Ryan Sends Game Ball to Marty Schottenheimer

Mavrik

Jets acknowledge Marty Schottenheimer

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Jets coach Rex Ryan sent a game ball to Marty Schottenheimer after last weekend's playoff upset of the San Diego Chargers, the team that fired the father of New York's offensive coordinator following a 14-2 regular season.

Brian Schottenheimer said he was touched when he learned of his boss' gesture Tuesday -- and joked that it didn't even occur to him to do it.

Marty Schottenheimer was fired in February 2007 after the Chargers lost their first playoff game despite having the NFL's best record that season. He had 35 wins and two AFC West titles in his last three seasons in San Diego, where his son was quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2005.

"It felt nice to pick up the phone after the game and talk to my father," Brian Schottenheimer said Thursday.

After Sunday's 17-14 win, the son has a chance to do something his famous father never did as a head coach: reach the Super Bowl. The Jets play Sunday in the AFC Championship Game at Indianapolis.

Marty Schottenheimer is coaching college players this week at the East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, Fla.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4846528

What did Marty have to do with your win? It's almost a slap in the face.

Rex is a buffoon and an idiot. if he wins a super bowl I'll get over it..lmao..but until then I have to deal with his loud mouth and stupidity.

Rex is a buffoon and an idiot. if he wins a super bowl I'll get over it..lmao..but until then I have to deal with his loud mouth and stupidity.

Rex has Brian's back. That game was meaningful to Brian to get revenge for himself and his dad. Rex considers everyone a family so if any family member has an axe to grind, the whole team has an axe to grind as far as he is concerned. Just like Callahan getting a gatorade bath after beating OAK. I for one love the mentality he's instilled.

Rex has Brian's back. That game was meaningful to Brian to get revenge for himself and his dad. Rex considers everyone a family so if any family member has an axe to grind, the whole team has an axe to grind as far as he is concerned. Just like Callahan getting a gatorade bath after beating OAK. I for one love the mentality he's instilled.

EXACTLY

Thats great! but hes still a loud mouthed idiot for all the loud mouth **** talking hes doing with the press. what does flappin your gums about stupid **** to the press have to do with anything about the team?

And I'll say it again..if fatso wins a super bowl all is forgiven. but the Colts are very quiet and the Jets are being loud mouths. it reminds me of the Yankees (quiet) and the Phillies (loud mouths)

I dont like it

BP forgot to take his medication.

LOL! seriously. I have seen coaches motivate players through the press through negative comments about them. Parcells one time called LT washed up and old. but how does his ramblings in the press motivate the team?

Dont talk about my coach like that.

delusional

winning makes every thing <3

BP forgot to take his medication.

i was thinking escaped from insane asylum..

LOL! seriously. I have seen coaches motivate players through the press through negative comments about them. Parcells one time called LT washed up and old. but how does his ramblings in the press motivate the team?

So your fat hero did it and it worked, but when our coach does it he's fat and stupid? At least Rex is the reason the team D is great. Tuna's teams had great D because he had Belly.

It WAS a slap in AJ Smith's face.

After the game, Brian Schottenheimer called Marty and told him, "Dad, this one's for you."

Yeah. Peter King wrote about it in MMQB in his favorite moment of the week or something along those lines.

I thought it was really nice.

Thats great! but hes still a loud mouthed idiot for all the loud mouth **** talking hes doing with the press. what does flappin your gums about stupid **** to the press have to do with anything about the team?

Nothing.

But it has everything to do with Rex's personality, and honestly, personality has nothing to do with coaching acumen. Belichick has none, but neither does Mangini.

Why is it that we always jump on the bandwagon to say "same ol' jets", but now that the Jets for, the first time in ages, AREN'T acting like those "same ol' jets", we're still badmouthing them?

This organization has spent the past 40 years being built on a foundation of losing and a mentality of losing. If Obama's motto was "Yes, We Can", then surely the Jets motto up from 1970-2008 has been "No, We Can't."

Ask Eric Mangini, Rich Kotite, and any of the number of other Jet coaches was being "quiet "did for them. Nothing. Ryan has this team believing they can

beat anyone, anytime, anywhere. Why wouldn't I want a coach like that for my team?

Last time I checked, Ryan has put his money where his mouth is, and we're now a game away from the Super Bowl. Not bad for a coach who's only been here for a year.

And I'll say it again..if fatso wins a super bowl all is forgiven. but the Colts are very quiet and the Jets are being loud mouths. it reminds me of the Yankees (quiet) and the Phillies (loud mouths)

I dont like it

Hey BP I am not sure I understand. Tell us how you really feel

BP i hope your kidding cause seriously dude....come on...

and as far as this being a slap in the face WELL DUH IT IS!! Its a slapin the face to San Diego...

Archived