Ravens owner on Yankees

Obrien2Toon

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=3438

I know it is off topic on the day of the Super Bowl, but did any of you catch this? I absolutely love hearing this from someone in a position like his.

What the Yankees are doing is absolutely ridiculous, and I'm glad he called him out on it.

And I am a lifelong Yankee fan who finally had to give up on them 5 years ago when they got out of hand with this nonsense.

A teams goal is to win. The Yankees built some financial advantages by being smart and creative, along with playing in a big market.

If it was as easy as spending money, the Mets would have a different outlook right now.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=3438

I know it is off topic on the day of the Super Bowl, but did any of you catch this? I absolutely love hearing this from someone in a position like his.

What the Yankees are doing is absolutely ridiculous, and I'm glad he called him out on it.

And I am a lifelong Yankee fan who finally had to give up on them 5 years ago when they got out of hand with this nonsense.

Nice to see a Yankee fan seeing what everyone else does. I know they are playing by the rules...it just makes the game boring.

A teams goal is to win. The Yankees built some financial advantages by being smart and creative, along with playing in a big market.

If it was as easy as spending money, the Mets would have a different outlook right now.

Try being a Pirates fan and being a farm team. Not that I like baseball that much anyways. But ya can only blame management so much for losing all those years. I'd like to see how some of you Yankee fans react if you were in a small market team's shoes. ;)

Nice to see a Yankee fan seeing what everyone else does. I know they are playing by the rules...it just makes the game boring.

So the Yankees should be the one to change the system? That is the part that cracks me up. The Yankees are profitable. The Yankees are sold out. The Yankees just won it all.

But let's blame them for playing within the rules.

I am all for changing the game. But people are misguided in thinking the Yankees should be the "change effort".

Try being a Pirates fan and being a farm team. Not that I like baseball that much anyways. But ya can only blame management so much for losing all those years. I'd like to see how some of you Yankee fans react if you were in a small market team's shoes. ;)

I understand it, I do. Like I said in my last post I just don't understand why people think the Yankees should change what they do.

When the league wants to improve competitive balance I am all for it. Let's start with a payroll floor so those small marketing teams reinvest some of that luxury tax money.

I understand it, I do. Like I said in my last post I just don't understand why people think the Yankees should change what they do.

When the league wants to improve competitive balance I am all for it. Let's start with a payroll floor so those small marketing teams reinvest some of that luxury tax money.

If baseball had a salary cap and revenue sharing it would go a long way towards getting fans back imo.

So the Yankees should be the one to change the system? That is the part that cracks me up. The Yankees are profitable. The Yankees are sold out. The Yankees just won it all.

But let's blame them for playing within the rules.

I am all for changing the game. But people are misguided in thinking the Yankees should be the "change effort".

I didn't say they should change it. I said it makes the game boring, they play over 150 games and every year you know the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox will be there to the end. No parity makes it boring.

I'm only surprised yankee fans still find enjoyment watching them play 100 meaningless games all year.

If baseball had a salary cap and revenue sharing it would go a long way towards getting fans back imo.

Getting fans back?

Until the economy went in the toilet baseball was setting attendance records annually for about five straight years.

Baseball is doing just fine. MLB generated almost $70 billion in revenue last year, just a shade less than the NFL.

Baseball needs a salary floor a lot more than it needs a salary cap. What's obscene is baseball owners who cry poverty and then pocket millions in luxury tax money.

If these owner were really losing money, how come they are not willing to sell their teams?

Smart businessmen don't generally hold on to money-losing businesses.

The Yankees are a great organization. They want to win, and they do what they can to do so. I wish the Steinbrenners owned the Knicks and Rangers instead of Cablevision and the slob James Dolan, who could not care less about winning.

The Steinbrenners figured out how to take advantage of their financial position. I always ask the same questions-would you savahge them nealry as much if they put the money in their pockets rather than spent it on players? And if theya re such a scourge when are the Reds, Pirates, Royals and Marlins going to send back the revenue sharing checks and refuse to schedule them?

Then Bisciotti is an idiot who clearly has no understanding of either Major League Baseball or professional football.

Bisciotti is probally the coolest owner in all pro sports. A regular guy who loves sports, and just happened to make it big.

He was half-joking, but he was stating the obvious that anybody could see except the most ignorant Yankee fans.

And the Mets don't spend anywhere near what the Yankees do.

The Yankees are somehow wrong for building a self sufficient financial juggernaut and then putting mass amounts of money back into the product that they put out on the field?

