we can finally put this katrina BS to bed

johnny green balls

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh, go to New Orleans, then talk. That city is changed forever because of Katrina. Parts of the city still look like it was just hit yesterday.

The fans of that city deserve this, and there's no reason to not use that as a human interest story.

Actually there's a whole panoply of reasons, starting with the one you list in the first sentence of your post.

i can definitely be a douche but it has nothing to do with the media's specious "connection" of a weather phenomenon with a game played over 4 years after the event. it was a story in the season after the hurricane but not a half a decade later.

Sounds to me like you're looking for something to be upset about, and you've found it. You should be happy. That is, if you weren't so upset.

I have been to New Orleans a couple of times in the last couple of years-most people there were so nice and thankful for out of towners to come to their city. So let them have some joy in a saints victory for a city that was ravaged and still parts ravaged.

I have been to New Orleans a couple of times in the last couple of years-most people there were so nice and thankful for out of towners to come to their city. So let them have some joy in a saints victory for a city that was ravaged and still parts ravaged.

Yeah the whole city was completely ravaged. Something all of us pray NEVER happens to us. I can't see taking issue with it being a story while their team made a SB run and won it.

It's not like they brought this disaster on themselvs and asked for a major story line.

Sympathy for the unfortunate is understandable and it is a great story.

Uh, go to New Orleans, then talk. That city is changed forever because of Katrina. Parts of the city still look like it was just hit yesterday.

The fans of that city deserve this, and there's no reason to not use that as a human interest story.

This thread is downright stupid.

I live in Florida, in an area that is not likely to be leveled by a hurricane (knock on wood), but you know what? If it were to happen, I carry hurricane insurance and flood insurance on my property because I am a responsible adult who plans ahead. I am sick and tired of reading about communities who have a three day notice of an impending natural disaster and then want us to feel sorry when it hits them and they don't have the means to rebuild. If everyone would place the blame for their lot in life with the person who stares at them in the mirror each day, this country would be a much better place. I can step off my soapbox, now.

I live in Florida, in an area that is not likely to be leveled by a hurricane (knock on wood), but you know what? If it were to happen, I carry hurricane insurance and flood insurance on my property because I am a responsible adult who plans ahead. I am sick and tired of reading about communities who have a three day notice of an impending natural disaster and then want us to feel sorry when it hits them and they don't have the means to rebuild. If everyone would place the blame for their lot in life with the person who stares at them in the mirror each day, this country would be a much better place. I can step off my soapbox, now.

Oh yea, that's sensible. Considering that everyone in the 9th ward and the poorest areas of NO that were hit the worst have the means to afford both of those insurances... As a responsible adult I'm hoping and praying that mother nature never makes you eat your words. There's much more than material things that can be taken away from you and in such cases your insurance wouldn't mean jack!!! And anyway it's probably not a good idea to ASSume that anyone wants us to feel sorry for them. Some of these folks are very dignified people who just happened to fall on some hard times by the hand of God. Here's hoping that same hand doesn't smack you off that soapbox...

I tried this thread last week, and it ended badly.......so badly, Max had to close it. Yes a Mod closing a mod's thread.

This will end badly too when one of the following Tags are used:

1) 9/11

2) Bush

3) Mississippi

4) Incompetence

5) FEMA

I am not a mod. I am the Landlord.

So you're saying they deserved it. Nice.

Meh, cynicism's played out.

The idea that a sports championship somehow salves the pain of losing homes, possessions, and relatives is not only brainlessly glib, it's monstrously insulting. Don't use the cynicism boogeyman to defend the Jim Grays of the world against those of us who can think. You're better than that.

The idea that a sports championship somehow salves the pain of losing homes, possessions, and relatives is not only brainlessly glib, it's monstrously insulting. Don't use the cynicism boogeyman to defend the Jim Grays of the world against those of us who can think. You're better than that.

I think the issue mainly lies in the fact that some people believe that this is going to cure everything. Or that people think that other people believe that. And perhaps the media is playing it up to be that. The point of my post was to illustrate was that due to all that **** they went through this for just a VERY BRIEF moment in time allows a city who experienced an insane amount of tragedy something very positive. I dunno, for me I liken it to my x vs my wife. My x was a nightmare, the girl ruined me and my self esteem and everything terrible in the world. I met my wife and because of my previous experiences, I savor every moment of her and because of my past I can appreciate it more. I don't know if that makes any sense.

