Stallworth released by Browns

flgreen

The Cleveland Browns terminated the contract of wide receiver Donte' Stallworth, the team announced Monday.

3541.jpg

Stallworth

After a year-long suspension for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk, Stallworth was reinstated Sunday by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Goodell said Friday he met with Stallworth about a month ago, and the receiver is "in a better place than he was." Goodell said Stallworth recognized what he did wrong and has prepared himself to return to the NFL.

Stallworth, 28, was charged with DUI manslaughter March 14 in an early morning accident that killed 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a Miami construction worker who was on his way home.

Stallworth's blood-alcohol level after the crash was .126, well above Florida's legal limit of .08, according to results of a blood test.

In mid-June, Stallworth was given a 30-day jail sentence, of which he served 24 days, and reached an undisclosed financial settlement with Reyes' family. Two days after sentencing, the NFL suspended Stallworth indefinitely without pay.

Stallworth played just one season for the Browns after signing a seven-year, $35 million contract in 2008. That year he recorded 17 receptions for 170 yards in 11 games.

Monday's release officially makes Stallworth an unrestricted free agent.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com. The Associated Press contributed to this story.

29 years old. Pretty productive. Position of need.

With how limited the Jets will be in FA, it might be worth a shot to talk to him. If the Browns just released him, he is fair game

Hes a better option than Clowney. The problem of course is the baggage. Hes got a vehiculiar homicide dui on his rap sheet. Id be concerned about the overall image it will bring to the JETS. Id much rather see him in a Raiders uni.

I could care less about the image. Rex is making the Jets the team everyone loves to hate any way.

What’s important is if Stallworth has learned his lesson, and is he ready to play. He is way better then anyone the Jets have for #3. He is also better then anyone they are likely to get with the “no cap” situation

We are not the Oakland Raiders. We can get better options than Stallworth who hasn't produced in a long time. He even sucked with Tom Brady throwing to him.

No thanks.

This.

Wring your hands all you want. The reason Stallworth is a bad option has nothing to do with the fact that he killed a guy with his car and everything to do with the fact that he's bad at football.

Security cameras showed that the guy Stallworth hit was crossing the street in the middle while stumbling around. The guy he hit was drunker than he was. Its because of the videotape that the family of the victim isn't on the warpath and he got off so easily.

My opinion is he paid a high enough price and its time to move on. If he can still play and will help the team then get him.

agreed, not even looking at talent vs. talent. just the fact that he was driving wasted and killed someone he shouldn't even be let out of jail yet. Plax is just an idiot. if stallworth had killed someone because of an accident, then I'd say yes.

so carrying a loaded gun into a crowded bar in Manhatten is better then DUI manslaughter charges? Plax was just lucky that he shot himself instead of someone else or he would be under his jail cell now..

SAY NO TO BOTH..

so carrying a loaded gun into a crowded bar in Manhatten is better then DUI manslaughter charges? Plax was just lucky that he shot himself instead of someone else or he would be under his jail cell now..

SAY NO TO BOTH..

Out of the two criminal offense yes, Plax's was not as servere. You can't incriminate someone on what might have happened, only what happened. The dude was carrying an illegal fire arm, got caught, is serving his time. The only person he hurt was himself. Stallworth killed someone because he got drunk and high. Complete disregard for other people. Just my opinion.

Security cameras showed that the guy Stallworth hit was crossing the street in the middle while stumbling around. The guy he hit was drunker than he was. Its because of the videotape that the family of the victim isn't on the warpath and he got off so easily.

My opinion is he paid a high enough price and its time to move on. If he can still play and will help the team then get him.

Yep

The court kind of ruled that Stallworth would have hit him drunk or sober, hence the light sentence.

If Ray Ray can still play in the NFL so should Stallworth.

We are not talking about him taking away Cotchery

So, I guess you are calling it a "push"? Amazing logic.

I don't know if I want him or not, I am on the fence. He can be productive and showed that, he is still under 30 and can run the underneath routes. However, he could be a cancer and he has been a journeyman.

However, just as a side note. The final 8 rule does not apply to him because he was under contract and released, the final 8 rule in an uncapped year only applies to those players who were already UFA. Any player who is released is fair game.