Not like this...

Aten

Only the #3 ranked cover corner based on PFF's metrics...

If you're not into advanced metrics, you can watch him play in the Pro Bowl next week.

Ok, very true... Rodgers-Cromartie is better then Sheppard. Gotta admit I forgot he was playing for them.

So that leaves the Browns, Bills, and Pats... Cant think of any cb on their rosters that I would say is clearly better than Sheppard.

You know what it takes to beat the Colts

Home field advantage

I don't even know if that's enough. After the last 2 years, I'm convinced that the only way you beat them is to keep the game close and out of Peyton's hands completely right before time expires. In hindsight I don't even know if I can fault Belichick for trying to do this, because there's no other reason why he'd have even tried. 3 losses in almost 2 years, and 1 coming from losing a coin flip, and the other 2 coming from his coach sitting him. I know there's no cumulative way to measure unstoppableness, but if there was I think Peyton would have 1,345,987 unstoppableness points.

The #1 pass defense in the NFL didn't look too bad when they clobbered Phil Rivers in San Diego the week before.

Yeah, actually, with the two obvious exceptions, the secondary was total crap against San Diego too.

I think Peyton would have 1,345,987 unstoppableness points.

Seeing him carve the jets alive yesterday was painful

I never thought I'd hate a guy more than Tom Brady.....But manning is it for me

F-that son of a b1tch

We play him outside, out of his element...we beat him

Imperative this Jets team gets homefield next year

14 wins for this team is doable

That's what he was hoping for.

Right. Because I'm that guy. Come on. Sanchez made the five best throws of his life yesterday. Clearly I was thrilled to see it. However, given the kid-gloves gameplan it can hardly be said that I was the only one who had my doubts.

Right. Because I'm that guy. Come on. Sanchez made the five best throws of his life yesterday. Clearly I was thrilled to see it. However, given the kid-gloves gameplan it can hardly be said that I was the only one who had my doubts.

Doubts?

Aten doesn't have doubts. He has convictions.

Now, the $60,000 question for Aten is:

Did Sanchez show flashes of greatness?

Indeed. At the very least, it would have provided him with a whole offseason's worth of opportunities to squeeze in the gay-Mexican-bust jokes. And I guess for humor's sake, that does kind of suck for the rest of us.

That is all our loss.

Well, you're not, but don't be the guy that can't at least take a few nutslaps about it.

Of course. Even CTM manned up on this.

I don't even know if that's enough. After the last 2 years, I'm convinced that the only way you beat them is to keep the game close and out of Peyton's hands completely right before time expires. In hindsight I don't even know if I can fault Belichick for trying to do this, because there's no other reason why he'd have even tried. 3 losses in almost 2 years, and 1 coming from losing a coin flip, and the other 2 coming from his coach sitting him. I know there's no cumulative way to measure unstoppableness, but if there was I think Peyton would have 1,345,987 unstoppableness points.

Coming over to the light side on that one finally? :D

Coming over to the light side on that one finally? :D

Totally. I'll definitely concede that one. We can't stop this guy and if he gets the ball we're ****ed. I get that line of thinking. I didn't think he had finally reached that level at the time, but after watching him yesterday I'm convinced of it now.

Totally. I'll definitely concede that one. We can't stop this guy and if he gets the ball we're ****ed. I get that line of thinking. I didn't think he had finally reached that level at the time, but after watching him yesterday I'm convinced of it now.

Montana was on that level late in his Niners career and the only way to beat him in the postseason was to knock him out of the game.

Of course their stats are good. The pass rush, which people will continue to refuse to acknowledge because it's designed to rush throws and not to produce sacks, is the reason for that.

That's fine for the other 18 games we played, but you can't "rush" Manning. You can't be content to "pressure" him, or "get in his face," or "knock him off his spot." You hit him, or you lose.

That's fine for the other 18 games we played, but you can't "rush" Manning. You can't be content to "pressure" him, or "get in his face," or "knock him off his spot." You hit him, or you lose.

This is the truth IMO. You have to hit him. Putting pressure on Peyton only makes him better. I posted the thread and someone posted the article, but it shows the guy is deadly when facing pressure. But he cant be deadly on his ass. When we were getting to him, he was mortal. When he picked up on our blitzes and got the right pass protection set ups, he diced us and picked on our lousy CB's not named Revis.

Yeah, choosing not to hit Manning was a clear error in judgment. I'm sure we'll try to hit him next time.

I think you lose regardless. I think the only way you beat Peyton is to keep him off the field as much as possible.

I think you lose regardless. I think the only way you beat Peyton is to keep him off the field as much as possible.

