Nick Mangold wants a new deal before the 2010 season kicks off

Make it happen. He should be a Jet lifer. If we can extend Mangold, Harris, Revis, and Brick this offseason, this would be considered a great success.

Eh.

Harris isn't a need to lock up until next offseason. He is a RFA in 2011.

Brick? I think we until 2011 with him, too.

Work on Mangold and Revis.

With the threat of a lockout in 2011, I'm sure a lot of players would like to pocket a big signing bonus this year. ;)

Mangold should be a major priority, though, and the Jets shouldn't blink at making him the highest paid center in the game. I'm sure Tannenbaum's trying to figure out every possible angle and advantage of signing players to extensions in the uncapped season. I'd love to see Revis get done, too.

Can't blame Mangold one damn bit and he's absolutely right, the guy has been phenomenal and you can't even begin to question keeping him around. Plus with guys like Edwards and Washington on one year deals, there's no reason not to lock up the one guy you have ZERO questions about at this point. And they'll have Harris, Brick and Revis right on his tail for new contracts due as well, and there's no reason any of them should have a chance of not remaining Jets.

For once the Jets best players are also amongst their youngest, so they can't screw this one up. While the Jets already started it out by locking up guys like Cotchery and Rhodes before they hit the final year of their deals, the Jets are now at the beginning of a stretch where pretty much every one of their best players will be up for contracts in the coming years, and there will be guys looking for extensions in each of the coming offseasons, so they need to set the tone correctly right out of the gate.

Eh.

Harris isn't a need to lock up until next offseason. He is a RFA in 2011.

Brick? I think we until 2011 with him, too.

Work on Mangold and Revis.

Technically if there is no collective bargaining agreement in 2011, Mangold would be an RFA as well. As such if they do sign a CBA before 2011, Harris would also be unrestricted if they continue to follow the old rules for free agency eligibility (four years service).

Mangold probably should be our first priority with Harris being second. Revis and Brick are slightly behind, but if we can take advantage of the uncapped year, we should.

You can either pay the money to your OL, or you can pay it to the hospital for your dead QB. Herm/Mangini spent the last decade sending Pennington to the hospital and that didn't get us a SB...so I suggest we try an alternative strategy.

Scary when the players want to be the highest paid at the position

Can't keep them all....and unless you get a guy that wants to be a Jets lifer, get ready to lose a few of these guys

I don't the Jets will lose any of them ...

UNLESS, the NFLPA caves and agrees to the 18% cut that the owners want.

The salary cap is going up every year and the Jets have had more than enough room to sign guys in recent years. The Jets are far from being in cap trouble.

The Jets will have the financial ability to re-sign Mangold, Revis, DBrick, Harris, Sanchez, and Keller. The only issue will be if the Jets want to rather can they.

Can't keep them all....and unless you get a guy that wants to be a Jets lifer, get ready to lose a few of these guys

I think that you can keep them all. No more salary cap.

Hell, if the Jets can afford to make Faneca the highest paid OG in NFL history, they can certainly pay Mangold as the top center, especially considering Faneca isn't going to be pulling in that kind of scratch for a whole lot longer. At least not from the Jets. Same likely goes for Woody.

Revis is the only other guy on the Jets I think we're going to have to worry about wanting to be the highest paid at his position. Brick will certainly command a lot, but he's not the best LT in the league.

I trust Tanny too

But lets be real here

These guys are all going to want to get paid soon

Revis

Brick

Mangold

HArris

Edwards

Washington

This after committing big money to Pace, Faneca, Scott, Rhodes, Woody, Bryan Thomas ect

Can not pay them all....just can not

I trust Tanny too

But lets be real here

Revis

Brick

Mangold

HArris

Edwards

Washington

This after committing big money to Pace, Faneca, Scott, Rhodes, Woody, Bryan Thomas ect

they can pay them all... in an uncapped year...

