Jets News 1/28/10

SoFlaJets

Jets' Sanchez getting right knee checked out

By MARK CANNIZZARO

There was a Mark Sanchez sighting Tuesday night, and it wasn't in New York, New Jersey or California.

The Post learned last night that Sanchez was in Birmingham, Ala., to have his right knee examined by renowned orthopedist, Dr. James Andrews.

It's believed Sanchez -- who suffered a sprained posterior cruciate in his right knee in the Jets' 19-13 win over the Bills on Dec. 3 in Toronto and missed a game -- was seeing Andrews to have it checked out in case any surgery needs to be done.

It's not known whether Sanchez will have any offseason surgery, though if he did it wouldn't likely be anything major. Considering how well he played once he returned to the lineup, any potential surgery likely would be a minor procedure to clean up the knee.

mark_sanchez--300x300.jpg

KNEED FOR PRECAUTION: The Post has learned that Mark Sanchez is seeing renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews to have his right knee examined.

Sanchez, in fact, performed at his best during the Jets' playoff run and he threw some of his best passes while on the move.

In the Jets locker room on Monday as the players cleaned out their lockers, Sanchez moved about with no perceptive limp.

Sanchez hurt the knee while diving forward on a scramble against the Bills. Despite the Jets having extra days to recover following the Buffalo game because it took place on a Thursday, Sanchez sat out and didn't make the trip to Tampa for the team's Dec. 13 game against the Buccaneers.

Outside of a three-interception game in the Jets' 10-7 loss to the Falcons, Sanchez's performance once he returned was one of improvement compared with before the injury.

Sanchez, on the advice of a former coach, came to the Jets wearing a brace on his left knee as a precaution. While at USC, he suffered a dislocated kneecap in practice before the 2008 season.

After he hurt the right knee against the Bills, he wore braces on both knees for a while in practice.

Ironically, before his injury against the Bills, coach Rex Ryan brought Yankees manager Joe Girardi to the Jets' practice facility to help teach Sanchez how to slide. Sanchez had a propensity to dive forward while scrambling and Ryan wanted to curb that habit.

Sanchez's knee injury occurred days after Girardi's visit.

"I'm sorry to coach Girardi," Sanchez said after the Bills game. "He spent all that time trying to help me. And I know Rex wants me to slide and everybody wants me to slide, but in the heat of the moment I was trying to get the first down. That's just the way I play."

Sanchez's cig-nature

By MARK CANNIZZARO

While in Birmingham, Ala., to see orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, Mark Sanchez took a little time out Tuesday night to see some music at a club in town called "The Nick."

The band Sanchez watched was a Brooklyn-based group called "Her & Kings County." He signed some autographs, and eyewitnesses said they saw Sanchez smoking a cigarette at the place.

Bumpy Rhodes: Kerry says Jets future in doubt

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Two days after coach Rex Ryan raised significant questions about whether Kerry Rhodes was wanted back by the Jets next season, Rhodes addressed the situation for the first time yesterday, though he left the issue rather cloudy.

Appearing on SNY's "Wheelhouse" show, Rhodes said not only that Ryan wants him to remain a Jet but that he wants to stay.

Nevertheless, Rhodes dropped several hints that it's no lock he will be back with the Jets. It's believed that Rhodes doesn't believe he will be back with the Jets.

One moment he was saying he enjoys being a Jet.

"Rex Ryan is my guy. I like Rex a lot," Rhodes said. "We get along. We're great friends. He called me [yesterday] and reiterated again that they want me here. And to be honest, I really do want to be here. This is the team that gave me my first shot, drafted me in the fourth round when a lot of other teams didn't give me a chance.

"They gave me the big contract here. I'm letting fans know I do want to be here and end my career as a Jet.''

But there were other moments when Rhodes sprinkled in some cumulous clouds of doubt that he will remain with the organization.

"But, sometimes circumstances happen," he said. "There's going to be a little talk between us in the next couple of weeks, but I want to be here."

What Rhodes, whose nickname is "Hollywood" for his off-the-field interests, really meant is that he wants to be in New York.

There have been some rumblings that Rhodes would love to go to the Giants in a trade for Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who some believe has worn out his welcome with coach Tom Coughlin. The Giants have definite needs in the secondary.

This sideshow began on Monday when Ryan, pressed multiple times, sidestepped questions about whether he wanted Rhodes to return.

"This one I don't really want to talk about much, because there's an individual thing that Kerry and I have talked about," Ryan said on Monday.

Ryan said the Monday conversation he had with Rhodes was similar to the one they had after he demoted Rhodes from his starting role for two games after a Nov. 22 loss to the Patriots. At that point, Rhodes hadn't made any impact plays and wasn't playing the physical brand of football that Ryan preaches.

Ryan also demanded that Rhodes spend one-on-one time with defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman before he had a chance be reinstated as a starter.

Rhodes, somewhat reluctantly, did so. But it was clear that he had a strained relationship with Thurman and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. Rhodes also said that he and Pettine didn't "see eye to eye."

Pettine and Thurman are Ryan's two closest and most trusted assistants, so it's pretty obvious that Ryan told Rhodes on Monday that if he cannot get along with those coaches and buy into the program, maybe he doesn't belong.

