How Good were The Who!!!

JoeWillie

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They weren't nearly as good as they were in the 1970s or even at the concert for NYC in 2001. But still if the choice is between a classic rock act like the Who and some crappy rap act, I'll take the Who, or someone like that.

Bon Jovi sucks, what you get if you try to copy and mass produce Springsteen and Southside Johnny for a pop audience and added hair extensions.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE The WHO... really .. my top 3 bands..

LOVE them..

and they can still rock beyond belief ( saw them Oct. 2008 at mohegan sun)

but it was almost as if something was up with the sound system last night.

the stage show was great... but it looked as though things were out of sinc..

if you want proof that they can still play and sing..

check out the news conference they did on thursday.. they played 3 songs. they were amazing! here is the link.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/09000d5d816341ed/The-Who-perform

I'd like to slap Janet Jackson in the face for ruining Superbowl halftime shows indefinitely. Bitch!

I'm just proud that I get to live in a culture where we glorify violence for five months, but if there's a flash of female nipple in the middle of the grande finale, moral outrage ensues.

I'm just proud that I get to live in a culture where we glorify violence for five months, but if there's a flash of female nipple in the middle of the grande finale, moral outrage ensues.

I don't disagree with that, entirely. Our culture is eff'd up.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE The WHO... really .. my top 3 bands..

LOVE them..

and they can still rock beyond belief ( saw them Oct. 2008 at mohegan sun)

but it was almost as if something was up with the sound system last night.

the stage show was great... but it looked as though things were out of sinc..

if you want proof that they can still play and sing..

check out the news conference they did on thursday.. they played 3 songs. they were amazing! here is the link.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/09000d5d816341ed/The-Who-perform

I posted it earlier but I believe the instruments are always pre-recorded at the Super Bowl halftime show. Only the vocals are live.

I posted it earlier but I believe the instruments are always pre-recorded at the Super Bowl halftime show. Only the vocals are live.

well if that is the case.. no wonder they didnt sound in sync... they are not the type of live band where that would work.

really people should click that link and listen before they judge the who "done"

Probably the only way he could hit some of those notes.

Thought the show was OK and even some fun moments.

Somehow Pete and Fender don't work for me as well as the old Gibson/Hiwatt Townsend did.

I knew I couldn't be the only one bothered by that. Something about Pete with a strat instead of a Les Paul seemed almost too weird.

Sorry mate - that was one embarrassing show. They were dull and painful to watch. Everybody I was with were shocked how bad they were. Sad to see from a band that produced one of the top 10 albums - Who's Next - of all time. Where the hell did Roger's neck go?

i dont think Who;s Next is in the top 10 of all time

id say Led Zep's 1-4, Makaveli, All Eyez On Me, 36 CHambers, Illmatic, Doggystyle and The Chronic are all better

It wasnt their best work, but it was still great to see them for what may be their last time ever on stage. Townsend looks like he is going through chemo. If that is the case, I think some here are later going to regret some classless comments made about Pioneers on rock music.

I know some of you WHO bashers long for the Justin Timerlake years, but youll just have to wait. Bashing a class act like The Who is ridiculous. Im noit even a big fan but i realise what they did for rock music.

Maybe next year you can get to see some of the recent asshats in popular music perform. Oh thats right they all SUCK

I know some of you WHO bashers long for the Justin Timerlake years, but youll just have to wait. Bashing a class act like The Who is ridiculous. Im noit even a big fan but i realise what they did for rock music.

Maybe next year you can get to see some of the recent asshats in popular music perform. Oh thats right they all SUCK

I'm not a particularly huge fan of hip-hop, but Jay-Z, who did the opening montage for CBS, along with the Opening Ceremony at Yankee Stadium, is at present a far superior entertainer than The Who.

There was a nice tribute to Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, Dick Lebau, et al. before the game, but they didn't ask them to play in it.

who the hell do you younger people want? Kanye West? Let me tell you, Ive heard live recordings of him and other Newer "Stars" He sucks live, everything he records uses synthesizer heavily to compensate for lack of talent.

I will take to classic acts over any of the more modern acts any day. Well, if they have Lady GaGa perform, I would be interested. Thats only because I admire her level of creativity.

There are alot of good bands they can use, Van Halen, U2, AC/DC, Huey Lewis...

The WHO did good enough for what they are. The problem I have is with the networks in general. Ever since Janet and her booby they have been going ultra safe for the Half Time shows and that bothers me. There needs to be something more interesting happening then Tom Petty, Springsteen and the Who...I did enjoy hearing these guys but its just a little blah for the spectacle that the SB show is supposed to be IMO. At least two of these guys perform, maybe sing some of eachothers songs.

GAS = Guitar Acquisition Syndrome? (or Gear?)

Gear, absolutely.

I miss the Hiwatts.

Clapton did an ad yesterday, I saw a Fender logo with an Iphone app. Maybe Fender was a sponsor of the SB?

Those old Hiwatts are awesome, no doubt, but those Zinky designed Vibro-Kings are really nice amps, too. For a modern production amp, they're way up there.

Fender is everywhere nowadays. Seems like every time there's a guitar in a movie scene or on a TV show, it's a Fender. The FreeCreditReport.com guys may as well be doing Fender commercials. I think I've seen every guitar they make in that commercial series.

I'm not a particularly huge fan of hip-hop, but Jay-Z, who did the opening montage for CBS, along with the Opening Ceremony at Yankee Stadium, is at present a far superior entertainer than The Who.

Seen him twice over the past few years, I can not stress enough how much of an awesome performance he puts on every time he's on stage. Almost every track off the the first Blueprint translates pretty awesome over to live performances, and he's really found a way to make a lot of tracks that you wouldn't expect to sound like much live have their own flavor. Out of all the rap shows I've been to in my life I'd put him probably only second to Wu Tang , and a lot of that show had to do with them performing with Rage.

Talib Kweli does a great job also fwiw, outstanding performer who never gets his due.

Fender is everywhere nowadays. Seems like every time there's a guitar in a movie scene or on a TV show, it's a Fender. The FreeCreditReport.com guys may as well be doing Fender commercials. I think I've seen every guitar they make in that commercial series.

Especially the Strat shape, it's like THE shape for an electric guitar.

Must admit it's pretty cool.

Archived