Sign Dawan Landry S, Dunta Robinson CB

Draft:

1) Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes OLB/DE

2) Mardy Gilyard or Jordan Shipley WR

5) Jon Asamoah or Mitch Petras OG

6) Devin McCourtney or Alrerraun Verner CB

7) Zotan Mesko P

forget free agency

There could still be a few choice players left to test free agency and a number of solid players on bad teams will be looking to go to contending teams. A team such as the Patriots has always done a great job in free agency, getting very good veterans on reasonable deals because a player wants a chance at a Super Bowl ring. Well, there will be a "Final 8" rule in 2010.

The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

personally i'm hoping you guys draft Carlos Dunlap.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing is first, we need to trade Kerry Rhodes and cut ties with Vernon Gholston. When the draft comes up, we have to draft a CB. Dwight Lowery is one of the worst corners I have ever watched in my life.

Next thing we need is a player Sanchez can count on on 3rd downs. To be more specific, we need a slot receiver.

We need a punter. The Jets are a team about field position, and having a good punter can be the difference between winning and losing.

Sign Dawan Landry S, Dunta Robinson CB

Draft:

1) Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes OLB/DE

2) Mardy Gilyard or Jordan Shipley WR

5) Jon Asamoah or Mitch Petras OG

6) Devin McCourtney or Alrerraun Verner CB

7) Zotan Mesko P

Landry gets burned too easily. I like Robinson a lot, however, the Texans will slap him with a franchise tag, easily.

The problem is that those 3 are fairly one dimensional. Sheppard can handle small, fast guys (sort of), and Lowery can handle bigger, slower guys. Aside from Revis they really don't have anyone that can handle a team's second WR if they're well-rounded. Lowery is fantastic out of the nickel but that's his limit; Jets #1 need going into this draft is CB2 and they've been scouting accordingly for it all year.

CB2.. I'd also like to see them go after a situational rusher early, someone who can generate some pressure on his own rather then through scheme. Many times today manning threw short passes/slants right into the zone left unoccupied by the blitzing backer, he pretty much owned us after the first few drives. Obviously not everyone will be capable of doing it, but he made it look easy enough and it was deceptively simple.

We can only hope to address depth in free agency this year, and that would be a good thing. With Edwards playing better and Rex behind the wheel, there is no way we draft WR in the first round, or any other offensive player! There is no quality Corner available at our draft position so we will do one of two things; we trade up for a safety(Mays/Thomas) and deal Rhodes for a second or third rounder{I HOPE WE DO THIS!} or we draft the best available OLB or DE for the pass rush. For a team that got to the quaterback as often and unpredictably as the Jets we lodged very few sacks. When one guy gets through the QB throws it away, when two get through he hits the ground. Many people forget in analyzing our pass rush against the colts that Ellis was hurt and Jenkins out. But with them both healthy and the addition of someone on the line opposite Ellis or in place of Bryan Thomas we should see our sack numbers double this year.

We do need a number 2 CB, a slot receiver, and another TE. In the second round Rex would be wise to draft a receiver(Damien Williams/Arrelious Benn/Mardy Gilyard) Any one of which would make a lot of sense. Sanchez needs another viable option he can grow with. We can go after a TE in the fifth round but I leave our third pick for the Jets to work some magic. It's been lucky in the past so I'm not even going there. You may think I've forgotten we need a cornerback opposite Revis, I haven't. We will either stay with what we had and let's face it it got us this far with the number one defense against the pass; or we will make another trade to fill the need. Maybe we grab one in the third, but it's not as big a need as some make it out to be.

If we make these few right moves and our picks pan out we will be back in the AFC championship next year.

CB2.. I'd also like to see them go after a situational rusher early, someone who can generate some pressure on his own rather then through scheme. Many times today manning threw short passes/slants right into the zone left unoccupied by the blitzing backer, he pretty much owned us after the first few drives. Obviously not everyone will be capable of doing it, but he made it look easy enough and it was deceptively simple.

I agree. It's an interesting draft for 3-4 rushers, there's several good to great prospects that can make the transition quite easily IMO (Sapp, Miller...etc.). The good part at least about not having to start getting ready for Miami is that at least the FO can focus their efforts completely towards Mobile this week. The only thing I know is that they've really dialed it up in scouting DB's since Nov. Honestly I think he's happy with the LB's for now and some of the projects he has going in Ihedigbo and Westerman. Definitely could change but that's how things are looking so far...but then again with the way this game went I can't imagine their thought process changing much.