Maybe it is the small market owners that are the problem... the ones who are pocketing millions of dollars each year from the large market teams that aren't afraid to spend money in an attempt to field a superior product.

BTW... it goes well beyond spending money to build a winning organization. The Mets were tied for 25th in the league with their 70 wins... they were second in payroll.

QFT

Anyone can spend money.. spending it wisely is something different. Hopefully, the Yanks learned from a few of there more dismal decisions during the last 9 years.

-1st post- woohoo!:cheers:

yeah the yankees try to buy championships every year and most people think it's a joke. then yankees fans and tell everyone to quit crying about it. this is news?

Look at the payrolls from 96 - 99. Did they buy their 96 championship with their whopping 60 million dollar payroll? In 98 the Orioles had a higher payroll and half the league was within 30 million of the Yankees payroll... did they buy that one to?

The Yankees always had a high payroll... but the ridiculous discrepancy between them and the rest of the league didn't start until they replaced Martinez with Giambi after the 2001 season and went down hill from there. Throwing ridiculous money at names didn't exactly work for them until this past season.

They built a dynasty because Steinbrenner was suspended and Stick and Watson were able to keep Jeter, Bernie, Mo, Jorge, Andy P, etc. in pinstripes while adding players like Paul O'Neill (who BTW most of the media hated the move from a Yankees perspective) and Tino Martinez in excellent trades.

The Yankees didn't buy championships... they bought disappointment when they tried to buy championships...

Business is good in baseball.

The reason why the big teams started making a little more stink about the small market teams not spending money this year is because the Yankees were finally successful again in buying their championship. It was a good way to deflect attention from that.

The big market teams make the most money for MLB, that means that they have the power. Do you really think that they want to give up the advantage of having a head start on every single top free agent every year? They don't get those players, and they don't make the playoffs nearly every year and then they don't make as much money. I wonder how much money MLB lost out on when the Yankees didn't make the playoffs...

They just want the small market teams to spend a little more money so that the playing field doesn't look so uneven, and so they don't look as bad, not so they can actually compete too. I'm all for it too, but a salary floor isn't going to solve anything on it's own.

All that I know is that the Yankees have like 5 hall of famers on their roster right now, maybe more, and that the Pirates may never have another hall of famer as long as the system is the way it is. I also know that my team at least had some success before there was such a huge discrepancy in team payrolls, and has not had any success since. Will spending another $20 million a year automatically make them a contender every year like the Yankees are? I seriously doubt it.

The players are making the game boring. It is the players going for the money isnt it? You can offer all the cash that you have available....thats not the problem. Its the players wanting to go for the big cheese instead of wanting to play for the Pirates and try to develop something great from scratch.

Im not a Yankee fan, dont really like baseball. But Its the greed thats the problem, not the offer.

We can certainly state the amount of money that the Yankees shell out for payroll....the real question is this...

How many players said NO, and went to another team for a few million dollars less?

Alright then.

I think the Yankees have made the playoffs 9 times in the last 10 years with the highest payroll in the game, how many small market teams have been that successful?

I think the Yankees have made the playoffs 9 times in the last 10 years with the highest payroll in the game, how many small market teams have been that successful?

How many rings has that payroll gotten them in the past 10 years? Better yet, how many small market teams have the Yankees lost to in the Series the past 10 years.

I think those are even better questions.

Biscotti is the man. Guy is the true american success story. Starts company in fathers basement, makes a mil in his first year, grows the company to the largest staffing company in the country, raked Model over the coals and buys an NFL team.

How many rings has that payroll gotten them in the past 10 years? Better yet, how many small market teams have the Yankees lost to in the Series the past 10 years.

I think those are even better questions.

Winning championships isn't the point. Once a team gets into the playoffs, anything can happen in a 5 or 7 game series. Teams get hot and cold, players have good days and bad days. If the Yankees play those teams they lost to 100 times, they probably win more vs every team. That's why its more meaningful to talk about regular season success and getting into the playoffs.

If each year since 2000, the Pirates played the Yankees in a 5 or 7 game series; the Pirates would probably win at least 2 or 3 series. Too bad though, because with the way things are there's no way that the Pirates or any other small market team could have made the playoffs 9 out of 10 times over the past decade. Impossible. They couldn't even make it once because of how poorly they've been managed. The Yankees managed their team poorly here and there too though, but guess what, they still made the playoffs almost every year.

Archived