What is Dan Marino's legacy?

Blackout

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not an excuse, great quarterbacks make the team around them better

And Marino did that.

He made the Marks brothers into pro-bowlers when they were nothing but JAGs.

He led a successful offense without a running game in an era when teams needed a running game to be successful on offense.

A Dolphin, so I understand the hate on this board.

But I also respected the heck out of him and loved watching him play when he wasn't playing against us.

Of the QBs I saw play in their prime, in terms of total accomplishments, I'd put him Top 10, with the only knock being not winning a Super Bowl. Had he beaten Montana in the one he played in, he'd probably be Top 5, as unfair as that may seem.

1. Elway

2. Montana

3. Brady

4. Staubach

5. Bradshaw

6. Marino

7. Manning

8. Aikman

9. Warner

10. Namath

11. Fouts

12. Favre

13. Tarkenton

14. Young

15. Kelly

However, he is, to this day, without question, the greatest downfield passer of the football I've ever seen, followed by Manning, Namath, Fouts and Warner.

Keep in mind, I'm one of the older guys on this board, so I'm a bit partial to the guys who played in the 70's when it was much more difficult to throw the ball because of the rules. It was a much different game then.

a guy I wish we had drafted and all would have been lucky enough to have watched as our QB for almost 2 decades. I like him a lot as an analyst these days-he's getting close to Phil Simms' ability to speak without rancor or prejudice...he's really gotten a lot better

He never really had a great team around him.

The 80's Dolphins were essentially the 2007 Patriots, with a much worse defense. They were ahead of their time, but unfortunately that wasn't necessarily a good thing.

By the time the major rule changes came into effect, Marino was way past his prime. Not to mention the K-Gun Bills were always better than they were, and blocked Marino from reaching another Super Bowl in a couple of his prime years.

A Dolphin, so I understand the hate on this board.

But I also respected the heck out of him and loved watching him play when he wasn't playing against us.

Of the QBs I saw play in their prime, in terms of total accomplishments, I'd put him Top 10, with the only knock being not winning a Super Bowl. Had he beaten Montana in the one he played in, he'd probably be Top 5, as unfair as that may seem.

1. Elway

2. Montana

3. Brady

4. Staubach

5. Bradshaw

6. Marino

7. Manning

8. Aikman

9. Warner

10. Namath

11. Fouts

12. Favre

13. Tarkenton

14. Young

15. Kelly

However, he is, to this day, without question, the greatest downfield passer of the football I've ever seen, followed by Manning, Namath, Fouts and Warner.

Keep in mind, I'm one of the older guys on this board, so I'm a bit partial to the guys who played in the 70's when it was much more difficult to throw the ball because of the rules. It was a much different game then.

Honest question. If you were starting a team today, and you could pick any of those guys in their prime years, would you still have Marino at 6?

Imagine what kind of numbers he could put up today.

Honest question. If you were starting a team today, and you could pick any of those guys in their prime years, would you still have Marino at 6?

Great question.

If I were to start a team with any of them in their prime, my order would be:

1. John Elway

2. Dan Marino

3. Joe Namath

"In their prime" being the key qualifier.

I always had him as my top Qb while he was playing because watching him was amazing, and I never listened to those who said because he never won a ring, automatically knock him down.

But..the more the years go by that I dont see him play and ******* like Manning (big bro and lil bro) win rings, favre faggot ass @ 40, and even warner taking a bad team to the championship, makes me bring him down a few notches. He did everything a QB was supposed to do, except win, and that removes him from my top 5 automatically.

...also doesnt help that hes the weakest link on CBS and looks like a ****ing used car salesman..he needs to do like MJ and hide for a bit, put some mystery around you, add to your legend dont do **** to take away from it.

I'd stick with my top 3 as I had it:

1. Montana

2. Elway

3. Marino

I'd stick with my top 3 as I had it:

1. Montana

2. Elway

3. Marino

Don't get me wrong, I loved Montana. He was great and the epitome of a big game QB, but he was, in my opinion, the definition of a "system" quarterback who was surrounded by great players.

He, by himself, did not instill fear in defenses the way Marino or even Namath did in their prime with their downfield passing.

Montana, for all his success, was predominantly a short/medium range thrower who accumulated much of his yardage with "runs after the catch". I believe his "yards per completion" was one of the shortest averages of any of the big name QBs.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him on my team ... but Elway, Marino and Namath could do things in their prime to put pressure on a defense that Montana couldn't do by himself.

Just my opinion.