This thread is downright stupid.

hey parts of philly look they were just hit by a hurricane too.......

I don't think that anyone is claiming that this fixes anything. The point is that is a temporary moment of escape. A fleeting moment of joy where just for a second they can maybe forget what is still going on. Even if that is only 1 second, it's worth it. Good for them, they deserve it. What is ultimately "brainless" and "insulting" is whining about it. What is the point? If you don't like it, STFU and change the channel.

What are we saying? That if you experience some tragedy in life, there's no point in ever trying to find little joys in life afterwards, because at the end of the day, you still have to deal with the bigger problem? Why not just kill yourself then?

I don't think that anyone is claiming that this fixes anything. The point is that is a temporary moment of escape. A fleeting moment of joy where just for a second they can maybe forget what is still going on. Even if that is only 1 second, it's worth it. Good for them, they deserve it. What is ultimately "brainless" and "insulting" is whining about it. What is the point? If you don't like it, STFU and change the channel.

What are we saying? That if you experience some tragedy in life, there's no point in ever trying to find little joys in life afterwards, because at the end of the day, you still have to deal with the bigger problem? Why not just kill yourself then?

Great points by both you and Vicious in this thread. I dont care how long ago Katrina was... That entire city was ravaged, communities torn apart, infectious diseases and micro-organisms everywhere...Dead bodies lying rotting in what used to be main streets. Im sorry, but being involved in those memories and that type of catastrophe is not something you just "move on" from. Almost all of us will remember the events of 9/11 for the rest of our lives...Where we were, when we first heard about it, and the combined emotions of shock and sadness that went through all of our minds as we turned on the tv's and radios and watched/listened to the tragedy unfolding. Yet, for most of us, that tragedy did not directly effect us and our everyday life. We did not have to find shelter because our homes had been destroyed... We did not have to worry about catching infectious diseases and smell the rotting bodies of friends and family in the streets when you walked outside...

No, the Saints winning the Superbowl doesn't fix anything. It doesn't bring back the people who died... It doesn't rebuild the families and communities destroyed. All it does is gives the people of NO something to hope for... Something to even be somewhat excited about. Something the entire city can be excited about, together. Remember, 4 or 5 years ago it was a question whether the SuperDome would ever be able to host another football game again, or if New Orleans would ever be a place capable of hosting an NFL franchise again. The Saints defied the odds and are now Super Bowl champions, playing in their very own SuperDome, which also was the shelter of some thousands of dislocated people four and a half years ago.

Does that mean the rest of New Orleans and its people will defy the odds and come back just as glorious? Of course not. Does it give them that small sliver of hope that doing so is a small possibility? Of course it does.

When tragedy strikes... People affected naturally look for comfort and unity. They found both in rooting for the Saints. I am proud of their joy and unison in doing so, and am even more proud of hearing the Saints players talk about how much of an honor it was to win it for the city that has rallied behind them and supported them every step of the way despite all they had gone through. Its a great story, whether you are sick of it or not.

I think the issue mainly lies in the fact that some people believe that this is going to cure everything. Or that people think that other people believe that. And perhaps the media is playing it up to be that. The point of my post was to illustrate was that due to all that **** they went through this for just a VERY BRIEF moment in time allows a city who experienced an insane amount of tragedy something very positive. I dunno, for me I liken it to my x vs my wife. My x was a nightmare, the girl ruined me and my self esteem and everything terrible in the world. I met my wife and because of my previous experiences, I savor every moment of her and because of my past I can appreciate it more. I don't know if that makes any sense.

It makes complete sense. This is pretty much my viewpoint as well.

I think we're arguing the same point. I'm glad the Saints won, but mainly because the team has sucked even harder than we have for even longer than we have and seeing Tom F***ing Benson hoisting the Lombardi gives me hope. My entire point is nothing more than the fact that sports have nothing to do with "deserving." Katrina was a major tragedy; Super Bowl XLIV was a relatively minor fortuity. The only insulting part is that plenty of media people would have us believe that the two are basically equivalent.

• 3 years later...

Archived