We really need a solid CB and a pass rusher most and Manning made that very clear. I lean towards pass rush since that would help the D more. I like what I here about the kid from Michigan I think his name is Graham and he could be a good pick as a 3-4 LB end of the 1st. After those 2 positions I agree with others saying Sanchez needs a slot WR. After that we need to address depth on both lines as much as possible. I really hope Tanny trades down cause we need to aquire some more picks.

We don't need to worry about RB right now since we have our starter in Greene and Leon should be able to approximate what he's been overy his career. Jones might be gone but we can overcome that. It's not a luxury we can afford to use picks on considering the limitations on our FA situation. Maybe try to sign a guy that gets cut later on since I think we can do that.

We really need a solid CB and a pass rusher most and Manning made that very clear. I lean towards pass rush since that would help the D more. I like what I here about the kid from Michigan I think his name is Graham and he could be a good pick as a 3-4 LB end of the 1st. After those 2 positions I agree with others saying Sanchez needs a slot WR.

The Jets need offense!

Holy crap, I hope Tannenbaum and the Jets aren't thinking the way the people on this board are thinking. The Jets fielded the #1 defense this year, the #1 dee against the pass. Just because they got lit up on the road by one of the greatest QB's of all time doesn't mean the priority is on defense. We didn't need dee when we punked Phil Rivers in his house. Where the Jets need help is with their #31 ranked passing offense!

I do have some faith in the front office though, after all they did trade and spend on Sanchez, Greene, and Edwards far more than anywhere on the dee. I'm sure they recognize that wasn't enough.

The Jets #2 WR is better than their #1, and they have absolutely zero depth behind them. Either of those guys gets hurt, and it's Clowney or Smith in the starting lineup, not good. It's not like they could go two a two TE set in that case, because they have absolutely nothing backing up Keller, either. The Jets suffered when Cotchery got hurt right after the trade for Braylon in a big way. Clowney shouldn't even be in the NFL, and Smith and Wright aren't WR's. They need serious help at the position, even if they take my advice and move Woodhead into the slot.

The Jets absolutely need another high quality receiver. Braylon will be held over on a $5M RFA tender for one year, and the Jets have that amount of time to decide whether his big play ability is worth all the drops. They need to have someone ready to step in if he's not, but they really just need additional targets for Sanchez - who grew up in front of our eyes from mid-December on. You invest that heavily in a QB, you need to do everything you possibly can to get him up to his potential.

why would we need to draft a DE to rush the QB? we got that BEAST gholston everybody wanted... for the people that werent around a few years ago...peopel were going nuts for gholston on this board... hes a big puss... soft... and lazy... worst pick in years...

How bout Mcfadden?

;)

why would we need to draft a DE to rush the QB? we got that BEAST gholston everybody wanted... for the people that werent around a few years ago...peopel were going nuts for gholston on this board... hes a big puss... soft... and lazy... worst pick in years...

CUT HIM.

Golden Tate (notre dame) is a good pick that will probably fall around the time we'll be drafting. He is a very versatile weapon and that could help us. Let's say Leon isn't himself well we can have Tate return kicks/punts, and also he can spell Greene as a RB if necessary.

If Leon is O.K., then we can start developing Tate as a slot receiver.

I say trade Rhodes and Sheppard, and get................. either ERIC BERRY OR TAYLOR MAYS AND NNAMDI ASOMUGHA IN A TRADE IN THE DRAFT, EH........?

Please, please stop.

First, you didn't know that the Jets are down about 4 draft picks, then you chide someone else for not knowing the new rule of draft order, then you throw this kind of trade around?

please, stop while you are behind.

Please, please stop.

First, you didn't know that the Jets are down about 4 draft picks, then you chide someone else for not knowing the new rule of draft order, then you throw this kind of trade around?

please, stop while you are behind.

i was fking joking man, geez

Notes on Tebow

Tebow has rough first day at Senior Bowl

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 25, 2010 7:53 PM ET

Already tired of Favre Watch 2010? Then can I interest you in a little Tebow Watch?

