Kerry Rhodes Injured???

JustInFudge

Either that or his "knee injury" is a built in excuse in case Peyton lights him up.

Yeah, that damn Rex Ryan and his medical staff...

They've got it planned out already...

Scott - Ankle

Harris - Ankle

Ellis - Hand

Rhodes - Knee

If his defense fails, it's because they weren't 100%

:bag:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know about that. I like Strickland, but his 2 passes deflected with zero INTs' compared to Kerry 13 deflected with 3 INT's, would prove otherwise.

Strickland's good.

He's missed a bunch of games, and doesn't get on the field nearly as much as Rhodes when he is healthy, but he's good. I don't think numbers tell the story there.

I dont know about that. I like Strickland, but his 2 passes deflected with zero INTs' compared to Kerry 13 deflected with 3 INT's, would prove otherwise.

Those are the regular season stats? First of all, how is that possible? and two, Strickland missed probably half if not more than half the games this season.

Either that or his "knee injury" is a built in excuse in case Peyton lights him up.

You got it backwards, Verde.

The "knee injury" is an excuse for Rhodes to act like a wounded hero when he gets an easy interception because of Rex's scheme.

Yeah, that damn Rex Ryan and his medical staff...

They've got it planned out already...

Scott - Ankle

Harris - Ankle

Ellis - Hand

Rhodes - Knee

If his defense fails, it's because they weren't 100%

:bag:

I was really joking about Kerry Rhode's tweet about Peyton this morning.

link?

Watch the video... He's supposed to provide help if the far right receiver breaks inside...

He goes outside, which pulls the safety in... That's why the play was drawn up that way...

Scott's assignment was the middle...

I dont know about this...its extremely hard to prove either way, but I just dont agree. Sheppard and Strickland for sure I dont think are but Lowery has been playing very well lately though.

He's definitely our best cover safety...no doubt and that is much needed against Manning, especially if we are going to take some chances at knocking down Manning by sending our CB's after him.

I really don't understand why people think he's such a good coverage guy.. He plays deep a ton, and the blitz heavy attack tends to not give QB's enough time to even look deep.

Not saying he's bad.. But very rarely do i watch a game and think he made a nice play..

Strickland's good.

He's missed a bunch of games, and doesn't get on the field nearly as much as Rhodes when he is healthy, but he's good. I don't think numbers tell the story there.

I like Strickland a lot. Great addition to the team. And maybe posting the numbers was silly considering he's missed games, but I still think Rhodes is better in coverage.

Those are the regular season stats? First of all, how is that possible? and two, Strickland missed probably half if not more than half the games this season.

Its possible because it happened. And posting the stats was stupid on my part.

This is too hard to compare, I shouldnt have made the comment he's 2nd best in coverage. I should have stuck with what is more important based off the position he plays...and said...Kerry is our best safety in coverage and is crucial to our success against Manning whether you want to admitt it or not.

Watch the video... He's supposed to provide help if the far right receiver breaks inside...

He goes outside, which pulls the safety in... That's why the play was drawn up that way...

Yep, that was Scott's blown coverage on the TD. The NFL Network broke down that play. Scott was supposed to go into the endzone but he bit on the underneath pattern.

It wasn't really a "mistake" by Scott, meaning that he didn't follow the play that was called (like Strickland's mistake on the Gonzalez TD against the Falcons). Scott merely made the wrong choice in hindsight.

I really don't understand why people think he's such a good coverage guy.. He plays deep a ton, and the blitz heavy attack tends to not give QB's enough time to even look deep.

Not saying he's bad.. But very rarely do i watch a game and think he made a nice play..

Thats cuz u r a h8r.

He makes nice plays and he is very good in coverage. He's a massive vagina and I cant stand his attitude but when you are cover safety on the league's best passing defense, you are good at your job.

But very rarely do i watch a game and think he made a nice play..

The strip sack was a nice play. After watching the replay I don't fault him for not going for the ball, either. He had literally zero chance at it. His momentum was twisting him away from it to the point that it was clear that even if he'd tried to lunge back he'd have been about a foot and a half short. I don't think you risk getting hurt at the bottom of the pile just to appear to be making an effort when there really isn't any chance of making the play.

looked to me like man / cover 1 with a double on Gates on the zone blitz... the safety typically has deep middle responsibilities but might of had over the top on Jackson, hard to tell.. Scott rushed to the middle zone at the snap, and kind of stopped there which would lead me to beleive someone was supposed to be behind him. Rhodes never made a commitment to the outside once Jackson wasn't running a post (if anything it looked like subterfuge on his part to make rivers think it was over the top coverage) And Rhodes definitely broke on wilson first, which again would make me think he was entering rhodes area...

THe angle is bad, but it looked on RHodes to me, or , at least enough of a question mark that I couldn't understand why you'd call someone an idiot over it..

Kerry is our best safety in coverage and is crucial to our success against Manning whether you want to admitt it or not.

He's important. I want him healthy. I didn't hate on him in the first place, and think he's really picked up his game since he was "benched."

I hope he's not "crucial," though. I like his centerfield range, but I'd like to think Rex and Petine could draw something up with Eric Smith back there hitting people, instead. I think the Jets will open in the nickel, with a lot of man coverage whether's Kerry's healthy or not.

