we can finally put this katrina BS to bed

johnny green balls

so NO won the big one, they have defeated all of their collective demons with years of futility and Katrina (which was 4.5 years ago). so can we finally stop hearing about that freaking hurricane? ok fine it was a massive disaster but attributing the saints with some sort of destiny from a 5 year old storm was getting ridiculous. i hope that now we don't need to hear anything else about it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so NO won the big one, they have defeated all of their collective demons with years of futility and Katrina (which was 4.5 years ago). so can we finally stop hearing about that freaking hurricane? ok fine it was a massive disaster but attributing the saints with some sort of destiny from a 5 year old storm was getting ridiculous. i hope that now we don't need to hear anything else about it.

The media created, coddled, and then blew their loads over the Saints and Katrina.

Kind of like the Pats winning the SB after 9/11. Patriots, heroes, Americas team, and all that jazz right?

I tried this thread last week, and it ended badly.......so badly, Max had to close it. Yes a Mod closing a mod's thread.

i like your style.

The media created, coddled, and then blew their loads over the Saints and Katrina.

Kind of like the Pats winning the SB after 9/11. Patriots, heroes, Americas team, and all that jazz right?

what the media giveth, the media taketh away. there will be a backlash if they continue with the "down and out saints" mantra next year just like the whole country grew sick and tired of the non-stop media ball washing of brady and company and now they are the most hated team in sports.

Conspiracy theory in full effect!

Pats win after 9/11 and then Saints win 4 years after a hurricane destroyed most of New Orleans.

JGB. I'm with you on the media idiots. That is all it is. The media.

Pats are hated because they cheated!!!

New Orleans on the other hand is a great story

I tried this thread last week, and it ended badly.......so badly, Max had to close it. Yes a Mod closing a mod's thread.

This will end badly too when one of the following Tags are used:

1) 9/11

2) Bush

3) Mississippi

4) Incompetence

5) FEMA

IMO, FEMA really demonstrated their incompetence with their mishandling of Katrina, although people in Biloxi, Mississippi are REALLY the ones who should be pissed off. Bush handled 9/11 magnificently in comparison.

IBTL!

Uh, go to New Orleans, then talk. That city is changed forever because of Katrina. Parts of the city still look like it was just hit yesterday.

The fans of that city deserve this, and there's no reason to not use that as a human interest story.

This thread is downright stupid.

I could not agree more. Think about the fact that there are still entire families living in tents in the USA because of that storm. Sorry if you don't want to hear bout it anymore. It's real.

Nobody mentions that Katrina gave the denizens of NO the opportunity to hone their looting and pillaging skills. Easy to overlook the positives -- so damn myopic.

The news mentioned it. Even called them refugees remember?....for quite a while actually. Wrongfully so, but its all good i guess. Then again, when is there anything "good" on the news for us to look forward to anyway? Crime drops 20+ percent yet crime on the news goes up 600+ percent. You figure that out...and when you do you'll be called a refugee.

FEMA all the way! (sarcasm).

I could not agree more. Think about the fact that there are still entire families living in tents in the USA because of that storm. Sorry if you don't want to hear bout it anymore. It's real.

I was down there for the Jets-Saints game this year and could not have experienced a more gracious group of hosts. Fan after fan after fan approached us in our Jets jerseys to actually thank us for coming down and encouraged us to have a good time. All weekend. Unsolicited.

These people get it. Our tourist dollars are precious down there, and they know it. Meanwhile, there's dummies up here who are quite the opposite. They just don't get it.

I was down there for the Jets-Saints game this year and could not have experienced a more gracious group of hosts. Fan after fan after fan approached us in our Jets jerseys to actually thank us for coming down and encouraged us to have a good time. All weekend. Unsolicited.

These people get it. Our tourist dollars are precious down there, and they know it. Meanwhile, there's dummies up here who are quite the opposite. They just don't get it.

+1

I hear its a beautiful place too, just like the people.

Uh, go to New Orleans, then talk. That city is changed forever because of Katrina. Parts of the city still look like it was just hit yesterday.

The fans of that city deserve this, and there's no reason to not use that as a human interest story.

Great post.

If you don't wanna hear about Katrina or the feel good story for the city of New Orleans just simply change the channel. I see no reason whatsoever to be complaining about it.

:sucks:

i don't get the hate for the New Orleans/Katrina story. Some of ya'll are so ignorant .. maybe it's cuz we're up north and we will prbly nvr be as devastated by Hurricane as New Orleans was. It'll prbly take a lot longer than 4-5 years to recover from a big natural disaster like that

I can't speak for everyone in this thread, but I went to New Orleans this past summer to help out in the 9th ward, and that doesn't change how I feel about it. The rest of New Orleans is fine, the 9th ward is like a 3rd world country hit it, and no one in the community wants to take ownership; they're still waiting for the government and missionaries to fix all the problems. We were paintiing a church down there and the next day it was covered in graffiti.