I trust Tanny too

But lets be real here

Revis

Brick

Mangold

HArris

Edwards

Washington

Yep you're right, you can't. That's why you can't have pro bowlers at every position and at some point you have to decide where to prioritize, and who to pay. An elite defense pretty much needs pro bowlers at every position and that's why that type of team philosophy does not work well. That's why the Jets finally tried for the franchise QB, that's why Peyton Manning's teams always contend.

The Jets should pay Mangold, Brick, Revis as the "foundations." Sanchez is in his rookie year so that isn't a problem.

Braylon Edwards simply can't be overpaid, Washington can't be either. TJ can't be given a new longer contract. Harris is another guy that you can not break the bank for.

But that's not our problem, that's Tanny's problem. Just relax.

I trust Tanny too

But lets be real here

Revis

Brick

Mangold

HArris

Edwards

Washington

Why not if the team has the cap space???

I love Rex but his habit of saying half the Jet players are the best at their position will end up causing problems. All these guys he's supposingly donating swagger to with his comments will be using these comments at contract time. And if they don't get salaries comparable to how Rex is rating them in the press there will be problems.

Maybe I'm just a cynical jerk but I have always been leery of Rex's plan of being friends with the people you work with. In the business world you eventually have to do unfriendly things, better to not get people's hopes up in the first place. Do you think Doug Planck likes Rex right now?

I love Rex but his habit of saying half the Jet players are the best at their position will end up causing problems. All these guys he's supposingly donating swagger to with his comments will be using these comments at contract time. And if they don't get salaries comparable to how Rex is rating them in the press there will be problems.

Maybe I'm just a cynical jerk but I have always been leery of Rex's plan of being friends with the people you work with. In the business world you eventually have to do unfriendly things, better to not get people's hopes up in the first place. Do you think Doug Planck likes Rex right now?

Bleh.

All he has to do is tell the players he'll go to bat for them with Tanny, but it's the GM who ultimately makes the money decisions. Easy to do being that it would probably be true.

Bleh.

All he has to do is tell the players he'll go to bat for them with Tanny, but it's the GM who ultimately makes the money decisions. Easy to do being that it would probably be true.

In a uncap year, the money decisions will not be made by Mike T, but by Woody. NFL could start looking like baseball next season.

In a uncap year, the money decisions will not be made by Mike T, but by Woody. NFL could start looking like baseball next season.

No. No one's going crazy. They're going to conduct business expecting a new cap in 2011.

The craziness will come from small market clubs dumping salaries, not the wealthy ones overspending. Except maybe the Cowboys and Redskins. :lol:

No. No one's going crazy. They're going to conduct business expecting a new cap in 2011.

The craziness will come from small market clubs dumping salaries, not the wealthy ones overspending. Except maybe the Cowboys and Redskins. :lol:

Woody has PSL's to sell, Jets have more incentive to spend money; it COULD be an interesting offseason for the Jets.

You start paying top dollar for all these guys...guess what, no cap space

But what's the sense of having cap space if you're not going to spend it?

Oh, let's not re-sign D'Brick so we can have extra cap space to sign a 5th LB. That doesn't work.

You want cap space in order to sign key players like Revis, Mangold, D'Brick, and Harris.

Cap space for the sake of cap space is useless.

That's why I say, the Jets will have the cap space to sign all these guys. In doing so, if they're tight against the cap that's a good thing.

I'd rather be tight against the cap after signing young key players than have all this extra cap room and sign lesser, older players to replace them.

But what's the sense of having cap space if you're not going to spend it?

Oh, let's not re-sign D'Brick so we can have extra cap space to sign a 5th LB. That doesn't work.

You want cap space in order to sign key players like Revis, Mangold, D'Brick, and Harris.

Cap space for the sake of cap space is useless.

That's why I say, the Jets will have the cap space to sign all these guys. In doing so, if they're tight against the cap that's a good thing.

I'd rather be tight against the cap after signing young key players than have all this extra cap room and sign lesser, older players to replace them.

Well Said SMC!