Off the field and out of rhytm.. it's why losign Greene hurt so much, our running game never got a chance to wear out Indy defenders.. oh well (and I know i sound like a broken record with the greene talk, but i think it was a huge blow cause Jones is that bad)

Off the field and out of rhytm.. it's why losign Greene hurt so much, our running game never got a chance to wear out Indy defenders.. oh well (and I know i sound like a broken record with the greene talk, but i think it was a huge blow cause Jones is that bad)

Oh I agree, I think the only defense against him is a time-consuming offense that can consistently score in the second half. We lost our best offensive player that was capable of doing exactly this too early. For me this was also one of those "imagine if we had Leon" games.

Me too. Strickland hurt as well. The passing game went from helter skelter to precision. Dont know if that was really all on Strickland, but it was noticeable. Might have only been a matter of time but still worth mentioning. The guy is familiar with Peyton and that offense...I think it made a big difference.

No, but I was hoping that you'd provide the takeaway once lack of same was pointed out. Was it the scheme? Gameplan? Personnel?

I do think a natural pass rusher would help this defense. Far too often Manning just hit receivers on short routes to the space in which the blitzing lb'er just evacuated. It really looked pretty easy..

I do think a natural pass rusher would help this defense. Far too often Manning just hit receivers on short routes to the space in which the blitzing lb'er just evacuated. It really looked pretty easy..

Exactly. Our blitzing was pointless. It was just leaving terrible corners one on one with a QB that could throws the football into your little penis hole from 50yrds out.

I hate to say it, but we would have been better off just trying to create pressure with our front four and dropping everyone else back in coverage. In thiat situation, Big Jenk and a true edge pass rusher would change the game.

You didn't answer my question.

Yes or No ...

You nailed the reason why. I didn't want you to hurt yourself wrapping your head around the notion that flashes of greatness and signs of a bleak future aren't mutually exclusive. Is there a particular reason why you completely take leave of your ability to allow for nuanced positions and shades of gray only where the subject of Mark Sanchez is concerned?

You nailed the reason why. I didn't want you to hurt yourself wrapping your head around the notion that flashes of greatness and signs of a bleak future aren't mutually exclusive. Is there a particular reason why you completely take leave of your ability to allow for nuanced positions and shades of gray only where the subject of Mark Sanchez is concerned?

Jamarcus Russell >>>>>>> Sanchez.

We would have won with Russell.

No, but I was hoping that you'd provide the takeaway once lack of same was pointed out. Was it the scheme? Gameplan? Personnel?

If I had to choose one, it would be personnel. As you said, our defensive backfield is one awesome CB, one grit-tacular safety, and a bunch of losers. We also don't have a single guy who can consistently beat a tackle one-on-one. At the same time, the efficacy of a pass rush built on hurrying throws was always going to be limited against a guy like Manning, who has 4-5 options on any given play and the ability to find them in a handful of seconds, to say nothing of his computer brain.

Our vaunted pass defense was forged in the crucible of Delhomme-Fitzpatrick-Freeman-Ryan-Painter-Palmer. I think people used those games to form unreasonable expectations about how it would fare against the G.O.A.T.

We also don't have a single guy who can consistently beat a tackle one-on-one.

There's not a lot I can really say to this. I mean, I assume you realize that you're talking about the reason why the 3-4 defense even exists in the first place. There aren't nearly enough such guys to go around and everybody here is still crying about the last shot we took at getting one.

To annoy you.

There's not a lot I can really say to this. I mean, I assume you realize that you're talking about the reason why the 3-4 defense even exists in the first place. There aren't nearly enough such guys to go around and everybody here is still crying about the last shot we took at getting one.

Poor choice of words, but my point is that we were screwed either way. No one got to Manning up front, no one covered in the back end. A defense predicated on sending a bunch of guys to rush opponents' throws is always a risky proposition when the opponent is a freak-of-nature QB with a full complement of weapons, especially when a number of the guys you're sending aren't terribly athletic to begin with, and especially especially when 3/4 of the guys covering behind them are even worse.

Apportioning blame in this case is an interesting intellectual exercise, but at the risk of copping out, I agree with RJF in Jason's thread. Manning is just better than everyone else.

We lost to Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie yesterday. Unacceptable.

No way. First of all, they've been beating teams for weeks now with those guys. It's not like they're a bunch of scrubs. Second, they had Peyton Manning throwing to them. Third, what it all comes down to is Garcon and Collie are better 3 and 4 receivers than ANY #3 and #4 DB combo in the league.

Archived