What is Dan Marino's legacy?

Blackout

All I can say about his legacy, is that I was always happy he was the Fins starting qb for the last 10 years of his career.

Because I was always thought we had a shot to beat them if he was their starter.

He put up monster numbers early in his career, but I wouldn't even put him in the top 20.

Really?

Would love to hear the names of the 20 QBs you saw play who you think were better.

Seriously.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know its not going to be popular around here, and I know injuries had a lot to do with it. But have you ever seen Namath's stats.

I never seen him play, so I guess he must have been one of those guys you need to see to realize how good he was, but his numbers were awful.

Career completion % 50. Td's 173 INTS 220.

Those stats wouldn't keep you in the league for 2 years now adays.

You answered your own question ... You had to see him play in his prime to appreciate how good he was.

Injuries ravaged his career and he was, for all intents and purposes, passed his prime by the 1970 season. In '70 and '71 he was hurt for most of both seasons, and by 1972, although he made All-Pro that year, the guy could hardly walk, and as a result, his career stats were a product of that, as well as the time he played, the place he played, and the teams he played for later in his career.

But if you asked the question "In their prime, who were the greatest passers in NFL History" and polled ONLY football fans over the age of 50, in other words, people who were old enough to see him play in his prime ... I guarantee Namath would make the Top 10, maybe Top 5 and Marino would be no worse than Top 3.

Really?

Would love to hear the names of the 20 QBs you saw play who you think were better.

Seriously.

Well you're cutting out alot by saying who I saw. But my top 10 of who I saw would go.

1-Manning

2-Montana

3-Elway

4-Brady

5-Young

6-Aikman

7-Kelly

8-Favre

9,10 tie between Marino, Fouts, and Moon.

All 3 great arms who were overrated by putting up ridiculous stats on mediocre teams.

if i could start ateam with any qb in his prime it's joe montana without thinking twice.

But you don't get Jerry Rice. Still want em'?

I put Montana in the 4-5 range if I'm starting a team today. Marino, IMO, is the greatest pure-passer of all-time, and the NFL is obviously a passing league.

I do believe Montana was a great QB, but I never saw him succeed without a great team around him.

1. Montana

2. Elway

3. Manning

4. Unitas

5. Graham

6. Staubach

7. Bradshaw

8. Favre

9. Young

10. Aikman

Of QB's that I've witnessed with my own to eyes...

1. Elway

2. Montana

3. Brady

4. Young

5. Manning

6. Favre

7. Warner

8. Aikman

9. Marino

10. Kelly/Moon

Elway was a freak of nature, probably the best athlete to ever play the position ... played in 5 Super Bowls, 3 of which his team had no business playing in if not for him. He carried those teams more than any QB I've ever seen.

I hated Elway for his entire career, and I can't tell you how disappointed I was that he finished up with two Super Bowls.

His cry-baby antics when he came out in the draft dwarfed any complaints about Eli and the Chargers. He not only said that he wouldn't play for the Colts, but that if they drafted him he'd play baseball instead. He had a contract offer from the Yankees at the time. The Colts got raped in that trade as a result.

Man, it would've been double-sweet for the Jets to've beaten him in the '98-99 game.

I hated Elway for his entire career, and I can't tell you how disappointed I was that he finished up with two Super Bowls.

His cry-baby antics when he came out in the draft dwarfed any complaints about Eli and the Chargers. He not only said that he wouldn't play for the Colts, but that if they drafted him he'd play baseball instead. He had a contract offer from the Yankees at the time. The Colts got raped in that trade as a result.

Man, it would've been double-sweet for the Jets to've beaten him in the '98-99 game.

I agree ... but "crybaby antics" aside, on pure ability, he was probably the best athlete to ever play the position and carried teams on his back by himself in a way that Montana, as great as he was, NEVER did.

1. Montana

2. Elway

3. Manning

4. Unitas

5. Graham

6. Staubach

7. Bradshaw

8. Favre

9. Young

10. Aikman

Good list. But imo Manning doesn't belong that high. I'd put him prolly in the 15 area myself.

I'd also put Elway at the top with Montana at 2. Elway was the most athletically gifted, clutchest 4th quarter QB ever. He just so happened to play in a weak conference vs great D's every early SB he played in imo.

I'd prolly replace Young with Marino too. :cheers:

Good list. But imo Manning doesn't belong that high. I'd put him prolly in the 15 area myself.

I'd also put Elway at the top with Montana at 2. Elway was the most athletically gifted, clutchest 4th quarter QB ever. He just so happened to play in a weak conference vs great D's every early SB he played in imo.

you'd also put Big Ben in your top 12 wouldn't ya?

I didn't realize football is an "I" game, silly me thought it was a "Team" game!

Who the f-ck said anything about it being an "I" game? Maybe I misread, so correct me if Im wrong but isnt this thread titled " What is Dan Marino's legacy? It isnt about the Miami Dolphins it's about 1 player and his legacy. The fact of the matter is Marino padded his numbers because he was pretty f-cking good, but at the end of the day he never won a Superbowl.

Dan Marino's legacy is this:

He was a quarterback in miami during a 'miami fad' started by Miami Vice. This made him popular. Now we discuss his legacy, because we're realizing the show was lame, pastel colors are lame, and maybe the Dolphins just weren't very good.

BTW I was just in a huge debate over this on another board. Give me a Ben over Peyton ANY day of the week. I know, i'm crazzzzzzy !

Any day? That's a tough call, man...

But I love Big Ben. Guy looks awkward as hell out there, but he makes plays, gets results, and wins. He takes a beating, though. I love his style - especially when you compare it to Manning dropping into the fetal position in the face of a rush - but it's going to catch up to him. If it hasn't already. The Steelers need to protect him, and he needs to protect himself a little bit, too.

Any day? That's a tough call, man...

But I love Big Ben. Guy looks awkward as hell out there, but he makes plays, gets results, and wins. He takes a beating, though. I love his style - especially when you compare it to Manning dropping into the fetal position in the face of a rush - but it's going to catch up to him. If it hasn't already. The Steelers need to protect him, and he needs to protect himself a little bit, too.

It's not so much they need to protect Ben better but Ben needs to protect Ben better IMO. He'll scramble and hold the ball forever looking for the big play. And he makes a ton of great plays that way. I actually think Ben is better suited for that no-huddle that Peyton runs.

But Ben HAS to mature and learn to throw the ball away or just take what the D gives him when a play is well covered.

As you stated, he is a double edged sword. When the rush gets to him he usually morphs into Elway and makes the back breaker play. When he don't, he gets hit and hit hard. But had he been like a Brady or Manning and either take the dive or toss it away people would be calling him a wuss. lol

Bottom line for me is that i'm hoping he finds that happy medium and pro-longs his career and pro-longs our chances for more SB's. But I wouldn't hesitate to choose him over Peyton.

FWIW, Marino has the most 4th Quarter comebacks of any QB in NFL History. Goes to show you how ****ty some of the Dolphin defenses were.

Also, take a quick look at Marino and Youngs numbers. It's laughable.

Archived