Jets Have 3 Former Colts On Our Roster

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100123/SPORTS03/1230337/Former-Colts-catch-on-in-New-York

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Indianapolis Colts2_bing.gif drafted them, but tight end Ben Hartsock, cornerback Donald Strickland and safety Brannon Condren are with the New York Jets2_bing.gif for Sunday's AFC Championship Game.

In Hartsock's case, he's getting used to bumping into old friends.

"I've played 'em with every team I've been with. This is just another time," he said. "I've played 'em every year since I left 'em, twice in Tennessee, then Atlanta last year and now this year.

"People ask me if you get extra fired up for your old team and I tell them, 'Gosh, I've been on enough teams, I could wear myself out if I got extra fired up for every team I've been on.' "

A third-round pick in 2004, Hartsock was released after seven weeks in 2006. He didn't get a Super Bowl ring that season but isn't upset about it.

AFC South2_bing.gif rival Tennessee claimed him a week after his release, and he was with the Titans for the remainder of that season and 2007 before joining Atlanta in 2008. While with the Falcons, he played the Colts in preseason.

"In this business, you have to move on quick," he said. "As a former player, there are no grudges being held or anything like that."

Hartsock and Strickland are reserves. Condren is on the practice squad and won't make the trip to Indianapolis.

Strickland, a Colts third-round pick in 2003, struggled to stay healthy and was eventually waived early in 2005. But he said there was a reason he got injured.

"I was a little bitter at first," he said. "They placed me in a bad situation where it kind of forced me to beat up on my body. At the time, the defense wasn't very solid and I was 177 pounds playing safety. I was having to take on all those running backs. I got hurt. Then I got waived."

After a stint in Philadelphia, Strickland went home and played for his favorite team as a child, San Francisco, for 21/2 years. He joined the Jets last offseason.

"When we went back there for the first game (on Dec. 27), it was exciting to be at (Lucas Oil Stadium2_bing.gif)," Strickland said. "I remember when it was being built. I thought I was going to be playing in it. I actually did, but I didn't know it was going to be for the opposing team."

Condren, a fourth-round pick in 2007 who rejoined the Colts briefly as a member of the practice squad last year, didn't want to say much about his former team.

"I hope we win, let's put it that way," he said.

'Wonderboy' appearance

Jets rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez wore to his Friday news conference a black T-shirt with the word "Wonderboy" and a lightning bolt logo, the same design as the baseball bat used by mythical hero Roy Hobbs in the 1984 movie "The Natural."

"I've had it for a while," he said, "but I'm wearing everything that can bring a little something good."

Jets coach Rex Ryan made light of his last instructions to Sanchez: "Just because every kid in the world dreams to be in this spot, don't let it affect you."

Manning's TV buddy?

CBS' Jim Nantz, who will handle the play-by-play on Sunday's game, was surprised by a Florida writer's assertion that the announcer should disqualify himself because he did a Sony commercial with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning this season, alleging that makes them friends.

Nantz, chatting by phone from Indianapolis with Don Imus on a New York radio show, called the criticism ridiculous and insisted impartiality. When Imus asked for a prediction, he declined.

um how does this make me gay?

Why the hell do you constantly post threads about Practice squad players? Noone here gives a sh!t. You have a hard on for all the nobodies on our team, what's with you?

Strickland, a Colts third-round pick in 2003, struggled to stay healthy and was eventually waived early in 2005. But he said there was a reason he got injured.

"I was a little bitter at first," he said. "They placed me in a bad situation where it kind of forced me to beat up on my body. At the time, the defense wasn't very solid and I was 177 pounds playing safety. I was having to take on all those running backs. I got hurt. Then I got waived."

I wonder if this is why Sanders gets injured so much.

You gave it your best shot but not everyone can be witty.

No I honestly think you're a weirdo, from the sh!t you post to your racist generalization. I wasnt trying to be "witty"

Your posts are a disaster.