"We had a little discussion [Monday] that we had eight weeks ago," Rhodes said yesterday. "[Ryan] came out and said he wants me here, they want me on his team. But the option here for me _ and this is what we said back then [in November] -- was if I didn't really fit in and I didn't go with the Dennis Thurman thing, meeting with him and buying into the system, I could request a trade. [so] the situation is up to me."

Rhodes' tone yesterday made it sound like he's seeking a some love from the Jets, the same team, remember, that gave him a five-year, $33.5 million contract extension in 2008.

It's also possible that the Jets want Rhodes, who's scheduled to make a $2.8 million base salary in 2010 and is due a $2 million roster bonus in March, want to restructure his contract.

"I'm going to meet with [Ryan] when he gets back and we're going to go over some more things," Rhodes said. "Sometimes, people don't fit in certain situations. I'm not one to say that I don't fit in, but I have to reevaluate myself and see what's going on and see how much they really care about me here."

Safety Kerry Rhodes could stay with New York Jets - if price is right

BY Rich Cimini

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, January 28th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_rhodes.jpg

New York Jets safety Kerry Rhodes and head coach Rex Ryan could share moments like this if the price is right.

Kerry Rhodes clarified two issues Wednesday: He wants to remain with the Jets, and he said the Jets want him back. But he stopped short of saying it will happen, fueling speculation they are haggling over a proposed pay cut.

The veteran safety, still chafed by his temporary demotion in November, said he expects to speak with Rex Ryan over the next two weeks to finalize his status. Rhodes said they gave him the option of requesting a trade.

"The organization wants me to be here, so it's a little bit of me, humbling myself and talking to Rex a little bit more and seeing what happens from there," Rhodes said on his weekly spot on SNY's "Wheelhouse" show. Rhodes wants to see "how much they care about me here."

Rhodes has four years remaining on his contract, and is due to make $4.8 million next season (including a $2 million roster bonus payable in March). Even though 2010 looms as an uncapped year, the Jets could be trying to pressure him into a restructured contract. In the same vein, it's possible they told him he will have to compete for his starting job.

On Monday, Rhodes met with Ryan to discuss his future. In that meeting, Ryan said he wants him back, according to Rhodes. But when he faced reporters, Ryan was unusually cryptic, refusing to give his position on the matter.

Rhodes said he received a call Wednesday from Ryan, reiterating his desire to bring him back.

"To be honest, I really do want to be here," said Rhodes, who had been non-committal since his benching. "This is New York. This is the team that gave me my first shot. They gave me the big contract....I'm letting the fans know I do want to be here to end my career as a Jet, but sometimes circumstances happen."

Rhodes' production increased after returning from his demotion, but he admitted it was "tough on the psyche."

Osi for Kari?

Yes please

it seems to be a rumor put forth from a Giants message board with nothing really to it. Kind of like the millions of threads we have here saying "we should sign every single (BEAST) free agent out there". Only difference being that some beat writer jumped on it.

Pereira admits missed calls in championship games

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 27, 2010 8:05 PM ET

Vikings quarterback Brett Favre and Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez both took hits during Sunday's conference championship games that should have resulted in penalties but were not flagged, NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira says.

"They're missed calls," Pereira said during his "Official Review" segment on NFL Total Access.

On a Favre interception against the Saints, Remi Ayodele hit Favre high while Bobby McCray hit him low, and Pereira said McCary should have been flagged for getting Favre in the lower leg.

"It is the kind of hit that we want called because, clearly, we're trying to protect the knees," Pereira said.

Pereira also said Colts defensive back Melvin Bullitt should have been flagged for drilling Sanchez well after Sanchez had handed the ball off.

Jets coach Rex Ryan referred to Bullitt's hit as a "cheap shot," while Clark Judge of CBS Sports has referred to the failure to flag McCray as the game's "low moment." It probably isn't much consolation to Jets and Vikings fans now, but Pereira admits the flags should have been thrown.

it seems to be a rumor put forth from a Giants message board with nothing really to it. Kind of like the millions of threads we have here saying "we should sign every single (BEAST) free agent out there". Only difference being that some beat writer jumped on it.

Correction, Canny jumped on it.

Correction, Canny jumped on it.

today yes, but when I was posting in yesterday's news threads the link was coming from some Giant's MB as Giants fans were all psyched about the idea. "Make the trade before Tannenbaum can change his mind" is the kind of stuff that was in the article. It was kind of like if one of us wrote a story here and you put it up on the front page and it gets reported as something other than a fan's idea and no credible source from within the organization-not that any of US would do something like that...

Sanchez appears headed for kee surgery

By MARK CANNIZZARO

One day after The Post learned that Mark Sanchez was in Birmingham, Ala., to see renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews about his knees, it appears Sanchez is headed for offseason knee surgery.

The surgery, however, would not be on the right knee Sanchez injured in the Jets

today yes, but when I was posting in yesterday's news threads the link was coming from some Giant's MB as Giants fans were all psyched about the idea. "Make the trade before Tannenbaum can change his mind" is the kind of stuff that was in the article. It was kind of like if one of us wrote a story here and you put it up on the front page and it gets reported as something other than a fan's idea and no credible source from within the organization-not that any of US would do something like that...

No -- I meant it still wasn't a beat reporter even after Canny wrote the article. :-P

Archived