away how close the shave gets (once you get your technique down)

As long as the irritation goes away I'm all for it.

That too. It took a while for my skin to get used to it, but its a lot better. The first shave there was some blood.

I also bought a pen the closes up any nicks or cuts on the spot.

I've still been using the blades that came with the razor. They are Merkur blades...I've read about Feathers, might try those next.

I picked up Jack Black shaving cream and a brush from the Art of Shaving...been using that...seems to work pretty decently.

Im still a newbie, im probably doing some things wrong. But the difference has been amazing.

Check out the videos I posted to Jbro. Those helped me tremendously.

So you like the creams then? AoS has some good stuff but you can find some other things cheaper. For creams though nothing beats Taylor of Old Bond Street for me. I'm more of a soap guy myself. I actually use the DS Arlington soap and add a dab of cream, so I get the slickness of soap and mosturizing of cream.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007MW2ZW

As for the blades DEFINITELY get the sample pack. You get lots of quality blades and you get to check them all out. I posted that to Jbro as well.

Archived