You can't go wrong with any of them, though.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Montana. He was great and the epitome of a big game QB, but he was, in my opinion, the definition of a "system" quarterback who was surrounded by great players.

He, by himself, did not instill fear in defenses the way Marino or even Namath did in their prime with their downfield passing.

Montana, for all his success, was predominantly a short/medium range thrower who accumulated much of his yardage with "runs after the catch". I believe his "yards per completion" was one of the shortest averages of any of the big name QBs.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't take him on my team ... but Elway, Marino and Namath could do things in their prime to put pressure on a defense that Montana couldn't do by himself.

Just my opinion.

You can't go wrong with any of them, though.

Have to disagree with your take on Montana considering that Montana led the Chiefs to the AFC title game his 1st year there. He didn't have the "great players" there and still had high success.

Montana also had the many 4th quarter comebacks. So I would say he put a lot of pressure on defense, although not by the deep ball.

While it's true his receivers were known for their YACs more than Montana was known for his downfield passing, Montana's throwing ability was more similar to Peyton Manning than Manning is to Marino.

Marino had the strong arm and lightning quick release. Montana had the laser precision like Peyton, and Elway had the cannon.

As for Namath, his era was too different than what the other 3 played in to put him at the top of the list for me. Namath had the great downfield passing because that's all passing was in that era. There were no short and medium throws. That, and QBs getting the crap kicked out of them each game makes it hard to put him in the discussion.

Have to disagree with your take on Montana considering that Montana led the Chiefs to the AFC title game his 1st year there. He didn't have the "great players" there and still had high success.

Montana also had the many 4th quarter comebacks. So I would say he put a lot of pressure on defense, although not by the deep ball.

While it's true his receivers were known for their YACs more than Montana was known for his downfield passing, Montana's throwing ability was more similar to Peyton Manning than Manning is to Marino.

Marino had the strong arm and lightning quick release. Montana had the laser precision like Peyton, and Elway had the cannon.

As for Namath, his era was too different than what the other 3 played in to put him at the top of the list for me. Namath had the great downfield passing because that's all passing was in that era. There were no short and medium throws. That, and QBs getting the crap kicked out of them each game makes it hard to put him in the discussion.

Again, I don't want to come off like I'm bashing Montana ... I did have him #2 on my Top 15 list of QB's, career wise. Your point about the 4th quarter comebacks is a good one.

The next question was "if I was starting a team and could take any QB in their prime, who would it be?".

I love Montana, but with all due respect, to put him in the same class as a downfield passer with Dan Marino or Joe Namath is a stretch.

Yes, he did take the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game in his first year, but that situation was not unlike Favre and the Vikings of this year. The Chiefs were a 10-6 playoff team the year before he got there. The only thing they lacked was a QB. Montana got them a little closer to the big game, but got hurt in the Championship Game and that was that.

I've been a Jets fan since the late 60's and I hate the Dolphins more than anybody, but to me, Marino was simply the greatest passer I ever saw. The Dolphins of the 80's were nothing without him, much like Manning's Colts. Had they had any kind of defense in those years, Marino would have had at least one ring, maybe more.

Elway was a freak of nature, probably the best athlete to ever play the position ... played in 5 Super Bowls, 3 of which his team had no business playing in if not for him. He carried those teams more than any QB I've ever seen.

Namath did not have the career the others had due to injury, but in his prime, he was Koufax ... for a four or five year period he was not only the best QB in the league, he was the most dominant offensive player in the game. Opposing defenses schemed to stop him and him alone when they played the Jets, very much like Manning in today's game.

I never saw Graham or Unitas in their prime so it would be foolish for me to pick one of them.

Montana was awesome, though.

Again, I'll take any of them on my team, as this whole exercise is "splitting hairs". All these players were great, Super Bowls not withstanding.

All I can say about his legacy, is that I was always happy he was the Fins starting qb for the last 10 years of his career.

Because I was always thought we had a shot to beat them if he was their starter.

He put up monster numbers early in his career, but I wouldn't even put him in the top 20.

Great question.

If I were to start a team with any of them in their prime, my order would be:

1. John Elway

2. Dan Marino

3. Joe Namath

"In their prime" being the key qualifier.

I know its not going to be popular around here, and I know injuries had a lot to do with it. But have you ever seen Namath's stats.

I never seen him play, so I guess he must have been one of those guys you need to see to realize how good he was, but his numbers were awful.

Career completion % 50. Td's 173 INTS 220.

Those stats wouldn't keep you in the league for 2 years now adays.

Archived