The strip sack was a nice play. After watching the replay I don't fault him for not going for the ball, either. He had literally zero chance at it. His momentum was twisting him away from it to the point that it was clear that even if he'd tried to lunge back he'd have been about a foot and a half short. I don't think you risk getting hurt at the bottom of the pile just to appear to be making an effort when there really isn't any chance of making the play.

When you purposely hack at the ball like that the first instinct shouldn't be celebrate imo, it should be to locate the ball. I know he did the double take at the beginning of the celebration, but that ball could've easily been bouncing right to him..

looked to me like man / cover 1 with a double on Gates on the zone blitz... the safety typically has deep middle responsibilities but might of had over the top on Jackson, hard to tell.. Scott rushed to the middle zone at the snap, and kind of stopped there which would lead me to beleive someone was supposed to be behind him. Rhodes never made a commitment to the outside once Jackson wasn't running a post (if anything it looked like subterfuge on his part to make rivers think it was over the top coverage) And Rhodes definitely broke on wilson first, which again would make me think he was entering rhodes area...

THe angle is bad, but it looked on RHodes to me, or , at least enough of a question mark that I couldn't understand why you'd call someone an idiot over it..

Because I watched a complete breakdown of the play from all angles...

No offense met, I use the term 'idiot' loosely...

I'm not always the brightest guy in the mix of it either...

Because I watched a complete breakdown of the play from all angles...

No offense met, I use the term 'idiot' loosely...

I'm not always the brightest guy in the mix of it either...

Haven't seen it.. Was it nfl network?

The Jets are the #1 overall defense. We're a blitzing defense that has been beaten downfield how many times this season? Three maybe?

But yeah the guy who "plays deep a ton" could have nothing to do with that.

How often do QB's even attmept it? QB's tend to get rid of the ball quickly against us. Most time when they do go deep it's against the man coverage and Revis, who almost always makes the play.

Haven't seen it.. Was it nfl network?

It doesn't matter. It looks the same from all angles. It's just a matter of drawing an inference based on who you'd prefer to have screwed up. Either it's the guy who's been a Jet for five years or the guy who's been in the system for five years. For most, obviously, this is not a real hard choice.

The segment is on NFL.com under the Jet videos.

Solomon Wilcox and Mike Mayock breakdown the film of that play and others.

Just watched it .. no mention of that play. But definitely helped highlight how much revis makes this defense go

It doesn't matter. It looks the same from all angles. It's just a matter of drawing an inference based on who you'd prefer to have screwed up. Either it's the guy who's been a Jet for five years or the guy who's been in the system for five years. For most, obviously, this is not a real hard choice.

Really?

Scott hasn't blown a coverage all season?

Really?

:eek:

Where did he even imply that in his post?

He implied that since Scott knows this defense so well, it's impossible for him to have been the one to miss his assignment...

If you're playing devils advocate for him and think he didn't intend to come off as a pompous, Rhodes hating douche, then good for you...

Scott made bad reads on TWO plays that game.

The touchdown is Scotts Fault. Rhodes is playin the seam to the sideline as a deep safety to the two receivers. Scott got caught looking in the backfield and didn't go back in coverage to cover the middle of the field.

There was another play (Pass to Jacob Hester), where he got caught rushing on the inside (you would think he was going to try a stunt), but his responsibility was to cover the back on the play. He pulled himself too close to the line Hester blew by him in the open for a decent gain.

Hester had 3 catches during the year. Wilson had 4 catches during the year. Bart Scott was out of position on both.

This is a concern, as a 2nd TE or FB (especially one that is rarely used and would not be planned for) could possibly get in the open on a play where it is his responsibilty to cover.

AS FOR RHODES:

Even as a deep safety, he plays too deep.

Does it limit the HUGE play, yes.

Does it help cover his average at best speed, yes.

On one play in the first quarter this is seen:

A good safety would understand that on that play, when LT went in motion outside (drawing Revis out to cover him as well), and Leonhard playing outside technique, 1v1 on Jackson in the slot, that Rhodes doesn't need to play deep safety over the top (and help Revis on LT, or the zone coverage on the 2 WR's on the other side covered by 2 db's and a LB), but needs to help the 1 v 1 mismatch of a 6'5'' Jackson against a 5'8'' Leonhard, who was playing him to the inside.

When the ball was snapped, not only did he not help that coverage but he dropped FURTHER back in coverage giving the receiver (and QB) more space to put a ball over the top of the covering safety (Leonhard was covering Jackson in a mismatch).

He does not have aggressive ballhawking skills because he doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed necessary to cover ground, and doesn't have the football smarts to understand matchups (especially obvious ones which is any 1v1 of safety on wr, on the same side as Revis).

Rhodes is OVERRATED! Eric Smith will serve his purpose well, bump and run decent coverage for 10 yards on a TE. That's it. Idehegbo can blitz (had 8 tackles last week as well), and Rhodes can be traded to the Raiders for all I care.

He implied that since Scott knows this defense so well, it's impossible for him to have been the one to miss his assignment...

If you're playing devils advocate for him and think he didn't intend to come off as a pompous, Rhodes hating douche, then good for you...

That's quite the inference you're making from his implication that Scott wasn't the one responsible for the blown coverage on that single play, in which Rhodes seemed to be covering nothing other than the goalpost. I will admit, though, that I didn't see the play twenty times from different angles.

And for the record, I'm not really playing devil's advocate for him, because I'm a fellow "pompous, Rhodes hating douche".

Archived