I'm planning to go back in July and definitely feel for some of the people down there who are still proud of that community and trying to do something about it, but for the most part, apathy abounds.

Quoted for ****ing truth!!! Get a ****ing clue!! I'll admit that sometimes I'm really ashamed to admit that I'm a Jets fan. And it's because of some of this garbage... Thankfully, for the most part, I can separate our team and my love for it from the rest of this idiocy. Good God. Sometimes as a fanbase we're not the sharpest bunch. In the knife drawer we would be a bunch of spoons... smh...

This. A thousand times, this

my point is that is has nothing to do with a football team and the increasingly-forced linking of the two marginalizes the true suffering involved.

"i lost my house but the saints won! everything is great again!"

my point is that is has nothing to do with a football team and the increasingly-forced linking of the two marginalizes the true suffering involved.

"i lost my house but the saints won! everything is great again!"

It has everything to do with the Football team. The SuperDome was home to thousands of people after they lost their homes. They have a tie to the team like no other. Stop being a douche.

x2. Was there for week 4. Had a lot of time to explore the city and it's just heartbreaking how that much of the city still hasn't recovered. Even heard a few stories from locals who are still estranged from family members. Go Saints is all I have to say, whatever helps that city get through a lot of the stuff that it's still going through.

I had the exact same experience.

I even apologized in advance if they ever came to a game up here. I told them they were too nice to us, and wouldn't be treated the same way.

At least that was relevant. Katrina was 4/5 years ago, 9/11 was the same season the Patriots won the Super Bowl.

I too hope we don't have to hear about ****ing Katrina anymore. Enough already. It happened, move on, stop talking about it, actually do something about it, government.

Please. Colts fans were the same and that was for the AFC Championship. Sure, there were a couple of a-holes in Indy, but there were some in New Orleans I'm sure as well. Its the midwest and the south, they're all too nice.

At least that was relevant. Katrina was 4/5 years ago, 9/11 was the same season the Patriots won the Super Bowl.

I too hope we don't have to hear about ****ing Katrina anymore. Enough already. It happened, move on, stop talking about it, actually do something about it, government.

How exactly do you expect the government to do something that you want totally ignored otherwise?

You're digging yourself deeper into the hole of ignorance here. If you don't want to hear about it, that's your thing. But don't get on others case for discussing it. It doesn't matter how long ago it was. If the Saints Super Bowl victory even brings a smile to the face of some of these people for two minutes, it is worth talking about. But it does more than that. It gives the people of that city a common ground and a reason to celebrate together. That haven't had that since the storm.

It has everything to do with the Football team. The SuperDome was home to thousands of people after they lost their homes. They have a tie to the team like no other. Stop being a douche.

i can definitely be a douche but it has nothing to do with the media's specious "connection" of a weather phenomenon with a game played over 4 years after the event. it was a story in the season after the hurricane but not a half a decade later.

We as a country are fortunate. War has never been ravaged on our soil in our lifetime. 9/11 was the closest thing to that and for one moment in time, this very fractured nation united as one. Humans unite in times of great human suffering. It unites us all and obviously the impact for the local community will always be there.

I watched the towers go down from the top of my parking deck at college. It's a memory I will never forget. To this day I can remember what it felt like. Just because that happened 8-9 years ago doesn't mean it didn't have a profound effect on people who grew up there and saw it happen. It doesn't mean that because it happened that airlines and other security procedures should become more lax because "Hey it was awhile ago, who cares!"

Katrina was the same thing for the people of New Orleans. I work with a wonderful girl from New Orleans who was displaced after Katrina. She is one of the fortunate people who was able to leave and start life anew. But from what she has told me about it, is that it's something that to this day she remembers. Something that forever changed her life and united her city together. Her husband is a gigantic Saints fan who has told me why he believes the city loves the Saints the way they do. After Katrina what was there for New Orleans? Just devastation, and people tried to put there life back together. I can't imagine the despair of that. Anger for FEMA's horrid response time, all of these feelings were negative, expected out of such a disaster.

But then came the Saints, and for a moment in time they transcended everyones expectations and offered the locals a positive thing to rally around. Something that allowed a momentary escape from their everyday lives. Isnt' that what football is to all of us? Some of you spend your entire day grilling, tailgating, drinking, etc. Getting away from your jobs and life for a few hours to relish in something you can enjoy with friends and family. The Saints became that for New Orleans in the most dire of times.

Yes it was 4 1/2 years ago, but it doesn't mean that the memory is still not fresh for those residents who as DLJ even pointed out, called the Superdome "home" during the disaster. There are still areas being rebuilt to this day even as pointed out by others who have seen them. So for you guys who are such tough guys and think we should just "get over it" that sentiment is yours and yours alone. I personally think that New Orleans residents have been infected with enough negativity over the whole ordeal and this championship for their city is something positive for them to enjoy and relish. And yes, whether you like it or not, Katrina makes it that much more special for them and that's what I've gathered from a New Orleans native. Me as a person, I will applaud that persons joy for what they have dealt with in their life.

Archived