We pass along reviews of Tebow's first day at Senior Bowl practice with the knowledge that the buildup to the NFL2_bing.gif Draft will be a long one, with many ups and downs for Tebow. Monday was a downer.

Lindsay Soto on NFL Network: Tebow fumbled the first snap from center, then botched roughly 5-6 more during the day. Tebow is used to playing out of shotgun.

Christ Mortensen on Twitter2_bing.gif: "First impression from NFL folks on Tebow at Senior Bowl -- it is indeed going to be a challenging process for him."

Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times: "I'm on the sideline at the Senior Bowl practice and let's just say Tim Tebow is not exactly lighting it up. [url=

mechanics and accuracy."

Tebow will get a chance to rebound in the next three days of practice on NFL Network; the next two practices are in full pads.

The Jets need offense!

Holy crap, I hope Tannenbaum and the Jets aren't thinking the way the people on this board are thinking. The Jets fielded the #1 defense this year, the #1 dee against the pass. Just because they got lit up on the road by one of the greatest QB's of all time doesn't mean the priority is on defense. We didn't need dee when we punked Phil Rivers in his house. Where the Jets need help is with their #31 ranked passing offense!

I do have some faith in the front office though, after all they did trade and spend on Sanchez, Greene, and Edwards far more than anywhere on the dee. I'm sure they recognize that wasn't enough.

The Jets #2 WR is better than their #1, and they have absolutely zero depth behind them. Either of those guys gets hurt, and it's Clowney or Smith in the starting lineup, not good. It's not like they could go two a two TE set in that case, because they have absolutely nothing backing up Keller, either. The Jets suffered when Cotchery got hurt right after the trade for Braylon in a big way. Clowney shouldn't even be in the NFL, and Smith and Wright aren't WR's. They need serious help at the position, even if they take my advice and move Woodhead into the slot.

The Jets absolutely need another high quality receiver. Braylon will be held over on a $5M RFA tender for one year, and the Jets have that amount of time to decide whether his big play ability is worth all the drops. They need to have someone ready to step in if he's not, but they really just need additional targets for Sanchez - who grew up in front of our eyes from mid-December on. You invest that heavily in a QB, you need to do everything you possibly can to get him up to his potential.

You make some good points, slats, but just because our D was # 1 does NOT mean there isn't room for improvement. Giving up 30 points to the Colts was a wake-up call that we still need some more pieces in place. I'm not saying we should leave the offense alone, but a couple more players could help our D maintain the # 1 spot and possibly rival some of the greatest defenses of all-time.

I like the idea of trading down, a lot. Where we are (29th) puts us in no-mans land currently. CB and WR would be my 2 primary positions to look at, and I don't think anyone fits the bill. I'd like to trade down and end up with, perhaps, two second rounders and a 4th rounder to work with. I doubt we can do this by trading players currently on the roster, it would have to be picks and picks alone. With 3 days of drafting this year, we'll have a LOT more time to make some deals happen.

I'd like us to end up with a # 2 CB, a slot receiver, and an edge rusher that would replace Gholston and be a "Rex guy".

While I'd love to get a safety to replace Rhodes, its a luxury pick, and we don't have enough picks to work with. Rhodes' contract dictates he'll probably be back next season unless the uncapped year helps us get rid of him. I'd be happy with just a CB to improve our secondary, for now.

To sum up, I want a starting CB, slot receiver, and a "project" edge-rushing LB for Rex, all of which we could acquire by making one trade out of the 1st round.

I would bet money Cody will be there when the Jets pick. My guess is they will pass on him. My guess is he's not picked until the late 2nd-3rd.

No chance in hell he last till the late 2nd or 3rd round unless he has an injury. NT are to hard to come by and there are a few 3-4 defenses looking for a NT.

The Jets need offense!

We need a slot receiver and our qb to improve. If the latter alone happens we have a good offense as long as Jones isn't carrying the ball

On defense we need a #2 corner who can cover anything, a safety and pass rusher..

We also need some Oline depth

No chance in hell he last till the late 2nd or 3rd round unless he has an injury. NT are to hard to come by and there are a few 3-4 defenses looking for a NT.

Ok Mick. But lets remember this come draft day. I would bet good money he eats himself out of the first round by time of the Combine.

Archived