Rex "HEY MIAMI" Tshirt

joebabyny

Sure. And if this were parody - like, say, KSK's blog posts, which use his picture all over the place - it would be protected as such. (BTW, Fallwell v. Hustler had nothing to do with likeness rights)

This isn't parody. You aren't using his image to lampoon him, or anyone else. You'd be using his image to sell t-shirts, to fund a new grill.

So if this is not parody, Rex Ryan actually meant "F U Miami" and his lawyer will argue that?

Of course that is not what Ryan meant, and this creates parody.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What if you worked for an ass kicking company? Would you care that the CEO flicked some idiot off?

Because Rex works for a company that profits off of kicking ass.

I <3 Rex Ryan

weren't you all butt hurt about the crowder thing? i'm curious more then anything else.. changing positions is fine..

So if this is not parody, Rex Ryan actually meant "F U Miami" and his lawyer will argue that?

I admire your tenacity, but implore you to cease and desist. You have 0% chance of winning

:D

1) Damage to his reputation (probably nominal)

2) All profits from the sale of the shirts

3) A reasonable royalty rate for the use of his image (i.e. what he would get paid for doing a commercial) which may be more than you can make on the shirts

4) Even w/o damages, he can get injunctive relief

Yes I doubt a lawsuit would ever come from it but that is where it gets tricky, when profits are involved.

You are acting like I have some interest in your take :)

ok, wrongity wrongenstein

Seriously, I haven't seen a guy so stupidly not throw in the towel since Apollo didn't let Rocky stop the exhibition fight with Drago in Part IV.

This..

:rl:

Congratulations on demonstrating that you have no idea what parody means, as a legal matter. It has nothing at all to do with whether anyone believes that the person pictured means the message (you may be confusing this with Fallwell's holding that their was no reputational damage because nobody believed Fallwell had sex with his mother in an outhouse).

Here's a good article you should read. http://www.publaw.com/parody.html

Seriously . . . watching The People v. Larry Flynt three or four times doesn't make you knowledgeable about conlaw.

Precedent is on my side, but why let that ruin your cheerleading

How?

Lets look at this another way. My dad is a Big and Tall Menswear store owner. If he took out a full page ad in the New York Post with the name of his company, and a photo of Shaq, don't you think he'd get sued, and lose?

How is this any different?

Simple question for you, Scott:

What, in your head, does "parody" mean?

Would a comic book about Mickey and Minnie Mouse having sex and doing drugs be parody?

How?

Lets look at this another way. My dad is a Big and Tall Menswear store owner. If he took out a full page ad in the New York Post with the name of his company, and a photo of Shaq, don't you think he'd get sued, and lose?

How is this any different?

But he wouldn't get sued. Cause it's not a Big, tall AND BLACK store. So haha! It's parody!

Lol at all this legal talk.

I will have the shirt on tailgatejoe in about 2-3 hours to order.

$2 of every shirt goes to the charity I raise money for, the leukemia and lymphoma society. I am a hodgkins survivor.

The balance goes toward a new tailgatejoe grill for next season's tailgate party.

So buy a few and give as gifts, they'll make great opening day 2010 shirts!!

$15 for l-xl

$16 for 2x

$17 for 3-4x

Lol at all this legal talk.

I will have the shirt on tailgatejoe in about 2-3 hours to order.

$2 of every shirt goes to the charity I raise money for, the leukemia and lymphoma society. I am a hodgkins survivor.

The balance goes toward a new tailgatejoe grill for next season's tailgate party.

So buy a few and give as gifts, they'll make great opening day 2010 shirts!!

$15 for l-xl

$16 for 2x

$17 for 3-4x

Sucks being fat.

Comic intent of twisting or distorting the truth.

Well, there's your problem. That's not the legal definition.

Parody needs to say something about the underlying subject, needs to be critical or insightful or have a point of view arising out of the juxtaposition of elements.

Straight up humor isn't parody, no matter how "false" it is

Archived